SNES mini
  • I loved Dream Course back in the day. Is Kirby Golf the same or a different game?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Star Fox 2: I get keeping things (the fps) the same to be faithful in the case of the first game but this was  never even released. Should have gotten it running smoothly imo, hardly a taxing game these days.

Yoshi's island is still a stunner. 

Time has not been so kind to SF2 Turbo - tho (most importantly) it still plays as well as I remember.
  • Coolbeans. In which case, another big fan of Kirby Golf right here.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If the SNES Mini Starfox 2 is the same as the ROM I played a couple of years ago it's not much more than a neat inclusion to stamp on the box.  They definitely should have polished it up a bit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yoshi's Island is a top 5 SNES game no fucking about
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is it better than Street Racer though
  • I'd be annoyed if they improved Star Fox 2, the whole point is that it's an emulation of the original system, not some other bollocks. It was a SNES game and did exist. May as well say they should have used Mario Allstars on the NES mini. Anyway, making an update would have been a whole new line of development and almost certainly have added to the price of the console.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is it better than Street Racer though

Maybe not the football game
  • AJ wrote:
    I'd be annoyed if they improved Star Fox 2, the whole point is that it's an emulation of the original system, not some other bollocks. It was a SNES game and did exist. May as well say they should have used Mario Allstars on the NES mini. Anyway, making an update would have been a whole new line of development and almost certainly have added to the price of the console.

I'm just talking about stabilising the framerate not any kind of redesign or visual upgrade - which I'm sure they could do by leveraging the much more powerful hardware its currently running on.
  • AJ wrote:
    I'd be annoyed if they improved Star Fox 2, the whole point is that it's an emulation of the original system, not some other bollocks. It was a SNES game and did exist.

Defo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • indigoDos wrote:
    I'm just talking about stabilising the framerate not any kind of redesign or visual upgrade - which I'm sure they could do by leveraging the much more powerful hardware its currently running on.

So was I.
  • I'm not seeing why it would take so much work to get such a (now) basic looking game running at a steady framerate. I mean it's just emulation isn't it?

9 years ago I was running Snes games on my mediocre laptop perfectly, with extra filters and AA options etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think AJ and Retro are getting at the idea that the little system, despite whatever is inside, is supposed to be a super Nintendo, therefore should be playing games as if they were on a super Nintendo, not a more powerful machine.
  • I'm in the middle somewhere - fix it up as if it were running on a SNES, turning it into something Nintendo might've slapped a seal of approval on in 1996, rather than cancelling.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think AJ and Retro are getting at the idea that the little system, despite whatever is inside, is supposed to be a super Nintendo, therefore should be playing games as if they were on a super Nintendo, not a more powerful machine.

Yes.

indigoDos wrote:
    I'm not seeing why it would take so much work to get such a (now) basic looking game running at a steady framerate.

Because it's a decent sized company doing software development.
  • @Reg Yeah, I get that. I just think Starfox 2 is a special case seeing as it never got an official release as a Snes game. First time anyone - officially -  gets to play it is on this little machine.

It just runs sooo badly that I won't be bothering with it. An optional boost-mode version would keep everyone happy shirley?
  • It runs at the same 20FPS the first one did, doesn't it?

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm in the middle somewhere - fix it up as if it were running on a SNES, turning it into something Nintendo might've slapped a seal of approval on in 1996, rather than cancelling.

IIRC, it was basically ready for release and the reason the reason they didn't was because they thought it wouldn't sell enough because the N64 was coming out.
  • It's more ambitious and less polished. Seems to run way worse.
  • Has the complete ROM been uploaded anywhere yet?

I'd like to play it but I'm not buying one of these just for it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    There's a lot of depth.

hahahahahahahahaha, cheers man needed that
  • AJ wrote:

Sweet, will try it out soon. By which I mean put it on the Pi and never play it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @indigo I'd have no objections to the ROM code being optimised to run better, or an emulated version with improved performance being released on something else, there's just something that irks me about sullying the purity of the offering with something that the SNES wasn't actually capable of.

Anyway, I get the impression it was thrown in as a little bonus, rather than anything else. i.e. it was this or no Star Fox 2.
  • I don't care about any of that to be honest. I like my games to run well, I'm sure that was the fox devs original vision for the game too but they were held back by the hardware.

You actually have to play through the first level of Starfox to unlock 2 and it doesn't come of well via the juxtaposition.

Like I said make it optional to keep everyone happy. I'd love to play the original at solid 30/60 fps, if the mini has the grunt for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kirby Golf (proper name Dream Shot) was a very late release. A lot of people had moved onto PS1 or Saturn so only those who waited for the N64 would have been in the frame for even seeing it on the shelf. Not a lot of people played it when it came out I imagine. Nice to see it get a good airing.

Street Racer was a great game technically but I found it a bit dull to play. Only played it in single mode though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thinking about it, Star Fox 2 would be totally unplayable at 60fps without a partial rewrite. It'd just run super fast as everything was tied to the frame times back then.
  • Internet says it is possible to boost the performance on the mini SNES and the Star Foxes do indeed speed up, rather just than getting a better frame rate.
  • The 32-bit Street Racer game was legit.  Quite a basic handling model, but polished and fun.  Borrowed it a few times on Saturn.
  • SNES one was decent tbf, I didn't know until recently how different the MD version was compared to the others. I wouldn't say bad as I've never played it, but its more if an into the screen Out Run looking game.

Might try it out on the Pi at some point, by which I mean put it on the Pi and never play it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!