Is it weird that so many games are about other people's jobs?
‹ Previous12
  • Like actual jobs people do.

It's easy to think of jobs like in papers please but I think it goes wider than that. Many of the most successful games are about transposing things people do for money into a novelty experience for the masses

We hand over our fifty quid or whatever just to do Wayne Rooney or Wenger's job.

Or we decide that entering the shoes of an army man because the of the idea that it's a good time?

I've been playing a game called Shenzhen IO which is a fantastic puzzler (so far) dressed as being a chip programmer in some small Chinese tech company.

Even games which are primarily about fantasy adventure manage to sneak in job systems.

It must say something that many humans take a break from labour by paying for the privilege to try a different form of labour.
  • I'd totally love to be a real ninja but Revenge of Shinobi is the closest I'll get, and that's OK with me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The games aren't jobs though. It just makes the premise less abstract. Or they're sports/ aspirational vocations.
  • They aren't jobs but they are aspirational vocations?!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How much do they pay elves to wander round the country thumping things?
  • Some games feel like work. Grinding is basically unpaid labour.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sports can now be jobs, but were originally simply games themselves.

Edit: even now, the majority of people who participate in sport aren't being paid for it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sports can now be jobs, but were originally simply games themselves.

Good point. Do you think it's interesting though that the most popular games of games are the best paying ones?

For example: where is pétanque simulator?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Presumably they're the best paying because they're the most popular?

But there are games which break that mould. Go carting and snowboarding aren't very popular, but Mario Kart and SSX are/were.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Presumably they're the best paying because they're the most popular? But there are games which break that mould. Go carting and snowboarding aren't very popular, but Mario Kart and SSX are/were.
    But then Go-Karting and snowboarding are expensive, and generally aren't something you can do at the local park...so playing games of those is closest most people can get to it (regularly at least).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Snowboarding and skiing are a lot more popular and cheaper on mainland europe, pretty much everyone i've met from there has done one or the other
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well yes, videogames tend to be a way of doing things that you can't normally. Even playing football in a game allows you to both play at a higher level than you probably can IRL and control a whole team.

Edit: Ram.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Snowboarding and skiing are a lot more popular and cheaper on mainland europe, pretty much everyone i've met from there has done one or the other

For sure, but equally there are large parts of the world where winter sports are almost entirely nonexistent owing to geography, Cool Runnings notwithstanding.
  • No, after the CRI (Cool Runnnings Initiative) winter sports are mandatory in all inappropriately climated countries
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Well yes, videogames tend to be a way of doing things that you can't normally. Even playing football in a game allows you to both play at a higher level than you probably can IRL and control a whole team. Edit: Ram.
    Indeed yes.

Anyway..
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The games aren't jobs though. It just makes the premise less abstract. Or they're sports/ aspirational vocations.
    this is what I think.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • In Super Mario Sunshine you're essentially doing Civic Work in lieu of punishment.

*extremely Escape voice* Confessions of an Italian Window Cleaner

That concept is taken a bit further in Viscera Cleanup Detail, where you clean up post-rampage gibs.

Surgeon Simulator and Trauma Centre turn surgery into hilarious nonsense and high stress challenge in that order.

Euro Truck Driving Simulator and its brethren are all about making long distance freight trips, and they are the thin end of the wedge for the simulator market (train driving sims are really big in Japan, down to their own weird controllers).

A lot of survival style or Minecraft analogues are quite heavy on farming and designing methods to cut down the farm, to automate labour, which is amusing too. Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley and Farming Simulator say hi too.

It likely all comes down to the fact that its very easy to systematise jobs, because they have a clear input/output, success/failure, reward/punishment system. I read a piece over on Waypoint recently that was complaining about games that graded you, saying that it put a lot of pressure on the player and made it feel like a chore rather than a game, because of the emphasis that it put on performing well. No surprise that it's most often found in Japanese games.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Densha De Go and Cooking Mama could both be added to that list

Not sure if the comment earlier meant that the most popular games about jobs are necessarily about high paid jobs. After all cooking doesn't always pay very well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Grading is really bad imo. It basically recontexutalises the majority of success into degrees of failure. (In the same way that any stars that aren't three in angrybirds don't really count as completing the level - particularly if you have that kind of mind tic).
  • Alternate take - it allows for progression.
  • My flat mate hates it, I've never been bothered by it. It's particularly rooted in a the Japanese sense of mind though, with all their tests and examinations and expectations. I like getting a big bunch of shiny S ranks, but I've never bothered to get good enough at anything to get 100%
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    where are all the games about emotional labour you misogynistic fucks xoxoxox
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Alternate take - it allows for progression.

I think beating a game could fulfill this. But I'm coming from a low arsed point of view and I'm rarely gonna do a thing twice just for a magical number bump but I can see how others might fancy putting the hours in (more work based rhetoric)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    where are all the games about emotional labour you misogynistic fucks xoxoxox

Catherine?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Making something a challenge may involve putting some work in, but it's very different from the tedious labour of grinding.

There's nothing wrong with work in games as such, and it doesn't have to have any relation to jobs. The best games make improvement and progress a pleasure.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Alternate take - it allows for progression.

Few games are good enough to warrant progressing in.
  • Overcooked is probably the most jobby (not that kind of jobby) kind of game I've played lately.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd say Densha De Go tbh
  • Other than fork lift driving I've literally never played a job simulation.
  • Have you played CoD?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wing C O M M A N D E R
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!