From bedrooms to billions
  • http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/78873

This is a kickstarter type thing for a documentary film about bedroom coding in Britain.It covers from the late 70's to the 80's and I remember playing lots of games written by these bedroom coders including loads of arcade conversions\copys.

I've pledged $50 since it's the sort of thing I would love to see being completed (and Dave perry has pledged over $300) so I thought I would try and spread the word.
    You rang.....
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Perhaps it should be the people who made money that the film is about who should be dipping into their pockets?

I think that if they are trying to raise funds for this then any contribution should be as investor with a potential return of more than a digital copy of the film.

I am in a ratty mood today though so you can probably ignore most of what I have just written...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Perhaps it should be the people who made money that the film is about who should be dipping into their pockets? I think that if they are trying to raise funds for this then any contribution should be as investor with a potential return of more than a digital copy of the film. I am in a ratty mood today though so you can probably ignore most of what I have just written...

The subjects of a documentary funding the documentary could be problematic.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Not if they're going to be the only people watching it!
  • They want $35,000? What the fuck for?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Miners' compo.
  • People they want to interview:

Jon Hare, Matthew Smith, Paul Drury, Archer Maclean, Geoff Crammond, Tim & Chris Stamper, Jeff Minter, Andrew Braybrook, The Pickford Bros, Oliver Twins,  Oliver Frey, Roger Kean, Franco Frey, Gary Penn, Gordon Houghton, Gary Liddon, Matthew Uffindel, Eugene Lacey, Steve Merrett, Gary Bracey, Iain Lee, Chris Anderson, David Braben, Sandy White, Malcolm Evans, Jon Ritman, Ian Livingstone, The Pickford Brothers, Violet Berlin, Fred Harris, Rob Hubbard, Ben Dalglish, Ally Noble, Malcolm Evans, Stuart Fotheringham, Kevin Toms, David Leitch, Jon Gibson, Tony Crowther, Lee Kirton, Eugene Evans, Simon Munnery, Dominic Wheatley, Geoff Brown, David Darling, Bruce Everiss

That might go a way to explaining it. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be too cheap to get to all of those people, and it's likely to take a fair while to do.

Also, they live in London, so double your costs.
  • WorKid wrote:
    They want $35,000? What the fuck for?
    Making a film????
    You rang.....
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This has gone into it's second phase with a kickstarter.
    The first campaign was to raise funds to go and complete the filming and principle photography for the film. Thanks to you and the others that backed our campaign we raised enough to do this, so we’ve been filming almost continuously throughout 2012 and are very close to completing all filming in 2013.However as is common with many films financed via crowdfunding, money is now needed to complete post-production, to secure archive footage, stills, music usage and clearances. Without these crucial elements the film would simply be 2 hours of talking heads and not the true and lasting documentary movie experience that the subject matter deserves. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195082866/from-bedrooms-to-billions
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I don't see how a second phase should get a kickstarter. Isn't that against the entire principle of kickstarting?!
  • However as is common with many films financed via crowdfunding, money is now needed to complete
    Or any mis-managed project.
  • cynical translation:

we can't believe people stumped up for us to piss about for a year, could you please do it again?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    If they'd interviewed Raffaele Cecco I'd be tempted to kick in a fiver, but fuck it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Well of the films I've backed, they're all behind on their delivery date despite the films being cut and shown at private/industry events which is quite perplexing. I think any future pledging in the arts won't include film.

Waiting on the Bill Waterson docu & K2 docu amongst others. Though the Waterson one isn't behind. Yet.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Raf_Cecco-Nick_Jones-Hugh_Binns.jpg

I Got Next'll take some beating for delays.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!