Fortnite - Tower defence Loot 'em up!
  • Cool thanks. I spent some time this morning mowing down ice legion on a quad-bike so hope to get through the ice challenges too!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • From the Fortnite news page, regarding the loot boxes (or llamas) in the PvE, Save the World, mode. 

"Since launch, we've been refining the way you expand your item collection. We previously introduced loot drops, the ability to directly acquire any non-event item through the Collection Book, Llama dupe prevention, as well as gameplay-based event rewards, and now we're ready to take the next big step.
    Introducing "X-Ray" Llamas! Previously known as V-Buck Llamas, X-Ray Llamas will now show you the contents before you purchase it. Not interested in what the Llama offers? Simply wait until the daily store refresh and there will be a new selection."

This is unexpected and welcome.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Played this for the first time the other day, on the Switch. My nephew got his Switch earlier this week so needed to be prepared but haven't heard anything since.

I was surprised by how it runs, 30fps doesn't feel smooth with this game at all. B was playing on PC so I installed it there as well, but haven't had a look yet. Was pretty fun to be able to play it with the two of us in a party though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So, what't the best way to get at least decent in this game? I seem to be doing fine until someone else shows up.

Have been playing this a bit with my nephew and his dad, did duo's this morning. Looking trough the killcam after getting killed and that's a whole other skill level that I'm seeing. No way I can actually switch between building and shooting that quickly.
    We got top 10 a couple times but that was just because there's no one else around. 

Can you rearrange the weapons? Like heaving a grenade under 5 and main weapons under 1 and 2 or something? Are the vehicles actually useful? It's an easy way to get spotted, but my nephew likes them (he's only 8, and very excited).

Would like to get into the top 3 or something with him at some point. Some good videos would be nice.
  • Haven't played for ages, and can't say I ever got particularly good (best finish was 3rd IIRC) but you'll find life easier if you take the battle bus to the farther reaches of the map and drop where it's more deserted, giving you time to rinse some of the buildings and acquire some decent guns before you encounter anyone. It's more likely you'll be able to take opponents from behind as you catch them trying to outrun the perimeter at the same time as you.

The main obstacle to becoming good at the game for me seemed to be in quick tower/defence building, but I never really put the time in to get to that point. Once you're confident with the run & gun side, get to work on the building, then you should hopefully be clocking up top 10 finishes 4/5 games.
    PSN ID - s-revill
  • Yeah, the skill gap in this game is insane, particularly regarding building. And honestly, the only way to get better is to play and practice - watch what others do and try and emulate some of it. Positioning and general game awareness are also things that are only gonna come with time. There's also luck. Like any Battle Royale, getting lucky with your drop, your loot, the circle, the positions of other players, etc, can all be game changing.

But seriously, if I can get wins regularly (when I actually bother to play the main modes) then anyone can.

Edit: Oh, and yes you can move to your inventory around.
  • I do tend to recommend to anyone new to the game that they jump into the various Limited Time Modes that are available.

Currently it's Team Rumble - 2 large teams, first team to 100 kills wins. Respawns are enabled so it doesn't matter if you get beat, just jump back in and try again. You'll begin to learn the map, you can practice your building in a non-stressfull environment, and you'll get to see more combat in a single game of that than in an hour of normal BR.

Regarding tips vids, I wouldn't even know where to start I'm afraid. I haven't watched anything like that since the game came out, and it's changed so much that none of that stuff is relevant anymore.
  • Handy thing I only copped last night is when you go to the rearrange weapons screen(up on d-pad?), it shows the DPS for each weapon so you know what's more powerful.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    And honestly, the only way to get better is to play and practice - watch what others do and try and emulate some of it.
    Yeah I was afraid this was the case. I might put on some Twitch in the background while studying and try to pick up some tips.

Played some Team Rumble the first time I started it, was definitely a good thing to get used to the map etc. I'll see if my nephew is up for that next time, I've mainly been following him around and want to feel slightly less useless. To be fair he sounds happy enough whenever he finds a weapon he likes or a balloon or whatever.

Don't think I'll ever put enough time into this to get anywhere but as long as my nephew enjoys it I'll play with him.
  • Anyone interested in a dance off in an abandoned mansion?! The only challenge I've yet to complete as it requires company.
  • If you’re on PS4 then I’m up for doing that one fella
  • Hello stranger, how's life?
    Bone only I'm afraid. Got it done the other day in rumble. Just went to the basement on the wrong side of the map, some random enemy came in and started the dance-off and left me to it! Faith restored. :)
  • Fortnite has PS4 / Bone crossplay btw, you just need to add each other through Epic Friends.  The in-game voice chat is entirely acceptable.
  • Make it so Jimmy, there's less typing for you to add me! :D
  • Today's update comes with Overtime challenges to do before Season 8 starts. Complete 13 of these challenges by Feb 27 and you'll get the Season 8 Battlepass for free!

The Battlepass is a huge money maker. Apex has really got 'em worried, eh?
  • I don't know how to take that news. I asked about earning enough v-bucks to pay for the next BP and got a bit too into the challenges and now they're gonna give away the next BP?! YAY, I think? I guess my boy will want to buy a new dance or something with the savings.
  • Yeah, exactly. Just think of the Vbucks you've got as a nice lil bonus from Epic.

And honestly, doing the challenges is the only real thing that's keeping me playing. I've clocked well over 1000 hours on BR and the burn-out is real. I wasn't sure if I was gonna buy the next Battlepass, but I'll absolutely do the challenges to get it for free.
  • If I'd known I'd never have bought S7!
  • I think you have to be an existing Battlepass holder to get these new Overtime challenges for that free S8 pass.

There are a bunch of special valentine challenges available as well, but they're open to everyone.
  • These new challenges don't look too exciting.
  • Haven't seen them yet but that's always been an issue, some weeks are fun but others pretty much suck.
  • It's ok,they're pretty standard but for some reason only half of what should have been revealed were showing for me when I first logged in. Need to place in top 15 three times in duos though, so if anyone fancies hiding in a corner with me for three matches, let me know.
  • If Jimmy's not available I should be able to hide in a corner with you for 3 matches sometime this weekend.
  • I’m about on Sunday if that’s any good?
  • Not sure Jimmy but add me to your epic friends and we'll get a game at some stage. What's your epic name Stormy? I'll add you on Bone later anyway.
  • It's just stormyskiesahead. I think.
  • So we're more than halfway through Season 8 and I thought I'd give a lil update on my thoughts about the current state of Fortnite BR.

The constantly evolving nature of this game really is something else, from the never ending flood of new items, weapons, and consumables, to the map changes and seasonal events.  This season saw the reworking of the entire North East section of the map to go with the current pirate theme, including a new tropical biome featuring a huge-ass volcano, rivers of lava, Aztec / Mayan style temples, and a lagoon complete with a moored pirate ship.  We also got big changes and additions to Creative mode, with some stunning player designed featured maps and game modes, and the Block (an area of the actual BR map that changes to a new player built creation every week) continues to impress.  The entire fontend also looks fantastic, with reworked menus to go with those lovely and ever changing lobby screens. 

xvJazQ7.jpg

1wz3UnW.jpg

Gameplay wise we have newly added solo and duo Competitive modes, and an expansion of the various in-game tournaments that have been going on for a while now.  Success in these can lead to serious prize money and give normal players the chance to compete in Epic supported Esports events alongside some of the biggest names on Twitch.

The thing is, I'm not enjoying the main BR game any more, and it's been going this way for a while.  Turbo-building was the beginning of the end for me.  The skill gap in this game always was crazy, but turbo-building took that skill gap to a level I've never experienced in a competitive shooter before.  You're effectively playing two games at once, a normal shooter with all the game awareness, positioning and aiming skillz that requires - and an absurdly difficult free-form puzzle building game.  It used to be a nice 50/50 balance between building and shooting, now it's more like 90/10 in favour of building.  But not old-style wall and ramp building, we're talking 30 story skyscraper in 1.7 seconds building.  I simply lack the mental and physical dexterity to compete in what this game has become, and it's feels bad (still managed to get a winners umbrella in every season since launch though).  

However, Epic realised long ago that there were many, many people like me around, and so they created the large team Limited Time Modes.  50v50, Team Rumble, Disco Domination, etc.  Modes that feature either 32 or 50 people per side, some with respawns enabled, some with objectives to play around.  Building is still everywhere but it's not the dominant factor, shooting is king.  These modes have been a blast, and are quite honestly the only reason I'm still playing BR at all. 

Another thing this game has absolutely nailed is the moentization.  No loot boxes, you buy what you want, and Fortnite's cosmetics are in a league of their own.  The skins are phenomenal, as are the matching gliders, backpacks, picks, and weapon wraps.  Then there's the emotes, from general pop culture, to K-pop dances, to unapologetic trolling.  They're a joy.  And then there's the Battle Pass, the quality and quantity of content here is unmatched by any of the sorry attempts of it's rivals, and the addition of weekly, event, and skin related challenges and rewards (some of which are available to non-Battle Pass holders, as with the daily challenges) give you plenty to grind for, and even give people who don't feel like playing the core game modes a reason to mess around in the general sandbox. 

ZIDy2Fi.jpg

ODsbtoD.jpg

So yeah, Fortnite BR.  A game I'm not enjoying in the same way I used to, but that I am still enjoying.  It's a funny one. 

Anyhoo, here's some shotties and snipes.  From LTM's.  Obvs.

• Skill gap in this really is titanic now. Imagine being a new player trying to play solos or duos nowadays? 
    I've got a couple of solo wins this season but I'm not really playing anymore. it's too frustrating. I just end up raging about sweatlords and no-lifers.
  • I've never won. :( I only play to complete challenges and level up the Battle Pass to get loot for my son. Mostly do these in Team Rumble. The end game in other modes is too full on with the building so I don't know if I'll ever get an umbrella for him.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    Skill gap in this really is titanic now. Imagine being a new player trying to play solos or duos nowadays? 
    I've got a couple of solo wins this season but I'm not really playing anymore. it's too frustrating. I just end up raging about sweatlords and no-lifers.

I feel that. Haven't won a solo game this season, got a bunch of 2nd and 3rd places but the people who've killed me have been so much better at building the outcome was never in doubt. And yeah, really don't know how anyone gets into this these days. Must be soul destroying to even try for the average player.

Hodge360 wrote:
    I've never won. :( I only play to complete challenges and level up the Battle Pass to get loot for my son. Mostly do these in Team Rumble. The end game in other modes is too full on with the building so I don't know if I'll ever get an umbrella for him.

I didn't think I'd get an umbrella this season either, but I got lucky. Was playing solo in squads to do a daily challenge, avoiding all combat to outlive as many as possible. Got down to the final handful of people so I sent some grenades into the build battle that had just finished in front of me for the lols, fully expecting to get murderised quick sharp. Turns out there was only one still standing and my grenades got 'em.

'Twas the cheekiest, most undeserving win I've ever got. But I'll take it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!