All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Here is what your childhood perpetual motion looks like NOW.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Unsure how this worked but might be useful, might also create more worry, sorry fella

https://laqm.defra.gov.uk/tools-monitoring-data/no2-falloff.html
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Officially fed up with the noisy pricks in our immediate area so put together a list of things to fix/improve around the house with a view to getting the best sale value for a reasonable spend. House on the market sometime next year then, all being well.

As I'm sure a fair amount of first time buys are, this one has been lessons learnt the hard way. Several things we would never have known about without living here for a few months but certainly a few that we overlooked or didn't appreciate the impact of at the time.

One particularly annoying expense is trees growing on council land on your property boundary. I naively assumed the council would manage these if they grew significantly into your property but of course they don't. My fault for not checking first but initially it seemed like a good thing as it was barrier to the car park a bit beyond.

Anyway, lessons learnt as said so the next search will have much better defined criteria!
  • Appreciate the tree issue Cosby but it's important to note having a tree lined street adds thousands to your property price. So whilst it might not be best to have one directly outside your bedroom window, it is good to have them. Promoting sensible tree planting down residential streets should be made a priority from a public health perspective which leads me nicely on to

Dino's post... planting broadleaf trees like the Indian bean tree (best one) or surprisingly some coniferous trees capture huge quants of particulate matter (PM2.5) and nitrogen dioxide which would have significant benefits for you and your neighbours health. It's just a shame you paved over your garden !!

Round my way they are removing the larger street trees and replacing them with tiny fruiting trees which do very little.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • They cut one down outside mine, left a waist high stump.
    Someone drives into it at least once a fortnight.
  • You should lease it to the local Safety Camera Partnership as a speed camera site.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Appreciate the tree issue Cosby but it's important to note having a tree lined street adds thousands to your property price. So whilst it might not be best to have one directly outside your bedroom window, it is good to have them.

That would be more manageable but no trees on our street unfortunately. This one is on the other side of our garden wall which backs on to a council owned car park for a sports facility. It certainly needs some kind of greenery as a barrier but this thing has turned into a monster in the time we've been there and no side access makes it tricky to get the right equiment in to tackle the bugger.

Think I'll have to request that a contractor get access from the council side to trim it back. I'm sure that'll just take a quick phone call to organise...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tree surgeons are expensive.  I spent 2 effing grand on one last year during our landscaping project.

That involved the removal of two very large trees mind and lots of pruning back of what was left.  :/

So a prune might be reasonable but it won't be cheap if it's a "proper" tree surgeon.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, the expense was my concern. We've had another tree in our garden sprout up pretty quickly over the last few months that I think we will have to get removed before it starts to cause problems. Whole garden does need landscaping really but lower on the list of priorities for now.
  • Not sure how much I mentioned about our little property hunt and offer etc. 

Saw couple of houses; liked them both, different pros and cons to each, made an offer on one, negotiated price, mortgage went through, building survey done (nothing major to worry about), got a builder in to have a look too (he thinks good prospect and also nothing major, just lots of renovation and modernisation)...

Now waiting for searches etc to finish and seller’s solicitors to clarify a couple of points.

All quite exciting really but wife gets stressed out about every little thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Sounds like you’re nearly at the finish line. Time for a celebratory beer tonight, mayber.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Exciting. I look forward to the house warming.
  • So, I’ve had a shocker of a phone call.

You know how, in the building trade, a lot of things are done cash in hand? No big deal, happens all the time. Just a bit here and there to reduce your overall bill by avoiding a bit of tax.

Well. That happened on our flat refurb. The project manager was amazing. On site every morning from 6am. Really proactive. Nothing was too much bother. He ran a tight ship.

He offered to help us keep the price down a bit by taking some payments in cash. Not all of it, of course. Just when he had materials to buy, for our job or for others, he could take cash from us towards our bill and use that cash to buy his materials in. Win-win.

So, bit by bit, here and there, I paid around £21k of our bill as cash transfers into his personal bank account. He knocked them all off our final invoice.

Then, at the end of the project, we got a full invoice for the entire job from the company on proper headed paper. With none of our cash payments knocked off. Uh-oh.

I phoned the owner of the firm and explained what that we’d already paid in full, and how we’d done it. He said that was fine. No problem. But did I have any records of all the transactions? Of course I did, so I sent him bank statements showing all the payments and transcripts of all the text messages where his man had solicited the payments from us.

Guess who’s now been fired and is under investigation for embezzling?

Not one of those payments made it to the company. He kept it all. And he’s been doing it with tons of clients, big and small.
  • Fuck.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Bonkers to think you could get away with that? I guess a lot of people were just paying the final bill without any consideration?!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ouch, good job you're covered, but what a dozy twat, no way he could get away with that even medium term. Just hope he had enough lucrative concurrent contracts to make it worth his while
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bonkers to think you could get away with that? I guess a lot of people were just paying the final bill without any consideration?!

I imagine some people didn't keep records, either, and that some might have paid up out of fear as being exposed as being complicit in trying to help someone avoid tax.
  • I’m counting myself lucky that the owner of the firm is a good bloke and isn’t demanding that I pay up again.

Technically, it’s me that’s been scammed. By one of his senior employees, under guise of his company, but still.
  • Something’s wrong with the guy, obviously. He broke down in tears when confronted by his boss.

He’s not drunk, or drugged. He worked his arse off on all of his projects and was very good at his job. But he was desperate for a lot of money for something. Gambling debt maybe? Fuck knows. Whatever this money was for, he doesn’t seem to still have it. And he only stopped because he’s been caught.
  • Dodged a bullet there mate.

Sometimes it is just pure greed. Or entitlement, he is working hard and not receiving his perceived share. It is amazing how people can piss through money that isn't theirs though.

I remember a guy at John Lewis got put away for embezzlement. He was going into orders for TVs and such that had been delivered, then changing the card details to his own and having Saturday staff  put the orders through as refunds. He was always going to get caught one way or another but it was actually his bank that reported him and worked with John Lewis to work out why he was having £1000s of electrical goods returned to his card that he hadn't paid for.

This is why shops insist on refunding onto the same card.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds like a gambling problem.

I bet a lot of people just lifted cash and handed it over - would have been trickier to prove that way maybe?
  • I’m guessing gambling, hookers, or both. But it’s just guesswork. Like I said, fuck knows.
  • If he did know he'd eventually be caught, he must have been under serious pressure to get that amount of cash. He'll probably be having to do some jail time, but that may actually be preferable than not paying up whoever he owed.

Be aware, that you may be called on to give evidence if this does go to court.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Do you have to pay VAT?
  • It’s probably not going to go to criminal charges. That’s one option the company owner is considering, but he says it’s the least likely. If he did report everything, he’d be on the hook for a lot of stuff too – all the things that would come out in evidence would show up other ‘cash in hand’ irregularities too.

Even in that case, it’s doubtful I’d get chased up. As far as the records are concerned, I paid the only official invoice I received, including VAT. Not my fault the company didn’t officially invoice me the rest.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We have been having an intermittent power trip issue.

It has been happening on and off for a couple of years now - since we had an extension done.

Have identified a few culprits (an outside had water inside it, a leak and damaged a power outlet etc.) but it hasn't ever really gone away.

It happened when on holiday when the house was empty for a week. No trips had happened in months. It has been a bit of a mystery.

The electrician has tried various things to identify the source but to no avail. He had proposed replacing the board with one that has an RCD on each circuit so that only the culprit circuit would trip but we had put that off.

I had been suspicious of the supply. The power had tripped a few times during the night and it was always accompanied by an alarm up the street going off.

Last night it all went nuts - power tripped 3 times in 20mins but then the street lights went bonkers as well - making noises like a Universal film Frankenstein lab set. There was an alarming smell too.

So we rang the electric board (called NIE here) and today the guys are out digging up the road.

Hope this is what has been the underlying problem. Though I'll probably still get the electrician to replace the board with a multiple trip/RCD configuration.
  • Should exchange contracts shortly! Excite!

We initially went for my 40th birthday for completion. But I kept asking my wife if that would be ok... like, you sure you haven’t planned for us to be elsewhere hint hint... she eventually said O yeah let’s do next day instead!

So excited!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hylian how long and how many viewings did it take you to find the right house?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!