All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Pro-tip:  do not buy a large house requiring extensive renovation when your wife is seven months pregnant.

Ho-boy, tell me about it.

I'd removed our seventies installed handrail/balustrade that runs around our landing at one point to replace with fancy frameless glass balustrade.  The wife forgot the handrail wasn't there one afternoon, took a step back and plunged straight into the hallway below, stopping only to crack a vertebra on our new oak stairs.

Oh, how we joke about that day now.
  • We are now discussing selling up, living in a caravan and doing a self build grand design.

I think we'll just end up getting divorced and turning into permanent gypsy travellers.
  • Getting new kitchen fitted next week. Off to IKEA today. Buy lots of stuff that we don't need.
  • Don't forget that amongst the many items that you don't need from the marketplace, you also need to pick up some flat pack that's too long to fit in the car.
  • We're getting a new kitchen. Some guy is going to make it with his own hands as our kitchen doesn't have many right angles.
  • His minecraft creations were ace, you're in for a treat.
  • We are now discussing selling up, living in a caravan and doing a self build grand design.

I think we'll just end up getting divorced and turning into permanent gypsy travellers.

Make sure to time the pregnancy to happen right in the middle of the build.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I never moved any further with home automation. I'll certainly look to add in some Smart kit at some stage but I may hold fire for a few years and wait until we have moved to a larger property (and the tech has improved some more).

We finished redoing the bathroom recently. We put in new lino, painted the tiles white, and swapped out the bath panel, toilet, and sink. I would have liked to get a whole new bath but the time was not right. The taps are janky too so we are having someone around this week. Will add pics later - The tile paint came out much better than I thought it would.

We are having new carpets fitted today so I need to pull up the old ones this morning. Can't be hard, right?
  • Taking up carpets is pretty easy, just not a nice job, particularly if it’s a cheap carpet mounted on rubber. Then the joys of taking up the, usually disgusting, old underlay.

We had anew bathroom and kitchen fitted last year. Such an improvement. Amused me that the fitters got one of the simplest jobs wrong - they fitted the toilet roll holder upside down.
  • I did my home office carpet last week.
    Under the old carpet was loads and loads of sand randomly.

Anyway, replaced it with some carpet tiles, found some good ones online as all the ones from stores are super thin and shit looking.

The office looks great now, just need to put picture rail up and it's another room done.
  • I've got some vouchers coming from work in a few days, £200 I think.  I spent a bit of time at the weekend pondering what to spend it on - has to be something non-essential and frivolous, obviously - I'm the one who's been shoving newspapers through scanners for 15 years, not the rest of the Moot clan.   So I nearly went for this wooden garden bar, because the sun was out (also the reason I bought two deckchairs), but then I thought nah, I'll make my own.  So I'm off to Wickes later to buy a plank of wood to wedge between two fence posts so it overhangs like a shelf/bar, then nail it in place.  Then check Ebay for a couple of bar stools.

Then spend the other £160ish on more unnecessary tat.  YAY.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fucking baby boomers
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • An artist's impression:

bar.png

Got an artificial lawn, obvs.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Fucking baby boomers

Yeah this thread is a bit gauche imo. Or would be if we had any regular youngsters beyond Temps.
  • Temps is 63 now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The scamp
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Brooks wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Fucking baby boomers
    Yeah this thread is a bit gauche imo. Or would be if we had any regular youngsters beyond Temps.

I demand recognition.
  • If it’s any help I am not even technically allowed to put picture frames up on the walls

This may add some weighting
  • Did the Boy’s room in Feb. Here is a rubbish pic:

WnCJ2uO.jpg
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Painted the lass’s room over the weekend. Gonna do a pic after we get some new furniture and decide on which frame to put up. It’s between main Journey pic, which was already up on wall, and sunset village from Okami.
  • We are having new carpets fitted today so I need to pull up the old ones this morning. Can't be hard, right?

I did that for two rooms. Late night before carpet fitters arrived early morning. Easy but can be tiring. A new utility knife goes through them like hot knife through butter.
  • Every bloke should have a Leatherman multitool in their arsenal. They are awesome.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Every bloke should have a Leatherman multitool in their arsenal. They are awesome.

Agreed.
  • The hardest part of pulling up carpets is moving the furniture.
    Be careful of the gripper board mind, that stuff is the fuck, trod on a bit the other day in bare feet, felt the nails slowly piercing into my heel.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Every bloke should have a Leatherman multitool in their arsenal. They are awesome.
    They are indeed. i have two!

We have agreed to stay another year in our rented property and negotiated a nice discount on the monthly rent in exchange for doing a little work on the property for the landlord. (I wanted to do these things anyway and was planning on asking him last year but kids and work and everything got in the way)

I'm soon gonna rip up the old rotting patio decking at replace it with all fresh boards and I can't wait.
    Plus I need to demolish the old shed (it was falling to pieces when we moved in, was full of spiders and has NEVER been opened since) so I get to play with my sledgehammer and saw. 
    I'm so excited.

My wife and kids go away for a week on thursday so first thing I'm doing is removing all of the furniture and giving the carpets a deep clean with a big old Rug Doctor machine.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Overpowered Multitool is it?
  • Brooks wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Fucking baby boomers
    Is it really? Might mention showboating in the OP but nobody here is uncool enough to bang on about how well off they are... are they? If anyone feels uncomfortable about people talking about laminate vs carpet, more fool them.

Carpets were a doddle as it turned out. As mentioned, moving the furniture was the real killer.
  • I am sorry to report that if you own a house I am going to have to eat you eventually

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!