All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • I really want to turn the room into a proper study but it's been earmarked for another baby so I'm not allowed to go all in.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If it’s any help I am not even technically allowed to put picture frames up on the walls

This may add some weighting

Same. Fucking ludicrous private landlord wankery.

Tempy wrote:
    I am sorry to report that if you own a house I am going to have to eat you eventually

The revolution will not be televised, but we will feature on 'It's Alive' on YouTube. Unless Brad is also a filthy degenerate property owner.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I am only joshing about the homeowners before they get upset (in their cheap forts they've bought to shield themselves from the proles) but I wonder who will be the first Buy To Let Badger? My money would be on Griff, but I think he's more likely to buy a giant statue.
  • This is living?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Griff has three kids in private schooling, i think a buy-to-let maybe some way off with those eye watering private school term fees.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am only joshing about the homeowners before they get upset

Not falling for that. You're just after my sweet dark flesh.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am only joshing about the homeowners before they get upset (in their cheap forts they've bought to shield themselves from the proles) but I wonder who will be the first Buy To Let Badger? My money would be on Griff, but I think he's more likely to buy a giant statue.

Hello.

It’s part of my pension and has mainly come along through having parents six feet under before I got to 20.
  • Sorray, to clarify; not six feet under, simply burnt and crushed and popped in a small jar and burried a couple of feet under.
  • I'm taking my bib off
  • My dad wasn’t a homeowner. My mum isn’t. I’m not. Of my 4 siblings, only one is.

I’m hoping I’ll be a homeowner at some point. But over £600k for a decent size house? Fucking hell.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Builders are just finishing off a new kitchen installation along with an extension to the rear of the house, joining up said new kitchen with existing sun room. It’s been disruptive to say the least. Originally estimated (by the builder I hasten to add) as a 6 week job, were now into week 16.

He’d saying it’ll all he done by Wednesday- which Wednesday I have no idea.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • A word of advice for anyone whos thinking of buying and building a Ikea Pax sliding doors wardrobe. GET IKEA TO BUILD IT FOR YOU.

Its a knackering, long arduous build. I've finally finished it, including all the drawers etc, too best part of 3 days.

Now i have to make a start on painting and decorating our spare room into a nursey.
  • Had a load of Pax wardrobes left in my flat when I moved in (previous owners offered and I said I would have them).
    They are heavy as fuck, especially the mirror doors.
    Just decorated the bedroom and having to move them to paint the walls then again for the flooring was a right arse.

I feel your pain.

Also I managed to gouge my scalp on the trouser rail thing every damn time.
  • Getting the 2nd sliding door onto both rails simultaneously took us over 20 attempts. That was awful.
  • Luckily mine are hinged so missed that headache, I can well imagine.
  • Our downstairs neighbour decided to turn her two-level basement flat into an open plan space. She hired entirely the worst structural engineer I’ve ever met and some total cowboy contractors. They fucked the whole building, all five floors of it, by failing to use sufficient propping when removing all the basement’s structural walls.

Fast forward 18 months, skipping past some truly mind-blowing stories of incompetency from her builders and her engineer, and we are finally about to start on repairs to our flat. At the same time, we’re renovating and redecorating the whole place – we had plans anyway, which we’ve had to put on hold until now because of all the damage. Also, our repairs require the stripping out of the whole flat anyway – right back to a shell, including removal of ceilings and stripping back of walls – so why not rebuild it the way we want to?

So our insurers are giving us a cheque for the full cost of repairs, rehousing during the repairs, etc etc. That’s going to be knocking on for £50k in total. We‘re topping that up to whatever it costs once all our extras are included (new bathroom, new kitchen, raising the ceilings, moving radiators, etc).

So last night we got the keys to our new temporary rented flat, just along the street. It’s even bigger than our own place and it’s ours for a few months and now I feel like a total class traitor with two fancy fucking houses in the one street. It’s all a bit strange.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Heh. A taste of how the other half live eh? Should probably be the other 1% now I guess.

Out of interest, how come your insurers are paying out and not your clearly moronic neighbour's insurer if her work caused all the damage?
  • The moronic neighbour refused to give us her insurance details, so we’re claiming on ours as ‘accidental damage’ by her contractors. They’ll be reclaiming all the money from her after it’s all completed and final amounts are confirmed - even if they have to sue her to get it. 

It’s really nice to be able to leave all that side of it to some professionals, after we spent months and months worrying over it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, fair play. Let them fight it out. Sounds like you're making the best of the situation anyway.
  • We’ll start looking around for a new home once it’s all finished anyway (long term, no rush). Don’t fancy staying forever in a place where the neighbour now hates us enough to try and take out a restraining order against my wife …
  • Good to see things are progressing Pop.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Wow. Toxic neighbours are for sure the worst. Hopefully all the work will benefit you when it comes to selling at least.
  • Aye, that’s the idea. Anyway, it could take us years to find our next place – might as well make this one nice while we live in it.
  • poprock wrote:
    Don’t fancy staying forever in a place where the neighbour now hates us enough to try and take out a restraining order against my wife …

Are you one of those annoying neighbours that gets upset about collapsing floors and walls?
  • Good to see things are progressing Pop.

Yeah, sorry you’ve had to hear the rant more than once.

(Give me a shout if you fancy a pint this weekend. Think I’m around for all of it, for a change.)
  • Looking at flats in Brixton on Friday, shared ownership scheme. Got approved on the affordability, so hopefully if it looks good I'll finally be starting the (partial) home buying process at the ripe old age of 37.

Shout out buy to let scumbags, shout out allowing rampant capitalism and profiteering to enter the housing market, shout out estate agents paid on commission based on the house selling price. Special shout out anyone involved in the legislation making these things possible or voting for the people that did. Thanks, i hate it, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh I might be. I'll let you know.
  • Are you one of those annoying neighbours that gets upset about collapsing floors and walls?

Totally unreasonable, that’s me.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Looking at flats in Brixton on Friday, shared ownership scheme. Got approved on the affordability, so hopefully if it looks good I'll finally be starting the (partial) home buying process at the ripe old age of 37.

Here, that shared ownership stuff seems like a decent way to go in London. I’ve got a few friends who’ve been there and done that. Best o’luck.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good luck Rouj, get yourself ensconced in the Prince Albert, lovely pub in a thoroughly decent part of town
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!