All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well that sounds like some kind of admission of inferiority. Rubber keys forever!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Guess the context there.
  • ZX Spectrum for life.

Commodore can just fuck off.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    128K for the win.
  • I had a speccy and a c64 don't @ me.

(Speccy was best)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had a 464. It should have been better than the Spectrum - and was when it got games built for it. 

But it wasn't better.

It suffered from port-itis.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I also had a 464 and you're right about some of the ports, but when the games were made well it was excellent.  It even had a decent version of Sim City.

The Outrun port was insanely bad though.  I seem to remember it came with a separate music cassette that you were supposed to play next to the computer, because they couldn't be arsed coding it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus....
  • I remember getting a cassette of the arcade Out Run soundtrack free on a magazine cover. Probably Crash?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Not really sure it's going that well with my garden. The only thing that I've seemed to grow are some fungus.

My lavender that I transplanted from a pot seems to not have changed in the last 1,5 month, still mostly brown around the base but green at the tips. Not sure what it wants. 
    My new lavender that I bought is unchanged, but this is where the fungus is so I suspect it can't get anything from the soil.
    My sweet basil just doesn't grown big leaves anymore, and I suspect the rabbit and birds of eating it before I can. Was transplanted from a pot as well, so might just be done.
    My tomatillos seem to be growing the leavy husks. Hopefully that'll turn into something.
    My jalapenos I'm not sure about, some flowers seem to wither without making a pepper, but it looks like I have two going on the plant I transferred from pot. The new one isn't showing any pepper at all yet.
    That also goes for my chille arbol, no sign of peppers yet.
    Both my roma and cherry tomatoes do show a few green tomatoes, but I also saw quite a few small birds in there the other day, hopefully they'll not get to them before I can.
    My cucumber plants only have male flowers so far, can't see the female yet and I don't have bees in my garden anyway. Also planted them too closely together probably, it's fun seeing them climb up though.
    All my cucumber / tomatoes / pepper plants seem to show leaves with a white trail through them. Probably a bug, and supposed to not harm the actual plant, so just need to keep track of new ones and cut them off.
    Thai basil keeps going in bloom, and isn't producing big leaves anymore, so I'll let that one.
    Rosemary seems fine, sage had a small growth spurt a few weeks ago but isn't doing much, lemon thyme isn't really growing, same for oregano (although that also came from a pot, might be done), lemon verbena seems ok.
    My nasturtiums seem to be recovering from the butterfly worm, 1 died, 5 plants left, only one has produced a flower so far. That wilted the next day.
    Both my flat leaf and curly parsley seem to be doing better after i've put down some mulch. 
    Not sure about my garlic chives.
    What was sold to me as scented geraniums isn't doing much, and it also doesn't look like the images google gives me if I search for it. 
    At least the plant that's under the tree is producing some nice flowers, I used to have million bells there but they needed more sun. What's there now was recommended to me as a plant that likes shade. Good thing it's still going as it was over $20.

And I just realized most of my garden is in shade now by noon, apart from the tops of the taller plants. 

Will probably transfer my herbs that aren't doing much to pots this week. And then I'll have all winter to reconsider what I'll do with the garden in spring. There's definitely a lot of old weeds / plants coming up that I haven't dug out properly, so that's probably stagnating growth for some of the newer plants as well.
  • Thought I posted in the wrong thread so deleted but turns out it was the right thread.
    I've been huffing too much roundup
  • Was off to look at some garden furniture yesterday, took a wrong turn and ended up in an area with utterly ridiculous houses (multi million plus). One of the roads was called 'Fireball Hill', when i said to missus id buy a house on that road and call it 'Hadouken House', she just rolled her eyes. I thought it was funny anyway.
  • Nina wrote:
    Not really sure it's going that well with my garden. The only thing that I've seemed to grow are some fungus. My lavender that I transplanted from a pot seems to not have changed in the last 1,5 month, still mostly brown around the base but green at the tips. Not sure what it wants.  My new lavender that I bought is unchanged, but this is where the fungus is so I suspect it can't get anything from the soil. My sweet basil just doesn't grown big leaves anymore, and I suspect the rabbit and birds of eating it before I can. Was transplanted from a pot as well, so might just be done. My tomatillos seem to be growing the leavy husks. Hopefully that'll turn into something. My jalapenos I'm not sure about, some flowers seem to wither without making a pepper, but it looks like I have two going on the plant I transferred from pot. The new one isn't showing any pepper at all yet. That also goes for my chille arbol, no sign of peppers yet. Both my roma and cherry tomatoes do show a few green tomatoes, but I also saw quite a few small birds in there the other day, hopefully they'll not get to them before I can. My cucumber plants only have male flowers so far, can't see the female yet and I don't have bees in my garden anyway. Also planted them too closely together probably, it's fun seeing them climb up though. All my cucumber / tomatoes / pepper plants seem to show leaves with a white trail through them. Probably a bug, and supposed to not harm the actual plant, so just need to keep track of new ones and cut them off. Thai basil keeps going in bloom, and isn't producing big leaves anymore, so I'll let that one. Rosemary seems fine, sage had a small growth spurt a few weeks ago but isn't doing much, lemon thyme isn't really growing, same for oregano (although that also came from a pot, might be done), lemon verbena seems ok. My nasturtiums seem to be recovering from the butterfly worm, 1 died, 5 plants left, only one has produced a flower so far. That wilted the next day. Both my flat leaf and curly parsley seem to be doing better after i've put down some mulch.  Not sure about my garlic chives. What was sold to me as scented geraniums isn't doing much, and it also doesn't look like the images google gives me if I search for it.  At least the plant that's under the tree is producing some nice flowers, I used to have million bells there but they needed more sun. What's there now was recommended to me as a plant that likes shade. Good thing it's still going as it was over $20. And I just realized most of my garden is in shade now by noon, apart from the tops of the taller plants.  Will probably transfer my herbs that aren't doing much to pots this week. And then I'll have all winter to reconsider what I'll do with the garden in spring. There's definitely a lot of old weeds / plants coming up that I haven't dug out properly, so that's probably stagnating growth for some of the newer plants as well.

More or less every plant you mention needs direct sunlight (minimum of 6 hours a day during its growing season) so that could be limiting you somewhat.  When did you plant these btw?  Have they had long enough to find their feet.  Plenty of plants need time to get going after transplant.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think I planted them around the start of August (apart from the fungus, that's just happening) and around then they had sun from at least 6:30 (it's light out earlier but I was never awake to check it) to somewhere in the afternoon.

Now we're covered in a marine layer so not much sun in the early morning and the sun is low enough to not be able to reach over the wall behind the plants later in the afternoon.

This was a quick and dirty job anyway, I just wanted to put some things there and see how it would go. Some I already had, some I bought.

It's just that it looked really pretty at the beginning and I'm not sure now. My cucumber looks the most worrisome, leaves don't look good at all and I noticed this morning the white trails in leaves are in more plants now.

Just trying to learn as much as possible from this and I'll reconsider early spring what the plan for next year will be. We're probably only gonna be here for two years anyway, so if things die it's ok. The area we live in (I think most of SoCal actually) isn't known for having the best ground to grow things in.

At least B bought a part of an old whiskey barrel, we're filling that with water now to close the gaps. Idea is to put a pole in it, cement it and add shades to that. He's gonna leave a little bit of space on the top of the barrel so I can put something nice there. Might just do succulents to be safe.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm just gonna pretend this is also the garden thread in the weeks Pop isn't buying / showing off houses.

So when do you know a plant is properly dead and it's time to dig out / throw away?

My cucumber is definitely dead, almost all leaves are wilted, and the few hanging on have soft looking white spots that will probably kill the plant

My lavender doesn't show any green at it's stem when I scratch off the top layer, so I assume that's fully dead as well

The Basil has almost fully brown stems, the leaves are small for basil and either seem to get eaten away from outwards, or have spots / holes, so I assume that's no use trying to save / propagate.

My tomatillos, tomato, jalapeno and arbor chili plant all have leaf miner spores in their leaves, I'm gonna cut all of those leaves off tomorrow, but what if there's no good leaves left? Still hope for the plant? They're not getting enough sun now anyway since the sun is too low, might be hard to keep them alive.

My sage has some holes in the leaves, that could be aphids so might need to hose that down even better, hopefully I can get that one going.

Is it better to throw out anything suspicious, so the soil can recover a bit before spring? I might just switch to more decorative flowers next spring, and keep anything edible in containers so I can move them around / have them in sunny spots. Also means the next renters will have a flower wall and I can take my tomatoes and peppers with me.
  • Managed to extend the lease on my house (which papa moot signed over to my sister & I when he moved to sunny Macclesfield on a canal boat).  We only had 17 years left, which equates to 'a bit of a fucking nightmare' in real terms.  The process involved buying my sister out, transferring the deeds, negotiating a statutory extension with the freeholder via a third party and a remortgage.  It all felt like it was going to fall apart right up to the last minute and one of our solicitors made so many mistakes in the penultimate week - already two months into our mortgage offer extension and approaching yesterday's deadline - I thought Jeremy Beadle was going to start signing off her emails.  Her commitment to the word 'signiture' was particularly impressive, as was repeatedly sending vital paperwork to an address over the road and a natural flair for creating new mistakes while rectifying old ones.  

Huge phew, we should've done it years ago but opted to wind it down and save, which would've meant losing the place in 2037.  This way the savings bought my sister out for a niceprice and we're set in the long term.
  • Well done Moot. Sounds very stressful.
  • Yup, and as a rule of thumb I'm not one for stress.
  • I don't really understand the English system.  Is it correct that even though you can own the house you can't own the land on which it stands?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - if it isn't a freehold you will pay ground rent. It's usually only a few pounds a year. I do that. And my next door neighbours pay me rent as they are on my plot apparantly.

One can buy it out - it's more hassle than cost for most.
  • It depends, my place is freehold so I gots the bit of lands too is my understanding.

Congrats Moot, I hate doing any house/mortgage shit, been through a buy out a few years ago and currently remortgaging, I'm not one for stress either.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think that's actually true in a lot of places, particularly when the house is in a town. You have to pay attention to that when buying in a place you don't know.
    **runs off to check deeds**
  • Pretty sure it's not a thing in Scotland but I may be about to be told otherwise.
  • davyK wrote:

Depends on the time left on the lease, in England anyway.  For reference, the freeholder initially wanted £185,500 to add 99 years to the term (on a property that would be worth £285,000 with a long lease).  If you let it drop below 80 years it jumps in price, and if you let it slip below 30 they've got you over a barrel.  If it runs out they can turf you out whether you own the bricks & mortar or not, so it's win-win for the freeholder at the low lease stage (charge loads or wait a few years).
  • My neighbour extended for £140,000 around seven years ago (when he had something like 26 years left), but didn't extend via the statutory route so his ground rent went from Peppercorn (£5.80ish p/y) to 'lol fuck you' territory (£500 p/y after five years, eventually rising to £1000 p/y apparently).  It's fucked.  There have been attempts to put a stop to it in courts but nothing positive has come out of it for leaseholders.
  • Also, note to my younger self:  Don't buy all those dvds m8, just get the lease done.
  • I only learned what leasehold was a few years ago and it seems fucked. It literally sounds like money for nothing.

The house builders are currently being investigated by the watchdog for fucking people over with their leasehold with things like this from a few years ago https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/29/new-builds-house-buyers-leasehold-property-trap
  • It's fine though as Robert Jenrick is going to put a stop to it all.
    The housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, welcomed the CMA’s action and said he wanted “to see homeowners who have been affected by crippling ground rents obtain the justice and redress they deserve”.

He said: “Shameful practices of this kind have no place in our housing market and we are going to put an end to them.”

I definitely trust him.

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/04/competition-watchdog-takes-enforcement-action-over-leaseholds
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I don't really understand the English system.  Is it correct that even though you can own the house you can't own the land on which it stands?
    davyK wrote:
    Yeah - if it isn't a freehold you will pay ground rent. It's usually only a few pounds a year. I do that. And my next door neighbours pay me rent as they are on my plot apparantly.

nick_md wrote:
    It depends, my place is freehold so I gots the bit of lands too is my understanding.

Congrats Moot, I hate doing any house/mortgage shit, been through a buy out a few years ago and currently remortgaging, I'm not one for stress either.

I think unlikely is referring to the fact that all land his held from.someone (the Crown) - clue is in the name. Free hold. Hold it in perpetuity for no Dosh, but still feudal in concept.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. It's no doubt a historic/legacy thing that's all tied up with no-one owning anything except for the Queen and the Rothschild's family...

I can remember it being mentioned when I bought my house - there was talk of a 99 year lease in that. There might have been talk of right of renewal too - can't remember now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!