Hollow Knight - the first one, Tempy is forgiven
  • I'm almost certainly in at £11.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Everyone here who has played it and loved it, if that’s worth anything.
  • I prefer it to Ori, he's a view from someone who didn't:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/02/hollow-knight-review/
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Not at lot. My taste in games appears to be different to everyone else on here.. but still.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Like we all loved GoW which you hated.
  • I didn't realise Song of the Deep was a Metroidvania.  Good job that was only £3, I like the genre now but you can have too much of a good thing.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Like we all loved GoW which you hated.

Kow didn't love it.. lol.

Besides it's the exception that proves the rule.

Plus I was attempting some humour.. I hear people like it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I was trying humour too, a paltry 6/10 attempt from myself though.
  • Who'd of though shit humour cancelled each other out?

Anyone know exactly how hard it is? Is it like first boss metroid prime hard?
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's a little tough I'd say. Gets harder later on. It has a little bit of Dark Souls in it, in terms of how conservative you need to be with attacking/dodging/healing and the fact that when you die you leave a little marker with your currency so far. If you die before recovering it, you lose that stuff. But currency isn't super important.
  • Tempy wrote:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/hollow-knight-review/

In short, it's very good.

Weirdly it seemed to get passed over for review. EG didn't bother.

Maybe switch release will see more reviews
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The only review I'm interested in is Charlie's.

I'll be on this next time I'm up the caravan, looking forward to it.
  • The only review I'm interested in is Charlie's. I'll be on this next time I'm up the caravan, looking forward to it.

i wasn't planning on writing one...
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • wow, this is a bit special isnt it!?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Is it eligible for GotY?
    The Forum Herald™
  • wow, this is a bit special isnt it!?

Hasn’t clicked with me yet - will give it a bit longer.
  • Oh man, I’ve lost my death bag!

Was deep into uncharted territory, no map guy, killed a big dude, got loads of grey pine cone things then fell down a hole and got double teamed by some little pointy feckers. I’ve got no idea how to get back to where I was. Over 700 quids!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Don't worry, it's chump change.
  • I’m really disappointed. Not because the game is bad - I can tell it’s lovely, and it has so many things that I want and adore in games - but because I feel like I’m gonna be forcing myself to like it, it’s just not clicking and I don’t know why.

I think part of the problem is the combat - at this point there’s not a lot I can do with the combat, and I assume there will be some kinds of upgrades / abilities later, if it follows genre conventions, but for now it’s just a bit dull. That could be ok if I enjoyed looking around and exploring the world, but, as mentioned, I haven’t found that hook or spark yet and so the trudging just feels tedious.

The strongest feeling I get from this game, really, is a desire to play Aquaria again.

This could all be due to the fact I haven’t found a desired game setup yet - it’s a game I wanna play handheld, so I can use headphones and really enjoy the audio, but I hate using the joycons. I could use the kickstand and a pro controller, but at that point it may as well be on the TV.

None of this is a criticism of the game, as I know this is all just about how I’ve reacted to it. Will play again after class and I hope I find something about it to grab my interest.
  • There's not actually that many crazy upgrades. There's a couple of early obvious ones, but they become choices rather than obligatory. (pretty sure you could kinda do an sl0 equivalent run of this game.)

You don't get crazy combos or. Anything. That's for sure.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • @CiT

The kickstand lacking adjustment for angle seems short sighted and you can’t really use headphones in that mode either.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Like with any mvania worth its salt it's the exploration, world design and sense of discovery that hooked me.
    Combat is very souls like and new abilities opening up new areas are unlocked metroid style. They are upgradable too. Perks are also available in the form of equipable charms. You can only equip a handful at a time so be careful in what you choose.

You need to find map man to even enable the map feature of an area. Without him you'll have to navigate entirely by memory just like in dark souls. The platforming can become very super meat boy, white palace being the prime example. Weakest aspect of the game imo. Music is excellent, headphones are definitely a plus.

All in all a very good game and up there with Ori. While Ori stays relatively close to metroid in structure, hollow Knight mixes it up with dark souls and super meat boy to varying degrees of success. Audiovisual design is very strong and the whole gels together convincingly to keep you coming back for more.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I stayed up way to late hooked on this.
  • I've put probably 2-3 hours into this, defeating 2 bosses, and completing a challenge or 2, unlocking
    Spoiler:
    . The map man is in the bag and I bought the compass to help improve navigation. I've loved every minute of it. The sound design is brilliant - helping you find those lost grubs or other NPC's if you listen carefully. I really like this.
  • Not sure whether to finish GoW first or play this alongside, probably the latter as I won't have to keep bargaining for the telly of an evening.  

I tried and failed with Darkest Dungeon, which was out of my comfort zone - 15hrs I put in on that before ditching it I reckon, that's true dedication for me - and Souls talk and Souls-like stuff has always been a turn-off.  I'm far more likely to succeed at enjoying a 2D platformer than a roguey RPG.
  • Is it fair to describe this as Salt & Sanctuary meets Ori?  Nearly bought S&S multiple times on Vita.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's closer to Meat Boy than Souls.  And not roguey.  You'll be fine.
  • Nice nice..  Unfortunate timing with the Trials comp, otherwise I'd probably be on this already.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Per my non-spoilery review-lite:
    It's basically Ori with swords, or 2D Dark Souls without numberwang, or Meat Boy RPG, or Salt & Sanctuary distilled to a funner essence.  It's basically a molding of three of my favourite games ever (those formentioned, excluding S&S, which isn't quite that rarified) - but then it's own thing on top, with charm, character, depth, fuckloads of content (more free DLC coming soon)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!