Hollow Knight - the first one, Tempy is forgiven
  • Done with this for now. Might come back later, we’ll see.
  • The game didn't click with me either in the beginning. Not untill City of Tears. I almost gave up on it because of the mantis warrior village boss (you'll know when you get there). Some really extreme super meat boy/souls difficulty spikes which should've been smoothed out before release. White palace is another example of difficulty for difficulty's sake; because we all love souls and are a glutton for punishment no? It's all part of a very steep learning curve which could've and should've been smoother.

Imho, the game could've done without and it would still stand strong. They should have left those feats for the colliseum (yes there's an optional colliseum) where you can go all out with all abilities unlocked. It's my only criticism of an otherwise very good game.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • You don't have to do them until you've skilled up or find better charms though. I left the mantis boss for ages then breezed it with the right stuff.
  • Good point.
    I'm a glutton for punishment.
  • hunk wrote:
    The game didn't click with me either in the beginning. Not untill City of Tears. I almost gave up on it because of the mantis warrior village boss (you'll know when you get there). Some really extreme super meat boy/souls difficulty spikes which should've been smoothed out before release. White palace is another example of difficulty for difficulty's sake; because we all love souls and are a glutton for punishment no? It's all part of a very steep learning curve which should've been smoother.

Imho, the game could've done without and it would still stand strong. They should have left those feats for the colliseum (yes there's an optional colliseum) where you can go all out with all abilities unlocked. It's my only criticism of an otherwise very good game.

Ive done mantis village and city of tears. Still don’t like it.
  • Yeah the Village was part of my victory lap before the final boss. I never even bothered with the “true” ending stuff. Leave it to those who care. Can we not fall foul of the Dark Souls Means Difficult stuff? All the hardest stuff in HK is of a totally different style of difficulty. It’s such a rubbish comparison.
  • I don’t really have any issues with the game difficulty - tbh. I’m not just finding it particularly enjoyable, and that lack of enjoyment has nowt to do with any roadblocks.
  • The game is more ninja gaiden/super meat boy difficult than Souls difficult. Souls games are difficult because more often than not your character and gear weren't adequately leveled up or leveled up wrong.

With HK you really have to develop those fighting and platforming skills (sword pogo) otherwise you won't get anywhere anytime soon. The learning curve can be exhausting, especially in the beginning. Pacing feels very different from the metroid and castlevania games it borrows from which were kind of laid back. In HK difficulty spikes and death are everywhere and the level design doesn't let up....
  • @Cinty It’s not the early on stuff I’m talking about. There’s a lot of very 8bit/16bit feeling hard stuff in the latter throws of the game that is the kinda stuff I don’t have the patience for at all.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Cinty It’s not the early on stuff I’m talking about. There’s a lot of very 8bit/16bit feeling hard stuff in the latter throws of the game that is the kinda stuff I don’t have the patience for at all.

Ah, then I’m glad I’ve called it quits. The meat boy stuff I’ve encountered thus far hasn’t been too difficult, but I really can’t be arsed if there’s a lot more of it.

Thanks.
  • Most of it is optional in fairness, but not all.
  • Just beaten the second boss - when you lose your “souls” the meter bit that fills up with white stuff shows as being broken - is there any significance to this?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • It means it can't fill up to 100% so you can heal/cast magic less.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It means it can't fill up to 100% so you can heal/cast magic less.
    Ta

• I’ve just unlocked two power ups that really allow me to move much more freely through the world and suddenly this has become absolutely brilliant. So well designed!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Do I need to worry about stumbling into any of the DLC while I'm bumbling about?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I don't think you need to worry too much
  • I think i'm obsessing about this game now, it's pretty much taken up all of my available playtime and now I've beaten a few more bosses I'm beginning to make some real headway here. Loving it!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It's good but I already don't know where to go ffs.
  • I think i'm obsessing about this game now, it's pretty much taken up all of my available playtime and now I've beaten a few more bosses I'm beginning to make some real headway here. Loving it!
    Yup

• Amazing tempo to the game, normally get fed up exploring Metroid type games as it’s so confusing to know where to go next but haven’t hit that here (yet)

• Glad you’re still enjoying it.
  • I played some more last night.  So far I've...

Spoiler:

I still can't quite decide how I feel about it.  I'm still playing because I love exploring, and finding out what's round the next corner.  But every time I meet a boss I'm irritated by the challenge, rather than thrilled by it.
  • There are some pad snappers in there for sure.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I played some more last night.  So far I've...

Spoiler:

I still can't quite decide how I feel about it.  I'm still playing because I love exploring, and finding out what's round the next corner.  But every time I meet a boss I'm irritated by the challenge, rather than thrilled by it.

Oh that’s interesting, I haven’t been to the first place you mentioned but have explored the second already and beat that boss on my first try, found him really simple compared to the rest, some I really struggled with!
  • I played some more last night.  So far I've...
    Spoiler:
    Oh that’s interesting, I haven’t been to the first place you mentioned but have explored the second already and beat that boss on my first try, found him really simple compared to the rest, some I really struggled with!

I got horribly lost in the first location, and I’d say it’s a bit more of a challenge than the rest so far, but it’s also got some interesting twists to it as well as a moment of genuine sadness.

I’ll take some solace in the fact that I’ve only met the boss I referenced once and was horribly unprepared (it was the last bit I tried before bed) so hopefully he won’t destroy me quite as much as some of the others.  (Though the one that’s given me the most bother so far wasn’t technically a boss battle at all.)
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Best vocal work in the game.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 11 hours in and still gripped by this

• Facewon wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Best vocal work in the game.

Agreed, it's perfect.

Beat him immediately when I went back to this last night - only to then get my arse handed to me by...
    Spoiler:
    Who's one of those irritating bosses that I'm able to easily get multiple hits to, but never quite kill thanks to repeated stupid mistakes.  This has resulted in much swearing.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Fuck
    Spoiler:
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!