Dauntless - PC Monster Hunter
  • Played it!

It's prettier than I thought. Combat is slow and the tutorial monster is very predictable (it is a tutorial). Roll is god-like.  Hub has quite a lot going on and it's nice to play at a proper frame rate compared to the <30fps shocker that is MHW on PS4 - MHW is superior in character, obviously.

Couldn't see any options to change the camera speed for either mouse or controller, so that's a basic fail.

Will have a proper go at some point and I can see it being a fun diversion from time to time.

Managed to use max settings on my oc'c 970 albeit with vsync off so that it can hit 60fps.  Might have to turn some things down later when it gets busier.
  • You're right @mrsmr2.  A decent fun diversion, though.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Tried the new dual pistols last week.  Quite accessible but it takes a bit of getting used to reloading up close to the monster for the big buffs.
  • Massive update.

Each monster, weapon and armour set now has a set of mastery requirements to lubricate the grind.

Coming to consoles soon with cross play. Switch version to follow.
  • You holding down the mmo fort hard ayns.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It's a condition lol
  • Fallen into this again, big style. The loot loop is fabulous.

Plus, I can trip Embermane with a hammer that shoots bullets. Oh yeah.
  • Out on consoles on 21st May.
  • I'm gonna give it a go on PS4, might be able to get a couple of friends to try it as well.  How's the solo experience if they're not interested?
  • It's easier than Monster Hunter.

If you enjoy soloing it's fine.
  • 5 free hunt pass levels until 20th May.
  • ... and the servers are unexpectedly down until launch lol
  • I'm only a handful of hunts in but I'm enjoying it so far.  I'm a big fan of the general art design; the armour sets, weapons, and environments look great, but the beasties steal the show - some of their animations are especially impressive. 

Online seems very well implemented, and PC to PS4/Xbox One account linking and cross-progression plus full cross-play at launch is an impressive achievement.  Seems Epic's tools are being put to good use here at least.  I'm loading into cross-play hunts with the ease of Fortnite StW and there's no noticeable latency or any real issues beyond the odd frame-rate drop in the charming social hub town of Ramsgate.

Each of the weapons I've tried have felt satisfying with a nice balance in the feelings of weight and speed depending on your choice.  And while the move list is limited the beasties themselves are fun to fight with a range of cool attack patterns to learn.  I mean, it ain't as tight as many a dedicated 3rd person action game and I'd like a bit more responsiveness from my character, but it's keeping me entertained.

So yeah, I'm happy enough to chuck some money Phoenix Labs' way and can see myself playing it for some time to come.
  • Oh shit, and being able to change everything about your appearance (the character creator is far more in-depth than I expected) by simply interacting with a mirror at the cosmetic vendor whenever you want is brilliant.

Take some fucking notes, Bungie.
  • Glad you like it.

My Epic Games ID is: Munjahaidate
  • Oh go on then, you had me at free.
  • I do think the combat still needs a little work, but other than that the game seems pretty decent.

There were some server issues yesterday as well, you kinda have to accept these things with an online game though.
  • It's utter rubbish.
  • I couldn't get on when I tried this arvo.
  • I'm having server issues again, just got booted mid hunt.  Enjoying what I'm managing to play though.
  • Server issues yesterday. Will try again in a bit.
  • You all aren't buying enough cosmetic/non cosmetic stuff to fund the servers.
  • Downloaded on ps4 for a laugh. 7 mins wait to get in. Still waiting for it to say I need PS Plus.

Servers being down in the beta (ages ago) is one thing but it’s allegedly the full game now, so this isn’t great.
  • Load times on the ps4 make mhw seem fast, and there is no progress bar. Unless it’s connected to the servers - been loading for 4 mins so far.

Edit: still loading so it’s server related (15 mins so far).

At least it hasn’t told me I need plus yet.....
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Wasn't really interested in this but might give it a go. Just started playing MHW again though and I still have a lot to do in Destiny before the new content :/
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    At least it hasn’t told me I need plus yet.....

No Plus needed for FtP games.

Servers are indeed a mess though. I expect some server issues with a launch of an online game, but three straight days of struggling to get in and then getting kicked is rough.

I've only managed to hunt four different beasties so far and I'm still very much in the early impression stage of the game, but I think I might leave it alone for a few days and hope it all settles down.
  • Managed to play this morning with no problems at all.  Load times are actually very quick.  No idea what was happening yesterday - I couldn't even get into the very first (single player) mission.

It's still monster hunter for the brain dead, but hey, it's free.
  • I'm still enjoying it for what it is, never played a Monster Hunter game to judge it against though.
  • Oh shit.

"All servers are currently full.  Your estimated queue position is: 6000".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!