Cuphead
  • I consider myself to be quite shit at games but I managed four bosses and a side scrolling level.

I don't think it is insanely hard it is just old school, Ghouls and Ghosts is a good comparison.

You probably aren't going to load up a boss and beat it first try (except the Vegetables, they are easy). You need to learn attack patterns and phases, plan a strategy for when to use super attacks etc. That is the fun of the game.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Got a refund as this isn't for me, that said it's pretty much as good as it gets artistically, incredibly impressive.
    A refund on digital?  Is this a Steam thing?
    Xbox is doing it too

Impressive move from MS, loving their whiteboard-brainstorm catch-up power plays.  It's the nicest they've been to consumers since the Oldbox.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Got a refund as this isn't for me, that said it's pretty much as good as it gets artistically, incredibly impressive.

Ease off FFS.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Xbox is doing it too

Impressive move from MS, loving their whiteboard-brainstorm catch-up power plays.  It's the nicest they've been to consumers since the Oldbox.

Agreed, it's part of the Xone fuckup clean up they've been on for the last 2 years. I think Sony were doing the same thing prior to and at the start of this gen. It's part of the system of game commerce it seems. Even fucking EA went through a patch of not being shits and trying to launch new ip to repair their fucked perceived image years back.

Also see Nintendos first year line up of switch games. Nothing like a commercial fuck up to give consumers the good stuff.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Ease off FFS.

I probably didn't do what you think I did there, but if I did, apologies.
  • Nah you didn't. Sorry. I'm hungover.
  • All good.

Struggling not to play this today.  Bought it for co-op with RetroK and I'm itching to carry on.  Will resist, but I liked almost everything about it during the first few levels.
  • For myself it is one of those games where I struggle on past the difficult because I really want to see what is coming next.

How is co-op BTW? Is it difficult to revive ghost players?
    Obviously I did the action in the training (love the presentation of that) but imagine it can be tricky to pull off in game without getting yourself killed.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm still flailing with the controls, but you can practice the parry timing in the run and gun levels.

The window is tight, but not insanely so.
    The pink spikes on the first run and gun level is a good playground for it.

Those levels are a bitch.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • You need to learn attack patterns and phases, plan a strategy for when to use super attacks etc. That is the fun of the game.

While that's all true I sadly didn't find it much fun. Talk of an easy mode lured me in but I realise what I really wanted was a tourist mode, which Youtube provided. 

(I felt the same way about Ghouls and Ghosts when I was wee)

(No criticism of the game or anyone who loves it intended)

(Refund was on Steam, aye)
  • Nah, that is fair enough. I can totally see why it may not appeal to all. May as well use the refund option if it is there.
    If I eventually get stuck beyond my ability I will resort to YouTube.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If a game is proper hard no amount of youtubing will help me. Don't know how many Mushi Futari videos I have watched....still no 1CC.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I meant in a scenario that I give up on the game entirely and want to see the remaining content.

This defo needs practice rather than a taught strategy from YouTube.
  • How is co-op BTW? Is it difficult to revive ghost players? Obviously I did the action in the training (love the presentation of that) but imagine it can be tricky to pull off in game without getting yourself killed.

I haven't played it it sp, so I'm only guessing when I say it's probably a fair bit easier in co-op.  The more enemies/higher boss HP thing is presumably present and correct, but the save can keep you going through a stage, Donky Kong Country Returns or Rayman Legends style.  You've got to time the parry, you might die getting there/bouncing off, the other player revives with one-hit-left and if they die at the top of the screen they're probably gone as they float up, but if you're both on the ball you can rely on it kinda sorta like a single ring in Sonic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I meant in a scenario that I give up on the game entirely and want to see the remaining content. This defo needs practice rather than a taught strategy from YouTube.

See what you mean - fair enough. The sights in Cuphead would be a motivator to keep going.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Well... The art...

The music is incredible. At least equal to the visuals.
  • I was gonna day the same thing. The music in this is sublime. Just as perfectly pitched as the visuals.
  • It is indeed fantastic.

The visuals though, it isnt just the animations and style, I love how when menus pop up there is a lens pull type effect applied.

Truly a labour of love this. Obviously it is a bit early to talk about sequels or future projects but it does beg the question of what comes next. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys don't have it in them to go for another three years of this and it would lose so much with a huge team on it.
  • Looks a bit old fashioned.
  • I’m really enjoying this game. It’s got a very old school one-more-go feeling to it.
  • Is there much point getting this if the wonderful animation is locked behind an impassable difficulty barrier? Might just watch a play through on YouTube.
  • It's not impassable, at least not as far as I have got.
    It is hard but achievable. It doesn't give you anything for free, you need to learn boss patterns, strategies and try loadouts.
    It is hard like Dark Souls bosses are hard and with that you get that sense of satisfaction when you do beat a boss.
  • One big omission early on in the game: nowhere does it tell you how to use a special. It tells you that you’ve earned a special move. It tells you how to equip a special. But it never explains that a special is equal to five bonus shots. So you build your bonus meter up to five and then let rip.
  • monkey wrote:
    Is there much point getting this if the wonderful animation is locked behind an impassable difficulty barrier? Might just watch a play through on YouTube.

Completely content with watching a no-hit runthrough by someone good.

They really did knock the presentation out the fuck, so many delightful details and sequences, but it's just a shmup.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    But a solid shmup.

For instance, while I'm shit at it, I still think Contra 3 is a solid game.
    The quality here is comparable.

But the presentation elevates it.
  • Cuphead managed to keep me up late playing it ‘one more time’ last night, so I call it a success.
  • Sounds like it's right up my street.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mine too. Not sure if my aging PC could handle it though. I suppose I could try and use the refund if it doesn't work.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've heard it works well on older PCs.
    As for opinions on the game itself, put it this way... 

I far and away prefer Cuphead to Splatoon 2.

But I know it's going to piss me off in the very near future, like Ikaruga and Thunderforce 4 once did.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!