Cuphead
  • I read that a lot of old games were extra hard so you had to rent them more than once from block buster.

Nah, I’m not buying that. 8-bit games could be hard as nails. Years before Blockbuster.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The lack of lives in this is brilliant, I was thinking that the other day.
    Lives really are a thing of the past.

Mine often feels like it is
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ba-dum-tish.

Live’s right though.
  • They've even dropped the lives system in favour of live's system for Mario Odyssey.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The life system is half way about renting multiple times, it was to artificially extend a game. An 8 bit game with 6 levels that can be beaten in 30 mins? Make it nails hard and send em back to the title screen to make it 6 hours long
  • It starts in the arcades where you're paying per go and just goes on from there. And at home you wanted your money's worth, so definitely didn't want something you could finish first go.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    For this kind of game, I wouldn't say the 'instant restart' scheme is revolutionary, but it's an innovation, because it does change the way one might approach challenges which usually, many would find off-putting or just downright frustrating.

Did Super Meatboy work a little like that? I never played that.

Perhaps Cuphead, objectively, is as hard as Contra/Ikaruga from set piece to set piece, but the game's structure transforms contrived obstacles into optimisation problems / puzzles without making any change to in-game assets or it's runtime mechanics.

Doubt it's the last time we're going to see that in the 'streaming' age of gaming.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Time to restart has been a measurement of how engaging and repayable punishing games are for years now, just look at all the complaints about Bloodborne's stupid load times at launch. Meat Boy and Isaac are basically instantaneous.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    SMB did have instant restart, yes.
  • Instant restart at the start of the stage though.  Ori had plentiful restart points that could be dropped manually.  Fez had pretty much instantaneous restarts.  How much you have to replay is a big thing these days, we're all accustomed to checkpoints a couple of minutes - or less - apart, across most genres.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The differencer between ending up at your last checkpoint or ending up at a title screen, can really limit a games replayability
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I remember Yolanda launching on the ST (1990?) with a lot of fanfare about it being the hardest platformer in ages. And it was – Super Meat Boy is basically a Yolanda remake, if my memories of it are accurate (in that it’s one screen for a level but your character moves fast). The big revolution was that Yolanda had infinite lives. You died? You were right back at the start of that screen again instantly. It played fast and the restart after dying was instant.

Looks like that’s come round into fashion, finally.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The progress indicator, over health-bars is a great touch too.

They could have just made health bars a thing, or an option, but displaying it after an attempt means that the designer/s wanted to make that estimate a conscious task for the player.

Almost like they're making that judgement part of the puzzle.

They could have also chosen not to have displayed the progress indictors when you fail, but then you would have know way to gauge your progress, and that would frustrate...
  • Grabbed this earlier. Very enjoyable so far. The run 'n' gun levels seem poor but the bosses ooze character.

On to World 2!
  • Half way through World 2. 

Great, great game. Perfect thing to dip into when nobody is on for shootermans or I can't commit to Overwatch/Fortnite due to baby duties.
  • It's awesome isn't it.

It's a bit too difficult for me honestly - Judging by the Howlongtobeat average completion time, I've been playing TWICE as long as that and am up to the final boss.  Who knows how long that will take me?!?!

It's remained fair though, and after a few goes at each enemy, it's clear what you're supposed to be doing.  It's a great feeling, finally beating an enemy that I've choked on 20 times in a row.

Generally I play better at this in short bursts; anything longer than half an hour per go, and the frustration at my failures builds up and I start swearing and making silly mistakes.  Always really keen to get back into it though!

Would be one of my favourites in a great year of games, and think it will be memorable.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The most Treasure like game outside of Treasure itself. I think King Dice must be a homage to that memorable stage in Gunstar Heroes.
  • I generally find the run and gun levels more frustrating than the boss levels. More randomness happening in those.

Not that much left to go for me I don't think, the boss I'm on now is a pain!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I've really been loving this too. Haven't had a chance to play for a couple of days now but think I'm about 70% complete. It's bastard hard but very rarely cheap. I think you can tell the run and gun levels were a bit of an afterthought they felt inclined to chuck in after initial reaction to it being nothing but boss battles left some cold. I think it's pretty safe to say that from a purely audio visual point of view it's one of my favs of the generation.
  • Is this on mac at all? I wanna play.
  • The lack of racism in this game feels a bit off.
  • On the final boss. Ouch. Needed an overnight break for this one.
  • Ok, so that wasn't the final boss. Now I'm on the final boss. And he's even worse than the last one.
  • Beat the fucker. Deary me that was blister inducing. Had a lovely time with this game, frustrations and all. Didn't realise each boss also had an expert mode. Went back and tried the first. Beat him quite easily but, yeah, that'll do for me thank you very much.
  • Nice wee Keanu totem I've got going here.
  • I hear you don't get to see the proper big boss at the end unless you play it in Hard mode.  Yeah, think I'll stick to watching the pretty vids thanks.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I don't think that's the case. At least I hope it's not. Far as I can tell expert mode just raises the boss difficulty. There's an easy option, so maybe you don't get the final boss if you play it on that difficulty level.
  • Yeah I think easy doesn't give you the proper boss but normal does.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!