Cuphead
  • And it's hard, but it's not hard. It just requires the same level of competency games did when we were all a bit younger.
  • I think you're most probably right there tiger but I most certainly did find it hard as opposed to just hard. Especially when it came to some of the later bosses. Still loved it though.
  • To be fair, I haven't played too much so it might continue to ramp up later on!
  • There seems an element of a boss needing to be played a few times before you can win. This makes the game seem hard when really it’s being a little unfair.
  • There seems an element of a boss needing to be played a few times before you can win. This makes the game seem hard when really it’s being a little unfair.
    Not sure I'd agree. Only a few times throughout the game did I feel the bosses were being unfair. It's all about learning their patterns and what weapons work best for that particular fight. I had countless attempts to beat some of the tougher bosses but every attempt you get that little bit closer to victory. I haven't punched the air that hard since Dark Souls.
  • In my view the fact you have to learn patterns is what makes the game unfair.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Edge gave this an 8... Which is quite a surprise.
    And strangely, they gave Golf Story a 6.

Until now, I thought Edge and Eurogamer had a similar take on things, but that's clearly not the case...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • 5 for Golf Story, got the copy here.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

Fucking. Peak.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Got gifted this on Steam. I'm finding it impossibly difficult. Struggling to get anywhere at all.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This is going to sound a bit silly, but with the infinite lives and retry system, if you approach levels with the same mindset you'd bring to a racing game TT, then things start to click.

You go slightly of the track in a tt? *Bang*, restart, and get straight back into it, knowing you should try a lower gear at that turn, or whatever.

That's what they've turned bosses into in this game.

And I think that's really smart.
  • I tried it on someone’s Bone over the weeken. Found it a bit archaic, the kind of of stuff we left behind a long time ago and have moved on.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'd have thought you'd have loved it as a shmup man.
  • Kow wrote:
    Got gifted this on Steam. I'm finding it impossibly difficult. Struggling to get anywhere at all.
    Can be maddeningly frustrating but punch-the-air brilliant at the same time. I loved it.
  • I'd have thought you'd have loved it as a shmup man.

I probably need to give it more time. A quick go didn’t impress me. But I’ve not really been into run and gun. While the base idea/principle is similar to shmups, feels very different when you’re a plane in the auto scrolling through the level.
  • The run and gun levels are pants. Luckily they only make up about 3% of the game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I loved NES Contra and enjoy the Metal Slugs. (Contra Rebirth on WiiWare is great too). That made me think I like the genre but it seems not. Anything else I've tried I haven't stuck with.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hard Corps: Uprising was a good Contra-like on 360. Worth a try.
  • It's part of the contra series.
  • I only got round to playing it a couple of months ago.  Felt good but didn't suit co-op play with the way it dished out power-ups so I gave up.

Edit: Hard Corps.
  • I found it hard.
  • It's fair bit easier than Cuphead section by section, but it felt more evil due to the miserly life/checkpoint system. 

This is going to sound a bit silly, but with the infinite lives and retry system, if you approach levels with the same mindset you'd bring to a racing game TT, then things start to click. You go slightly of the track in a tt? *Bang*, restart, and get straight back into it, knowing you should try a lower gear at that turn, or whatever. That's what they've turned bosses into in this game. And I think that's really smart.

I like this.

And it's hard, but it's not *hard*. It just requires the same level of competency games did when we were all a bit younger.

I'd say this is hard, but the structure gives the player a whopper of a helping hand compared to the haAAAARRRGHd games of our youth.
  • nick_md wrote:
    It's part of the contra series.
    Ah right. I wasn't sure.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I found it hard.
    Uprising mode is easier if you haven't tried it, made it much more enjoyable for me.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Don't really get a full sense of it while playing the game (dying way before I get to the end of these tracks), but stand alone, this is probably one of the best game soundtracks ever made.

It really is extremely classy stuff.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SWELL
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I haven’t yet been in here since I’ve had the game, but it’s great. I was playing it co-op with my brother over Christmas, made it to the final island, but havent finished it yet. It’s now on hold until he’s back in the country as co-op is clearly the way to go with it.
  • Don't really get a full sense of it while playing the game (dying way before I get to the end of these tracks), but stand alone, this is probably one of the best game soundtracks ever made.

It really is extremely classy stuff.

Just to reiterate your point, it is one of the finest game soundtracks I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. It really helps that the songs get drilled in subconsciously as you replay a level over and over. Just had a look at the limited edition vinyl, $100 but it looks gorgeous!

https://store.iam8bit.com/products/cuphead-4xlp-deluxe-vinyl-soundtrack

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Oh my word.

It’s a good job I don’t have a record player any more.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Soundtrack, visual style, pomo references... Everything.

Artwise, this game does not stop giving.

There are a few good vids about the game's intertextual references. One of my favourites is this one, obviously...

If there's a Cuphead sequel, and it turns out to be a fighting game, I would not be surprised, at all. I'd also welcome the fuck out of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!