Homer's Mario Odyssey
  • Was the issue that widespread?  I have a launch model with no issues at all.  I got lucky?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nah, mines fine. Think an amalgamation of higher levels of borked than it should have been but also internet allowing disappointed men to shout loudly about their broken tech.
  • How close do you play to the docked unit?  I thought I'd escaped it by buying the second or third wave of stock, but it's definitely been a problem a few times.  I've moved the unit a bit closer and removed the headphones that were sitting directly in front of it - no problems since - but I should really send it for a fix as a) it's free and b) I have a spare set (which may share the same problem but I haven't noticed it).
  • I sit around 3 to 4 m from mine and it’s fine.

But yeah, there was a problem with some of them so if it’s no upheaval then get it fixed for free whilst you can.
  • I'm about 5m away but it shares space with a smart tv a Chromecast and a PS4, all of which I believe interfere. I'm contacting Nintendo tonight to get it sorted.
  • It definitely sufferes from interference, I noticed it in the right joy con when I had the dock behind the TV. Now it's in a better position but still occasionally get it not responding.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    nintendo: we've spent a lot of money setting up an efficient repair service so people can quickly get their defective hardware sorted... and all for free! fancy giving it a go? 
    everyone: nope
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • My new switch and this arrived today, I started it a few hours ago after setting up, and I just can’t stop thinking about moons. I played a bit of 3D world on the Wii u, but started to feel maybe I was getting over 3D platformers (never my favourite genre).

But nope, just needed one as good as this.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    nintendo: we saved a lot of money not recalling defective units, then spent a bit of money setting up an efficient repair service so people can quickly get their defective hardware sorted... and all for free! fancy giving it a go?  everyone: nope
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's a terrible hardware design (driven by savings) that recalls Miyamoto's Wiimote failure.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Mal0wner wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    cindemon wrote:
    If you got yours at xmas, I suspect it's an issue that will not effect you. The left joycon had/has de-sync issue on the first few waves of hardware.
    Ah, that rings a bell.
    I have a launch era Switch and Mario Odyssey prompted me to get the left joycon issue fixed. It was all pretty painless and free doing it via the Nintendo Service Centre. If anyone else is thinking of getting it fixed do it now as your one year warranty may be expiring soon.

I sent them 2 emails and got zero response.. mario disconnects also pushed me over the edge. I've just given up now.
    I'll probably end up getting a new joycon bundle at some point.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Why are you emailing customer services? Book a repair on https://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • It's probably not worth mentioning, but it strikes me as odd that a widely reported fault they've officially responded to isn't on the list of selectable issues.
  • So I just finished Super Mario Odyssey.

What a wonderful game.

I'm still actually a bit giddy by it all - that finale! 

Better than Galaxy? I'm not sure. 

It's perhaps not as immediate as Galaxy, and it took me maybe the first 5 or 6 worlds to completely fall for it. I guess the central hook of the hat doesn't quite tickle the imagination in the way the gravity-bending plantoids of Galaxy did, but the countless ingenious uses chipped away at me over time and it ended up just as special. Plus the ending's better. 

I guess my main beef would be that some of the art direction/design choices felt a bit off to me, especially in the first half. There's gorgeous stuff in there for sure, but not everything's lives up to the the impeccable standards set by Galaxy and 3D World and some of it felt a bit alien to Mario overall (still not completely happy about the "real" people of New Donk City and even less so with their weird hybrid Mayor). 

By the end none of that mattered. There's stuff in here that's absolutely pinnacle Mario and I loved it.  

That I've still got so much left to do makes me very happy indeed. Think I've got a pretty good record for total completions in mainline Marios and if ever there was a mario that deserved to be 100%'d it's this one. If it can keep up the quality over the God-knows how many remaining moons, then it might be a Galaxy-beater after all. 

An easy 10. 

A genuine classic. 

A masterpiece.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I've started to clear moons on each world.  Only done the smaller ones so far, but it's satisfying to bag the lot.  

I wonder how difficult a Galaxy 1&2 remaster + 3D World triple pack would be for Nintendo to cobble together for Christmas 2018.  I only did a Bowser rush in the Galaxies, and would love to play 3D World in co-op.
  • I will go back to this and get some more moons, but am focusing on other games at the moment. I really enjoyed getting to Bowser and seeing credits, I think I had around 220 moons or so when I finished. Knowing how many more moons there are though is quite daunting, I think the only criticism I have of the game is there are actually too many of them. There are quite a lot that are given just for frivolous stuff, like ground pounding a specific point or similar and I think these could be removed and it wouldn't affect the game at all.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • New update coming soon.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have no desire to go back to this. Fucking adored my playthrough and it is a [10] but it isn't the second coming I initially stated.
  • The desire to go back to a game or not doesn't make it any less special.

I probably won't play it again but fuck me if it's not one of the best games ever made.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It does to me, that's the major spark, something I'd get joy out of repeat playing. I got joy out of that playthrough though, but I'd happily lend it on now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I haven't returned to Zelda, even though I think it's the best game I've ever played. It just felt done, I'd spent ages in that world and enjoyed every minute so I thought I'd be back for the DLC but after the lukewarm reception it's received I might just leave it there. Or I might wipe my save and start again in a few years.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    it isn't the second coming I initially stated.

None of us are getting any younger.
  • Mini backlash beginneth? *Spoilers por sensitive nintentards*:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That vid though I got onto the bit about wall jumping being bad cos its not as wide as 64 and nah man. He's thorough tbf
  • I got as far as realising he’s one of the most boring speakers in the whole wide world.
  • I didn't click on it because it's called 'Super Mario Odyssey - it's no Masterpiece', so how interesting could it possibly be?
  • I didn’t click on it cos I already know it’s no masterpiece.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • He puts out good content. A lot of effort went into that.
  • Yeah i've watched him a bunch but i've grown very bored of his style which is dry and dull. He doesn't even have that acid wit that Matthewmatosis used to lace videos with. I don't think he's a great critic, but I understand why he's got so big.

I've already watched a good video on how Odyssey lacks the breadth* of other Mario titles because of its level design and moon placement, and I agree. I still like it though, the idea that there's going to be a backlash or whatever is silly.

*that's breadth used in a very specific Graph Theory way that boils down to how actions interact with other systems and themselves which Odyssey doesn't do too well
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Christ, I had to turn off after five minutes as he spent too much time explaining what he wasn't saying about Dark Souls and Nioh and nothing about how Mario Odyssey disappointed him. I didn't need the "My life in games" opening either. Five minutes of my life wasted, I'm hardly going to waste another 115 on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!