b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s clear thanks both :-)
  • It’ll all make sense later. Just you wait
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Righto. I’m off to bowsers kingdom. Nice gaff he’s got.
  • People doing nonsense on the Balloon thing

• Well I didn’t want to enjoy that but I did. Ta.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Long Journey's End.....

Christ. I'm almost there. I think.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah buddy!
  • So I've seen the credits.

I'm not sure how much I like it atm.

I don't understand the structure of the game at all. Past Marios have been very simply laid out.

In this I have no fucking idea how many moons there are? In total or each level. Isn't there a total count anywhere?

Why can you buy an infinite amount? Seems a bit stupid to me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There are 880 moons available in the game. You can buy a further 119 to cap out the counter at 999. Bought moons won't replace moons that you can collect, so if you collect 870 moons and then buy 129, the game will still let you pick up those final 10 even if you have already hit the counter cap. The main reason you can buy moons? To bypass roadblocks that need you to have a certain amount of balloons, sort of like an in built level skip.
  • Cheers mate, makes sense.

Is there a way to find out how many moons there are in each Kingdom? A bit like the counter for each Kingdoms purple currency?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think it's on the pause menu from memory, should be a checklist for each level.
  • Much obliged.

I'm done for tonight but will go back to mop up the extras. It's only then you can truly judge a Mario game imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yep, the pause menu gives you totals.  

Moon-1-Map-1-1024x580.jpg

As you've seen the credits you can click on this bit: 
    Spoiler:
  • I've finally completed the Long Journey's End. I've got 505 moons and I really can't be bothered anymore (ive enjoyed it, it's an amazing game). Is there any reason to keep on playing?
  • I’d like to know too. I went back and the new moons seemed rubbish, at least in the first area. One day I’ may go back.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • New moons?

Three1ne's post about The Long Journey's End reminded me I haven't done it.  70 minutes later and nope, it's not a one session thing for me.  I can consistently get to the
    Spoiler:
  • Feels a bit easier than the mega tough level at the end of 3D World though.  I only tried that for 10-15 mins but didn't settle into a pattern anywhere near as quickly.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    New moons? Three1ne's post about The Long Journey's End reminded me I haven't done it.  70 minutes later and nope, it's not a one session thing for me.  I can consistently get to the
    Spoiler:

I spent 2 or 3 weeks on it. May be 6-10 hours on it.

I was stuck at the bird beak bit for ages.

Tips
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • First spoiler: Aha.  
    Second spoiler: Cool, thx.

Loving it, nice to be back, best game.
  • Well it took a while but I finally went back to this today, as usual a quick half hour turned into a couple of hours.

Looking forward to the post credit greatness that awaits.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Post-credits I’ve found I just can’t be arsed.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It seems a bit overwhelming and much more of a collectathon than past Mario's tbf.

I do love it but it's not the 64/Galaxy beater some think for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Agree
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've been chipping away at this since before Christmas. Its a great game but I do agree with Retro.

Galaxy 2 is still the absolute pinnacle for me.
  • 3D World is my favourite but it's fair to say it's not objectively the best.
  • Getting into Odyssey a lot more now.

Really not a fan of objectives from one Kingdom triggering Moons in another though, its making mopping up the remaining Moons a bit of a pain.

In the past Mario's I liked to completely finish a level before moving on, with this there's a lot of revisiting already revisited Kingdoms.

It feels a bit bloated and cheap tbh, there's so many Moons you just end up stumbling into enough to clear a level without much thought let alone challenge, and if you can't do that you can just buy them? Wft!

On the flip side some of the Moons are also much more cryptic than past Mario's, or at least it feels that way. I guess that's what happens when you shoe horn 50 Moons in a level instead of 6/7.

This is a shame as the best bits of this game are up there with the best 3D Mario has to offer, if it was a bit more condensed and focused it would be right up there for me but if only 1 Moon in 10 is memorable it can't help but feel diluted.

Don't want to sound too harsh though, I'm having a great time with it and can't put it down once I start.

Mario has been the undisputed king of 3D platformers for me and this hasn't changed that at all. Only the original Jak & Daxter came close for me, but that was in the GCN days of Nintendo dropping every ball thrown at them imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Agree with most of that but I really liked the little and often approach to moon finding.
  • Its odd because its not doing anything overly different in many ways.

Take the quest to help Toad with his garden in the Mushroom Kingdom as an example.
    Spoiler:

Am I being too harsh? Nintendo have done so well to fill every inch of every Kingdom with something to do, the creativity here is impressive.

I'm from the school of less is more so maybe it's just me?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a pretty standard criticism, Elf and Jon had similar misgivings I believe.  Elf's comment about his boy being over the moon at the over-sharing of moons in the castle resonated with me - I've played maybe 50 minutes of Odyssey without Tilly, and she's similarly excited every single time a moon is dished out, even when they're bought from shops.  If Mario 64 is an artist's best album, Galaxy 2 is the greatest hits and Odyssey is their entire catalogue on shuffle.  3D World is the B-sides album some fans claim is on par with the best album but isn't.
  • The castle moons are doled out in a way that can only be described as a complete farce.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!