MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Reflux is BACK BABY! And with a vengeance this time in the form of not being able to swallow food properly. Last time it settled after a few weeks of some reflux tlc but this time around not being able to eat properly, dunno how long I should leave it to get better. Food has been my emotional support for a few months so, I've got a bit to lose but my god it's fucking depressing not being able to eat.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've had that for years, it's a pain in the arse. You can't cure it but you can control it if you're strict with both diet and eating habits. The one thing which really helped me was to eat nothing at all at least 2 hours before thing to bed, 3 even better. Figuring out which foods provoke it is important too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And the old raising the head of the bed up trick, but I don't need to do that anymore.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Yeah I think I assumed it wasn't a thing I had to watch for after it went away and I just got into the habits that set it off again. At least I know this time around what helped last time so I'm trying to do all those things asap. Did you have issues with swallowing the food too? I start off being able to eat fairly normally in the morning but by night time I can't even swallow my own saliva without almost choking on it and that's also when all the other symptoms, bloating, coughing etc are at their worst too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I had that really bad. It was painful and I felt like I was choking sometimes and would have to walk around sweating, trying to get the food too go down. Once or twice or didn't go down at all and I had to get sick. Really, it's the acid damaging your throat and making it swell. The swallowing gets better the longer you can keep it under control, especially at night when it's at its worst.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The book Dropping Acid had some really good information and helped me a lot. If you haven't read it, I have a pdf somewhere I can look for.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    That's exactly what's happening to me. It's getting stuck at the point of swallowing and I keep feeling like I'm about to choke. Cue pacing around trying to get anything down. It took me half an hour to eat a tiny bowl of soup last night.

My chronic illness has been awful the last couple of months and I've been bed-bound for a large portion of it so I reckon eating hunched over in bed and having to immediately lay down probably hasn't done me any favours. Although I suspect it's been building for a while because I've had chest pains that I think were probably reflux and I've been struggling to swallow meds, randomly choking on my food and drink way more often soooo...

If you've got the pdf that would amazing, thank you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll dig it out when I'm at my pc a bit later and upload it to the b&b Dropbox.

I found that really the worst, worst thing is eating then lying down. Once I discovered that and started leaving the 2 or 3 hour gap between eating and lying down, things improved dramatically.
  • Cutting the booze, carbs and generally eating less will do wonders very quickly. Not easy but that's the way it is.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Don't drink at all but am probably a bit more of a carb fiend than I should be.

Cheers Kow, can you PM me the dropbox deets?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Carbs are the best TBF.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll be on the pc in a while, I'll upload and tell you then.
  • I've struggled with reflux problems for as long as I can remember as well, and have basically been on a daily dose of omeprazole for years. It helped when I identified trigger foods and was able to avoid them, but now whenever I come off the medication everything gives me issues so I've just stayed on it. I really hope you're able to sort it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I had to take omeprazole when i was taking some pretty strong pain killers/anti inflammatories. I noticed when i stopped taking them that i got really bad indigestion. I'd only take them now if i absolutely had to, i don't think they're good in the long run.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @MuseChick and anyone else who wants it, the book Dropping acid is on the B&B dropbox account now. Dropping Acid. Part of it is a cookbook as it aims to give a lot of food that doesn't provoke reflux and part of it is general help with reflux. I used to have this really bad but since I started taking notice of the trigger foods and especially not eating 3 hours before bed, it's improved to the point where I never need any medication, omeprazole etc, and I haven't actually had an episode of acid in the throat for literally years. So it does work. If you're suffering a lot be very strict with the restrictions, then when it's under control you can relax occasionally and have food you like. But sensibly.

Login details for dropbox here, in case you don't know them.
    http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/530/x/p1
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Huge thank you for that Kow.

And Goober, yeah that acid kickback from those types of meds is super common and a bastard apparently, so I'm really really trying to just sort it without those
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The last straw was some years ago at Christmas when I woke up at 3 in the morning in agony, with my throat on fire, I could almost hear the acid crackling and burning. Then my throat was fucked for days. Since then I figured out there are foods I just have to avoid - citrus fruits and juices, especially lemon, and raw onions. And some I have to be very wary about - tomatoes, coffee and chocolate. But I can't say enough - when I found about about not eating 3 hours before lying down there was an immediate and dramatic effect. Even when I'm being slack with the diet, it's the one thing I always keep doing.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Carbs are the best TBF.

Tastiest, they can be. Best? By far, no. Apart from fibre, which is more or less essential, the other carbs are useless. Not needed. Can do without.

Just ask Skerret. I think he’s still full-on keto!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think carbs have much effect on reflux anyway.
  • The human body is shit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Carbs are the best TBF.

I remember telling a colleague that, the night before, I’d had macaroni pie and chips for dinner.

“So, that’s carbs, in carbs, with carbs?”
  • That sounds glorious.
  • Kow wrote:
    I don't think carbs have much effect on reflux anyway.

It can be dramatic for some but it's not fully understood. It's certainly worth a try.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929664617305910
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Personally speaking, it's more dependent on how it's cooked. Deep fried is a killer, grilled is fine.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Had a teeny faint whilst sitting at the table with my parents. Caught myself just as I was about to fall off the chair. Not being able to eat enough is starting to be really shit.
  • Trick your body by shouting "look over there", then quickly eating a sandwich.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sliced ginger, soaked in boiling water for about 20 minutes is great for reflux and the throat. You can add honey too but I love ginger and don't need it. Ginger, in general, is great for the stomach.
  • Huel? All your nutrients, nowt acidic, would that work?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not if you actually enjoy food.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Carbs are the best TBF.

Tastiest, they can be. Best? By far, no. Apart from fibre, which is more or less essential, the other carbs are useless. Not needed. Can do without.

Just ask Skerret. I think he’s still full-on keto!
    I don't think keto is recommended for women that much, unless you're already super healthy, have regular blood checks and a good coach. Women need carbs (more then men) for good hormone regulation, and there's already a lot that's messing with that, that adding another isn't advisable. Birth control pill is supposedly one of the worst (and there aren't that many good alternatives either).

At least, that's what I read about keto.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!