Which ailments currently beplague you
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m entirely confident that at some point I’ll have a conversation with a doctor which will include the words “if only you’d come to us with this sooner”.
  • The doctor's name will be Gonzo
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • The chances of me not getting throat/liver/lung cancer are probably slim. Not had a fag in two years but by god I smoked when I did. That's a lot of pack years. And all that delicious wine.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Last few days Ive woken up with a blocked ear, but its cleared itself about an hour after getting up. Today it was still there at work but manageable. Until about 5 when it suddenly went way worse and made it really difficult to hear anything.
  • Let me list the ailments suffered by my failing body:
    - Constant pain in my left knee, leaving me hobbling about.
    - Intermittent pain in my right hip, makes me lurch around like a pirate on rough seas when combined with the knee.
    - Stomach pains, nausea and daily bouts of diahorrea. It's fun visiting the loo every half an hour!
    - Headaches!
    - Sudden wheat intolerance!
    - Depression and anxiety caused in part by all of the above!

Finding out a few months ago that my maternal grandmother died of bowel cancer at about my age has really added an element of excitement to my life.

So I've been getting a battery of tests done and the results so far have been that my liver enzyme levels are double what they should be, leading my Doc to ask if I have a problem with alcohol. I don't, however, have coeliac disease - which is a good thing I reckon.

I do, however, suddenly have arthritis in my knee according to the x-ray I got done to eliminate the possibility of cancerous bone metastases. So that's good news I guess?

The latest theory is that I have haemochromatosis - a genetic hereditary condition that means my body absorbs excess iron and deposits it around the place where it's not supposed to be. If untreated, it can lead to organ failure, cirrhosis of the liver, jaundice and other complication such as... mostly irreversible arthritis!

So more blood tests are being done on Friday with a view to confirming the diagnosis and commencing treatment which takes the form of phlebotomy - removing a pint of my blood every week for 2-3 years and then every few months for the rest of my life.

Ain't life grand?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Fucking weird, was just looking at this thread. 

I hope, whatever the test results are, you can get the treatment you need, buddy. 

And yeah. Life is "grand".
  • Wow Grem, that’s quite the list of ailments. Don’t quite know what else to say but y’know, clearly I wish you good luck with it all.
  • Thanks. Just feeling a bit sorry for myself really. Still, it's pretty certain that it's not cancer, so that's a win.

On a positive note, if it is haemochromatosis then it would neatly explain pretty much all of my symptoms and is treatable if not curable. Treatment would also, hopefully, sort out a lot of the symptoms I've got (other than the arthritis) which would make a massive difference to my quality of life.

Also to note: haemochromatosis is quite common and very under-diagnosed in northern European populaces, particularly in the Celtic races. It often takes decades to show symptoms, so it might be worth getting tested, particularly if there's anyone in your family that is confirmed to have it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Sounds shit grem, hugs! (Although not too tightly, don’t want to squeeze another shite out) Hope there’s a way to get it sorted.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • i was going to complain about my bad ankle but Grem's list deffo trumps that!

Hope things are sorted the best way, asap Grem!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That sounds rough Grem. Virtual hugs coming your way.
  • Remember that thumb that got hit with a mallet?
    Behind the following spoiler is how it’s “healing”.

Not too yucky but I know some people don’t like this stuff.
    Spoiler:
  • That's a rough list Grem.
    My Grandpa had that excess iron thing. For him it meant he just had to watch what he ate a bit, no Guinness, broccoli, limited red meat etc. As well as the blood letting, although I think that became less frequent over time with diet changes.
    I haven't been checked yet but my mum didn't inherit it so they said I should be fine.
  • Remember that thumb that got hit with a mallet?

Hey, you only lost half the thumbnail! That’s a lot better than losing all of it.
  • Gremill wrote:
    So more blood tests are being done on Friday with a view to confirming the diagnosis and commencing treatment which takes the form of phlebotomy - removing a pint of my blood every week for 2-3 years and then every few months for the rest of my life. Ain't life grand?

Yikes. I thought phlebotomy was one of those old-timey quack treatments, like using leeches. I guess not!

I guess from your point of view it’s no worse than donating blood every few months. Although, every week at the start sounds a bit more mental.
  • Gremill wrote:
    On a positive note, if it is haemochromatosis then it would neatly explain pretty much all of my symptoms and is treatable if not curable. Treatment would also, hopefully, sort out a lot of the symptoms I've got (other than the arthritis) which would make a massive difference to my quality of life.

I regret to inform you that my experiance watching House tells me this diagnosis is too convenient. One of your doctors needs to break into your home, and they"ll find out its caused by pigeons pooing in your loft or something.
  • Might be lupus or sarcoidosis.
  • It's never Lupus. 

My money is on Athlete's Foot that came into contact with a rare bacteria when rummaging through his attic. The fungal spores from athlete's foot (is it a fungus?) wouldn't do any harm normally, but the bacteria...yada yada...
  • Best of luck, Grem. Arthritis is a bastard, but it can be manageable - I've had it since my late teens and you've just got to beware of either damage or being too sedentary causing gradual restrictions in movement. I'm on good medication, and even with both my knees buggered I started doing indoor climbing last year that's really helped me fitness wise.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • What medication do they have you on?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Etanercept injections - prescribed via my anti-tnf clinic. Took me a while to get on it. Symptoms started at 16 and it took over a decade to get a proper diagnosis. Then another 5 or so years on different things.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Interesting. Ta.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's never lupus.  Why does everyone also say it's lupus?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    It's never lupus.  Why does everyone also say it's lupus?

I said it's never Lupus. Keep up SKRT.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's never lupus Cint.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Maybe it's [obscure condition that hasn't been seen in centuries].

Or maybe a [normally harmless condition suddenly elevated to life-threatening status].

If not, it could actually be [a reaction to a standard form of medication given earlier].
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Grem, here's hoping your quality of life gets as good as that new OLED telly.

All round strapping hugs chaps.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Killer sore throat with a headache, energy gone. Think it might be strep throat. How long does it take to pass?
  • Littlest had that (suspected) this week. Perked up in about 4-5 days.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Argh, another 2 days of it so. It's shite.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!