Which ailments currently beplague you
  • nick_md wrote:
    Yeah I know buddy, I've done it before and it really is that first night that just needs breaking, but it's not easy when I work late and there's free booze, plus my local is right there when I get off the train. Have decided to make a concerted effort after this weekend (catching up with mates).

I need to do the same.
    Lots to concentrate on and booze wont help.
    I can totally relate to that first night thing, get a week under my belt and I found it easy, until the next night out.
  • It's all the small decisions that add up, and by small I mean daily. Nobody aims to get fat, nobody aims to be unhealthy, but routine will subtly take your hand until you wake up one morning and you know it's going too far. At least for non-mentals, this is how it gets you. 

Having said that it takes effort to be a genuine alcoholic as opposed to generally drinking too much. My uncle and Grandad both died of it and to make a good go of it you have to start in the morning like they did. You can still ruin relationships, careers etc by drinking too much at night, every night, and maybe once that happens you give it your full concentration and start first thing, but there is a difference between the two.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Booze can be an insidious bedfellow.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This no eating for 3 hrs before bed is going to have me thin as a pencil unless I start going to bed at 3. I don't eat much in the mornings so it's like a 16 hr fast everyday.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You get used to it fast. Eat plenty, earlier.
  • I guess. Tbf it's probably a healthy thing to do anyway. France and Spain both do the main meal at lunch iirc. Certainly France does, although it's changing because da yoof.
  • This no eating for 3 hrs before bed is going to have me thin as a pencil unless I start going to bed at 3. I don't eat much in the mornings so it's like a 16 hr fast everyday.

16hr fast should be normal, really. I eat at 12, 4, and 8. Only on gym days I’ll eat a bit more.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think Id die if I waited til 12.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I generally don't eat anything until after work most days. It was surprising how quickly I got used to it.
  • I generally don't eat anything until after work most days. It was surprising how quickly I got used to it.
    Bruce-Campbell-en-The-Evil-Dead-e1345550790772.jpg
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I generally don't eat anything until after work most days. It was surprising how quickly I got used to it.

Yeah it's easy enough if you drink plenty of water through the day. I never have breakfast as it's too early for food when I get up, so it's only skipping a sandwich or whatever. It comes from working on the tools and getting job and knock, the faster you're done the faster you're home, stopping for bait makes it harder to get back up to speed afterwards and just means you finish later.

I thought in Spain it was customary to eat late, Kow?
  • Mmmm, late kow.

I generally don’t eat until lunch, and a couple of days a week go until tea time at 6ish.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah it's easy enough if you drink plenty of water through the day. I never have breakfast as it's too early for food when I get up, so it's only skipping a sandwich or whatever. It comes from working on the tools and getting job and knock, the faster you're done the faster you're home, stopping for bait makes it harder to get back up to speed afterwards and just means you finish later. I thought in Spain it was customary to eat late, Kow?

I eat really late because of my timetable but generally in Spain, the main meal is at lunch time and then 'dinner' is late - about 9, or 9.30- But dinner is a very light meal, a salad or something similar. But these traditions are changing anyway, as a more standard European working timetable is becoming adopted. At least in the cities the idea of a 2 or 3 hour lunchbreak is disappearing in favour of 30 minutes and then finishing earlier.
  • The 3hr thing is definitely helping. It's better this morning, less coughing/wheezing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Keep it up and it'll make a world of a difference.
  • Certainly will do.
  • So I’ve now been to see my consultant, following my blood test confirming that I have haemochromatosis – an inherited genetic condition that means my useless body stores excess iron in places it shouldn’t such as the liver, heart, pancreas and joints.  Most commonly, this means that you can end up with cirrhosis of the liver, the diabetes, arthritis and heart failure if it goes untreated.

Early symptoms can include fatigue, weakness, weight-loss, joint-pain and impotence (in men) whilst later symptoms if it goes untreated can include loss of libido, skin-darkening (perma-tanning!), abdominal pain, jaundice, chest-pain, shortness of breath and…shrinking testicles!  So all in all it’s pretty unpleasant.

However, now that I’ve been diagnosed as having it (both of your parents have to be positive too, although mine have the non-symptomatic version, the twats) I will be starting treatment in the next few weeks.  In practice, this means that I’ll have to visit the hospital once a week for the foreseeable future to have a pint of blood drained – this will encourage my body to generate new blood which will take the excess iron from my system and bind it to the blood.    This will continue until my serum ferritin levels (the amount of iron in my blood) gets back down to normal levels – about 100ng/ml.  It’s currently at 900!

It’s the most common genetic condition in the county and is hugely under-diagnosed – so I would highly recommend that if you are feeling any of the symptoms described above or know that anyone in your family has had liver problems etc in the past, GET YOURSELF TESTED.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That's a real bummer grem, but good that you have been diagnosed and can meet the challenge as much as possible.

Don't have any of the symptoms except, of course impotence.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • That sucks big time Grem. Good luck with the treatment.
  • That's a real bummer grem, but good that you have been diagnosed and can meet the challenge as much as possible.

Spoiler:

You're safe Gonz, it's just us Northern European honkies that get it.
  • Hope your blood letting goes smoothly Grem. Do Clinton's do a card for that?

Anyway, best it is diagnosed and hopefully they can get it balanced out and managed. I think I mentioned before that my Grandpa had the same thing, he went through the blood letting bit for a while but onced balanced it was fairly manageable going from there.
  • My stepmum has that. She responded really well to the treatment once they figured out what it was, which took a while iirc. Onward and upward Grem (not heaven, stay away from the light)!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sounds like a lot of hard graft Gremill. Have you tried holding a magnet under your arsehole?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    AKA the Jacksie Onassis.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Gremill wrote:
    That's a real bummer grem, but good that you have been diagnosed and can meet the challenge as much as possible.

Spoiler:

You're safe Gonz, it's just us Northern European honkies that get it.

Pretty sure my mum has pancake areolas, saw her coming out of the sh-

Wait, shit, you mean the thingy
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm oddly looking forward to the blood letting.

I'm not looking forward to a separate investigation I'm having to hopefully rule out inflammatory bowel disease.
  • Lose 3hp, gain 1 energy?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Lose 3hp, gain 1 energy?

Let's hope so!
  • Had a wee bit of a cough yesterday. Nothing major, I'd been expecting a cold, as I've got a 2 year old that goes to nursery, and I'm generally surrounded by old/sick/disabled people in work. Chest was quite tight with it though, was going to get an inhaler to help with it.

Woke up this morning, massive pains in my chest, right in the centre. Still tight to draw breath, but it's the pain - hurts to breathe, hurts even more to move. I'm hoping I've just coughed during the night and pulled a muscle in my chest. Sitting in work nearly greeting, think I might be visiting gavs work later if it doesn't improve.
  • Get yourself to your GP or call 111.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!