Punching ozno in the fuck - boxing and MMA for girlie men
  • No crowd UFC is gonna be weird
  • It'll be... fine. Worked for TUF no problem. Odd they're still wanting PPV money in the states though, could've easily taken the hit with ESPN money behind them, air it for free, and gain a whole load of fans.

But I'm not a Dana, so hey ho. Still "free" on BT here.
  • And everyone bar one of the 30 fighters have made weight. It is a lock for tomorrow night LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO

Fuck I'm so excited
  • Post the main card fights and your picks Gav and I'll do mine.
  • WcMPnod.jpg

Boom! I just have a feeling about Justin - his power, his tenacity, those first two rounds are gonna be crazy. Maybe Tony doing multiple weight cuts has messed with him, maybe he gets clipped.

I'm a huge Cruz fan boy so I'm always picking him. Rest are just hunches! Boom let's go!
  • Apart from Mitchell v Rosa. Love me some Thugnasty yee yee!!
  • There's about 4 names on that card I don't recognise but I'll make a pick in all of them anyway

Ferguson, Cejudo, Ngannou, Pettis, Stephens, De Castro, Werdum, Waterson, Jacare, Luque, Mitchell and Alvey.

Quite different from yours buts that's a good sign if you ask me.

Is Luque vs Price a rematch? That rings a bell for some reason.
  • Love it, Cuppa. That's why this card is so good, I think. So many 50/50s!

Any time I doubt Ferguson he comes out and puts on a show, and I'd be happy with that! It's gonna be nuts either way. Just can't believe you'd do my boy Cruz dirty like that... ;)

Yes, you're right on that rematch call. Luque won the first via darce.
  • I'm so excited about this, ++++++
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • You have a lot of faith in Cruz ha. I just keep under estimating Henry and he just gets so much better between each fight. I fear this may be asking to much of Cruz given his injuries, time out and maybe age.

Ferguson will gut it out I think, he's just so tough and surely the classier fighter but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the other way. What a match up that is.

Barring picking Esparza over Waterson I can see why you've picked the way you have.

Great card top to bottom.
  • Nah I'd never take away from Cejudo's skillset, he's a very special athlete. I just fucking hate his cringe shite. Like, it makes me piss myself laughing when he does his tough guy face. He's a wee banger.

Cruz for me is as close to a hero a grown man following the sport could have. I've had the same injuries in my knees, and whilst I'm not Dom fuckin' Cruz, listening to him talk about the injuries and his determination to get back, and also how he handles losses (his post fight presser after the loss to Cody? Wow) just made me have endless admiration for him. Love his co-comms too. Him, Rogan and Cormier man, the dream team. I just think he's amazing (and trying not to remember the fact he's that old and hasn't fought in 4yr and is about to face a very special athlete). I would just love the redemption of him coming back again and winning the strap.

Anyway, rambling aside... ONE MORE SLEEP. Yas Gonz, get involved ma man.
  • Jacare is out. Tested positive for Covid.  I hope this doesn't have a domino effect.  I wonder just how often they are being tested and if this will lead to more fighters or staff failing.
  • Yeah, fuck. Protip for future events: maybe have them tested at home first?
  • i can't believe they are doing it in the first place, I'm looking forward to the cards over the next week but I don't honestly think any of it should be happening.
  • Well, I'm glad they did tbh, despite my employment on the frontline. I thoroughly enjoyed having the lads on party chat, talking shit eating rubbish and watching some fights like normal. It was great to escape the nonsense tbh. But, I can absolutely see why someone would question it.

Man.. That card delivered in spades. Bryce Mitchell! My guy! Almost gottem with the twister, AGAIN. Niko Price you fucking savage. Kattar's hands are so goddamn smooth, a joy to watch. N'Gannou doing terrifying N'Gannou shit as usual. My only problem with the night is I think Cruz should've been given a couple more seconds. But then damn, Justin, you really went and fuckin did it buddy. Wow.

SEND. HIM. LOCATION.
  • Anyone else shocked by the lack of social distancing in this thing. Not everyone wearing masks etc.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Not shocked as by all accounts they have been tested repeatedly and will continue to do so after the event. I'm still of the belief that it was a crazy event to run and should never have happened but selfishly I loved it and was happy it took place. Cognitive Dissonance ahoy!

What a great card though. I've not yet watched the Fight pass prelims but damn that main card was great. 

My two cents: the Cruz stoppage was fair, he was rocked badly by the knee and was eating hard shots and not intelligently defending himself. His attitude after the fight was shit. You don't get to tell the ref how to do his job. Championship fight or not.  
    N'Gannou is a beast and in the best shape we have ever seen him. He is a genuinely monstrous man, albeit quite friendly, with a superhero physique and death in his hands. I have no doubt he'll be champ one day.
    I feel sorry for Ferguson, he spends years training to fight Khabib and ends up fighting a technical kick boxer who never even clinches never mind grapple on the ground. He was never in the fight at all and looked tired. Two weight cuts in three weeks is not good for your body. His coaching was appalling as well. Eddie Bravo is a BJJ genius but clueless when it comes to striking and he looked completely out of his depth. It reminded me Ronda's coach Tarverdyan coaching her between rounds against Holly holm. No advice at all, other than pretending they are looking great.  Khabib will be a happy man after this result I think.  Nobody has kept it standing yet and I can't see Gaethje managing it either. An all out striker is the perfect opponent for Khabib and I fully expect another win by submission.
    I didn't agree with some of the decisions either, I had both Cerrone and Werdum up two rounds to one. Ultimately don't leave it the judges though.
  • Have to agree with pretty much all of that Mr B. Im sure Cruz was out and came too just as the ref stepped in. Excellent stoppage imo. I saw a little of him talking to helwani on you tube today and he just seems to be digging himself a deeper hole to be honest, really laying into the ref saying he was hung over, wouldn't look him in the eye, I had a deal with him he wouldn't stop the fight etc etc . It was realy strange to listen to him grasp at straws, he's definitely got his mind set the ref was against him.

What a performance by Gaethje though, I didn't think he had that sort of restraint to stick to a plan. Realy impressive as was Tonys toughness. You called it Gav, fair play. I did hear Bravo telling him he was looking good, I remember thinking at the time what the hell is he talking about.
  • The difference in corning advice was shocking. TW spotted the opening in Ferguson's game after the first round and had Gaethje countering with a snappy 1-2. he went on to land that counter for the whole fight. Everytime TF opened up after that he ate two shots for every one he attempted. By round four TF was pullling his head as he threw, expecting the counter, so pulling his punch. Only making things worse. We could see this nplaying out at home, JG corner spotted it and so did the commentary team.  Eddie Bravo apparently saw nothing and just kept giving the same unhelpful coaching advice.  He's a BJJ genius but no use at all if your gameplan is to keep it on the feet. I really don't get why he never looked to clinch or take it to the ground where he should have the upper hand.
  • I really enjoyed this video, specifically for the stuff on Xu Xiaodong at the end - a Chinese MMA guy who taken it on himself to show that so-called 'grand masters' of martial arts are fakes and would get battered irl. As a result of shaming the traditional arts, he's had his social clout reduced so he can't travel by air or high-speed train, and just generally been on the wrong side of the Chinese government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbSCEhmjJA
  • I misread that at first, thinking it was saying MMA was fake.
  • Nice mini-doc there @nick

TBF the blinkered brain washed mindset in martial arts isn't isolated to China. I've been learning BJJ for a few years now and my gym is a sweaty old MMA gym with lots of fighters and instructors trained to high levels in various different arts.  It's a total bullshit and mostly ego free place which is one of the reasons I love it and love getting on the mats and miss it so badly right now.  
    We see this a lot in the gym, people come in to start learning MMA or grappling with previous training, black belts in this and that, even Olympic experience, and their over confidence in their art and their skills is shocking. Not all but certain types of karate, traditional jui-jitsu, tkd, and even modern Judo and no-gi BJJ are so restrictive in their rule-set and have moved quite far from being a martial art and closer to a sport.  When these people compete, just their first few sparring sessions or first few rolls on the mat they are so confused and frustrated. Judo black belts that cannot stop takedowns as they simply aren't used to someone shooting on them.  So many striking arts where they have lost the skills to clinch and break grips effectively. They end on their backs or worse, their bellies, very quickly and you can see the moment their hearts break when the young kid half their weight takes their neck for the fifth time that round.
    MMA becoming mainstream is starting to make a difference though and people are learning to adapt. Slowly though and with gritted teeth. Even defence systems like Krav are now teaching ground skills and takedowns and the counters and defences for them. A poorly executed rear naked choke (looking at you tv/movies with your hand on top of head nonsense) can still be very dangerous especially when you start cranking it.
  • Didn’t know Khabib’s father passed away in May from Covid-related complications, only just read about it. May he rest in peace.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yep. Sad news. An absolute credit to the sport.

RIP.
  • Masvidal stepping in on six days notice to fight for the welterweight strap in Abu Dhabi you really do just love to see it

VacantRepulsiveHoneybee-size_restricted.gif
  • All main card fighters made weight. Let's do this baby!

• Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Stipe Miocic seems like a pretty sound guy, I'll be pulling for him.
  • That man Izzy. What a performance! Absolutely smoked him!
  • He made that look very easy didn't he?  Poor Costa looked to be out of ideas almost instantly.  Just alternated between spamming the taunt button and taking nasty leg kicks.

Spectacular stuff from Blachowicz too!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!