BladeRunner 2049: Do Fanboys Dream Of Eclectic Geeks?
  • But the memory is only a gamble in the context that someone has an idea that replicant babies are a thing. Goz had the risky memory and it was meaningless until he saw the number on the tree. He was also presumably one of the few people who could have seen the tree and had the power to investigate. Everyone else just thinks it’s a weird horse bully dream.
    But if she says the thing I think she says, how would the others think they were the child as well?
    Despite K’s belief that he is the son of Deckard and Rachael, he learns that through their shared memories each one of the members of the resistance has felt that way before.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/blade-runner-2049-secrets-explained/
  • Isn't the line more along the lines of "we all wish we were", which seems to deliberately leave the question of the uniqueness of that memory hanging. Should it matter to K that the memory is not unique? This seems played on shortly afterwards when the hologram of Joi calls him a Joe.

The film could be accused of trying too hard with this stuff, but I think it really pulls it off.
  • I don't think, despite it's allusions to being deep and profound, it really stands up to this level of scrutiny.
  • I'll agree to disagree. I think it puts some really interesting questions into a decent, beautiful narrative. Some of the characters motives are a bit contrived, but overall I think it works really well.
  • I took it that it was a common replicant memory – replicant memories being patchworks of fiction bundled together, so lots of (but not all) replicants got the wooden horse one. K used it as a clue because he saw the date on the tree. He wasn’t unique, he was in the right place and luckily had that memory.

We shouldn’t assume that he was the orphan boy with the faked DNA match. All we know is that there was a boy. K didn’t know it was him, he just made that leap because of the horse memory and because he was an orphan of about the right age too (or at least thinks he was, because of that memory).

I think that the one-eyed woman was just making a general comment about everybody wanting to be special, and referring to every replicant who helped the cause thinking, at some point, that they could be the miracle child.

• poprock wrote:
    I took it that it was a common replicant memory – replicant memories being patchworks of fiction bundled together, so lots of (but not all) replicants got the wooden horse one. K used it as a clue because he saw the date on the tree. He wasn’t unique, he was in the right place and luckily had that memory. We shouldn’t assume that he was the orphan boy with the faked DNA match. All we know is that there was a boy. K didn’t know it was him, he just made that leap because of the horse memory and because he was an orphan of about the right age too (or at least thinks he was, because of that memory). I think that the one-eyed woman was just making a general comment about everybody wanting to be special, and referring to every replicant who helped the cause thinking, at some point, that they could be the miracle child.
    That was pretty much exactly my reading of it.
  • There might be other things that make people feel like they want to get out of being replicants. Because they’re an underclass replicants may grasp onto anything that will help them get out of their situation.
  • I didn’t pick up on the DNA not being his. That was eary on and you just assume it’s him. But yeah that makes it much less contrived.
    voices wrote:
    I'll agree to disagree. I think it puts some really interesting questions into a decent, beautiful narrative. Some of the characters motives are a bit contrived, but overall I think it works really well.
    I didn’t mean to really disagree with you. I think it’s works on some level but not as a film that you can spend ages poring over the details of, expecting to get some brilliant insights from. It’s the visuals, the atmosphere and the ambiguity that make it, not the story.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Before seeing her, did anyone else expect K's girlfriend to be BMO from Adventure Time? Just me? Fair enough.
  • poprock wrote:
    ...He wasn’t unique, he was in the right place and luckily had that memory. We shouldn’t assume that he was the orphan boy with the faked DNA match. All we know is that there was a boy. K didn’t know it was him, he just made that leap because of the horse memory and because he was an orphan of about the right age too (or at least thinks he was, because of that memory)....
    I saw the film a week ago, I've a bad memory and Im not 100% sure anyway but I didn't think there wasn't another relevant child. I thought that they just duplicated the DNA record of some child whose age matched and created a fake record for Bubble. A fake record of a "boy" who was in the orphanage and then the record "goes missing". Trail to the child cold and dead.

I don't think it matters though tbh. I agree (at least on just one viewing) that this is more about the audio visuals than about a story to be forensically examined.
    As for questions, I don't think this film asks any new ones. I think its quite simplistic. Its well done though, I think the films carries on the themes from the original in a somewhat logical way,puts it's own spin on things and doesn't rock the boat too much.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yeah, that’s fair too. There didn’t need to really be a boy.

There’s two possibilities:

1. There was an orphan boy, whose DNA record was fudged to make it match the girl.
    2. A fake DNA record was made, matching the girl, along with fake records of the boy going to the same orphanage she did.

Doesn’t matter which is correct, for the sake of our story.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think placing the wooden horse in the disused furnace shows that the implanted memory is more likely to be unique to K. 

Whether that was done to draw him out or not as part of a plan is a different thing altogether.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Why?

It's pretty obvious the memory wasn't unique.

The hooker touched the horse in his apartment and said something about memories.
    Likely to make you question whether he was the child or not.

It was referenced quite a few times.

It's meant to be ambiguous.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dan wrote:
    Why? It's pretty obvious the memory wasn't unique. The hooker touched the horse in his apartment and said something about memories. Likely to make you question whether he was the child or not. It was referenced quite a few times. It's meant to be ambiguous.

Don't remember that bit about the hooker.

I just reckoned that if enough people had that memory the odds of the horse being found by multiple people would increase.  OK - it was in a pretty hard place to find - so maybe that was insurance enough.

Maybe it was used as a honeypot by that one eyed woman to catch everyone who had the implant? Maybe.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The wooden horse memory only took on significant meaning (beyond its character-building original purpose) because K saw the same date carved into the petrified tree, where Rachael was buried. It only took on significant meaning to him, and as a professional investigator he made the connection and went on to investigate.
  • Aye, and no, not a honeypot - but potentially a way to recruit people for the cause.

The film's not meant for intricate plot point picking, but yeah, I'm seeing lots of points picked when the opposite seems to the case.

K is a replicant - that's not an issue

The horse memory isn't unique - and that's not an issue

On Deckard - Villeneuve intentionally made it ambiguous whether he's a replicant or not.

That's obvious in the film.

It doesn't matter if he's human - which I see him as being.
    Rambling on why he can be human:
    Spoiler:
    It's out of respect for the source material, and the original film.

But yeah, he said it in interview anyway:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/blade-runner-2049-denis-villeneuve-replicants-best-cut-interview-1201882907/
    Scott finally got his hands back on “Blade Runner” in 2007, and when his “Final Cut” was released, he laid to rest the great debate surrounding his lead protagonist: Scott said Deckard was a replicant who thought he was a human, contradicting co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher, Ford’s interpretation, and the original intentions of Phillip K. Dick, whose 1968 novel, “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” inspired the film.
    In preparing for “Blade Runner 2049,” Villeneuve also referenced Dick’s novel, “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”, noting key issues of identity within the book’s characters.
    “I loved that some of the characters are doubting about their identity,” he said. “Some cops are asking to be given the Voight-Kampff test because they aren’t sure if they are replicants or not. If someone played with your memory, you don’t know if you might be a replicant, so I like the idea that the characters are doubting about themselves; that kind of inner paranoia about your own identity. I thought it was quite interesting and relevant in the ‘2049’ project.”
    When asked if he preferred the ambiguity such questions invited, Villeneuve was emphatic.
    “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,” he said. “I think it’s more interesting to have an unanswered . I think it’s better to not know. For me, it’s more interesting if Deckard is not sure if he [is a replicant]. I like the ambiguity. I liked it because it created a vertigo. That’s the beauty of sci-fi: that it’s lore outside of our zone of comfort, of knowledge, and goes into the unknown. And that when you cross there, it’s a beautiful sensation.”
    As for the crossover between “Blade Runner” and “Blade Runner 2049,” Villeneuve said the sequel is “in between” the theatrical and final cuts of the original.

So if people take issue with that decision that's fine, but that's clearly the intent.

People are discussing whether Deckard is a replicant or not, not just because that was the case with the original, but because Villeneuve chose an in the middle position - which works as a follow on from either the theatrical cut where he wasn't a replicant, or the later cuts where he was.

Anyway, I might get slated for fans of the original for this, but that shows a lot more respect and understanding of the original story than Ridley Scott seemed to show.

The story doesn't really make any sense if Deckard is a replicant. It's not what Philip K Dick intended. Scott for whatever reason went against everyone on that.

The ambiguity also feeds into the classic paranoia present in a Philip K Dick novel, where characters question their existence and reality.

I'm reading We Can Build You at the moment - which is like a precursor to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and in it the protagonist goes and sees a shrink and says to him jokingly that he's not real and he's an android etc. It's massively focused on mental illness.

They test all children for mental illness and a huge number get put in institutions etc.

The androids in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep are apparently meant to be a metaphor for people that behave in a non human way - sociopaths - people with no empathy:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/philip_k._dick_on_sex_between_humans_and_androids

So you've got a story about a guy that's sociopathically hunting down sociopaths, questioning if he's one himself, etc.

The androids etc. are only metaphor or framework with which to examine these issues.

So why does it matter how they're made/born/created? This isn't hard sci fi.

It's socio / philosophical exploration. It's regularly said that dystopic fiction and sci fi is simply used as a mirror to examine current society and issues. That's what Dick was doing.

So yeah, I'd just enjoy the visuals and experience while thinking about some of those things maybe. Explaining it now I'm not sure I even like the Dick's core premise. It seems potentially to lack the very empathy he's saying is missing. Only read the book once and over a decade ago. It wasn't my favourite.

Anyway, will spare you more rambling.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good post there Dan.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    First thought, when I saw the hives was, 'ooh clever Deck - stuck out there 300 miles from L.A. using bees for Honey'.  But were they real?  Was it, we are all drones or a reproductive metaphor, or a link to the flower on Rachel's tree-grave, have i smoked too much?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I think the horse memory was not a clue to find the daughter, I think it was related to her saying that there is a piece of the artist in their art(or whatever). I agree with Pop that it only mattered because K saw the date on the tree. Who knows how many replicants had the memory, none of them would have seen the date on the tree.

EDIT I never read the novel, from the sounds of it Scott created his own thing so im not in any way hung up on authenticity to the novel.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I saw it as a reproductive metaphor, and wondered if they were real or not.
    A beehive teeming with bees surrounded by the female form. Like a nexus
    Also their child was likely conceived there no?
    The cradle of new life

It's exploring quite a different theme from the novel.

The novel was about the dehumanising effect of killing non humans - becoming what you destroy - I believe
    Making you think about what it means to be human/alive

The film seems very much about birth, life, the freedom to live
    Making you think about what it means to be human/alive
  • Saw this last night and thought it was great. Not best-thing-ever great but a nice way to spend 3 hrs, especially because I bought some Jelly Belly Beans and had forgotten how much I liked them, to such an extent I missed a plot point because I was trying to figure out what flavour one of them was. 

I didn't like the chosen one coincidence but that was remedied later on. I wasn't that keen with Wallace wanting his replicants to have babies bit, which is at odds with the keeping it under wraps to not break the World thing. I liked the hologram/replicant relationship idea a lot, just as I liked the hologram/human relationship in the first. There were a lot of smart touches ("Her eyes were green") and I thought the ending was especially good, apart from when Ford nearly drowns. I suspect he hammed it up because he was in the background during the replicant fight and was a touch jealous.
  • I never read the novel, from the sounds of it Scott created his own thing so im not in any way hung up on authenticity to the novel.

Aye, same here. The book was only a jumping off point for writing the original movie. They didn’t keep much in common. This is a sequel to the film, not the book.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's nowt wrong with taking and developing the ideas of both. I think I prefer 2048 to the original now. I want to see it again.
  • Yeah, there's a quote from Villeneuve above referencing the book. He made his own film, and took inspiration from both, with respect for both. So respect to Villeneuve.
  • Ohh, 2048 could have been a good in the title - binary
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I missed a plot point because I was trying to figure out what flavour one of them was. 

Weaving ambiguity into your cinema-snacking experience is some next level film making.

Bravo, Villeneuve.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dan wrote:
    Ohh, 2048 could have been a good in the title - binary

Blimey, I wondered what you were on about then clocked my typo.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just out of this, thoroughly enjoyed it, with some caveats. 4/5

Tampering with the original is not welcome (the meeting between Deckard and Rachael was set up?). And the whole baby thing is a bit sus (which is a fairly big caveat seeing as it's the premise). But apart from that the mood and look and feel were all great. I enjoyed the music too, thought it was a modern nod to Vangelis' original score. I'll need to see it again but in the end I thought it did a fairly good job of expanding on the 'what is human' of the original.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Finally saw it tonight.

I tend to agree with the more critical consensus; the plot jus doesn't hold together too well under scrutiny, and there were too many things introduced that didn't really add much (why introduce the theme of sacrificing yourself for a greater cause 2/3rds of the way into the film, from a hitherto completely unknown character who is then never seen again?!). Surface-level philosophy that meandered around a sequence of contrivances. I like it the less I think about it.

That said, visually it was amazing. I'll watch it again just for the depiction of the gargantuan, monolithic megalopolis of LA or the crumbling edifice to hedonism that was Last Vegas. Amazing design work all round.

I came away liking it, which I think speaks to it's general competency. It's a shame that my viewing experience was marred by seeing it in an absolutely awful cinema - noise from the film next door leaked through, the seating was so shallow I had to look up, the rest of the audience couldn't stop whispering and halfway through the crowd outside by the concession stands became loud enough to hear. Completely ruined the quieter moments, and I wonder if I would have had a better impression in more ideal circumstances.

The gf did say I look a bit like Gosling though, so that's something.
    The janitor.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Watching Dangerous Days at the moment.  For those that like to complain about the unicorn scene, it was actually in the original cut shown to producers and test audiences, which then ties to the origami unicorn left by Gaff at the end.  Producer interference and some degree of audience confusion led to Scott having to remove it.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!