BladeRunner 2049: Do Fanboys Dream Of Eclectic Geeks?
  • Just got back and I thought it was a fantastic sequel - I just loved being back in that world again and they absolutely nailed it visually, gorgeous to look at throughout.

The more I think about the plot, the more irked I get... so I can understand the frustrations of others.
  • Visually stunning.

I love how some of the effects are intentionally like the 80's. The slight blue glow around the sky cars when flying through the city rain at night.

I had deliberately avoided any media coverage of this, so had no clue Bautista or Leto would be in it.

There's definitely plot holes, and contrivances, but it's still a great watch, and despite being long, never dragged.

That's two great Harrison Ford sequels in two years.
  • I've not read any of the proceeding posts as trying to a avoid spoilers. One simple question, if you haven't watched BR1 or forgotten most of it. Will that detract from the experience of the sequel?
  • No. There might be subtle references you miss, but it gives all the backstory you need.
  • I'd argue that it absolutely would detract although it does provide the backstory like Chopper says.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would watch the original first, not seeing it will detract from the new one - it's available for digital rent if you want to watch it legally ASAP.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Let's talk about BladeRunner, because the history of BladeRunner is interesting.

For decades people have argued over the ambiguity of Deckards origins. Is he a replicant? Is he human?
    It's an interesting discussion, but not for the reasons people think. It's a discussion that's actually based around the nature of memory, and this is interesting because that's one of the central themes of the original film.
    There is no ambiguity at all, it's just that memories have been altered as the years have passed and the film has been tinkered with.
    In the original film, which I saw when I was about seventeen, Deckard is human, he's categorically not a replicant, and this is interesting because he's a human who falls in love with a replicant. End of story.

This story stood for well over a decade, which is a long time in terms of cinema. During that period there was no talk ever of Deckard being a replicant, and during that period I saw the film many times.

Then something changed.
    It was the early 90's and I remember reading in Empire that someone had come up with a work print of the film and there were suggestions that Deckard was a replicant. At the time Scott disowned this version, and when quizzed about the new Deckard theory, would flat out deny it.

But that print was screened and grew traction with fans of the film. What followed was a decade of tinkering by Scott and a lot of revisionist positing that culminated in him finally stating that yes, Deckard is a replicant, he was always a replicant, and if you can't see that then you're a moron. Oh really?
    And this is where the faux ambiguity of BladeRunner stems from. Scott had released a final version of the film (as well as a director's cut a couple of years prior that was largely the same as that) that now categorically positioned Deckard's character as being a replicant. Now that's quite a big WTF, because for the original audience, this was never the case, and it throws up more problems than it solves, because Deckard being a replicant changes every single action from eating noodles to drinking whisky that his character makes in the film. It's actually quite problematic, because you're effectively retro-fitting a breathtaking change into something that was never written that way.

The origins of the story are lost in the mists of hazy memories too. The two original screenwriters can't remember coming up with the Deckard is a replicant idea, and instead tell a tale of universally mistaking each others contributions, and originally the unicorn dream sequence was apparently shot, although it's worth noting that it was never in the work print, so the idea must have been shelved as being a bit silly quite early on. The director's cut apparently used shots from the unicorn from Scott's fantasy film Legend. However the final cut apparently has a restored version of what was shot for BladeRunner.

Scott has essentially re-written history, but in the process ended up with something of a fudge because his character was never intended to be anything other than human. Oh, and he's been paid handsomely for his trouble. Convenient that.

So there we have it. The ambiguity of Deckard's character exists not in the films, of which there are essentially two versions. The original film where Deckard is human, and the final cut where Deckard is a replicant. No, the ambiguity lies in the real world and the re-writing of history.

If you grew up with BladeRunner like me, then you'll have a big old soft spot for the original film which is a simple film noir set against a stunning visual backdrop, and Deckard is human.
    But if you're of a younger age, the chances are you either haven't seen that version, or certainly didn't see it first, or on a big screen at the cinema, and for you Deckard is a replicant.

It's a philosophical headfuck that's been created by thirty five years of tinkering by an artist who seeing an opportunity, caught the ball and ran with it.

Which brings us to the sequel...

And this is where it gets silly again. There is no ambiguity in BladeRunner: The Final Cut. Ridley Scott's definitive version of the film. Deckard is a replicant.
    However, thirty five years have passed and the world has changed. We live in the age of FaceTube and YouBook and always online. An age where mystery and ambiguity are kings, mystery boxes to be opened and endlessly dissected, poked and discussed around the globe. Discussions that go on for ever, because there is no answer and every theory is as valid as the next.
     So now we're in a situation where Scott and Villeneuve sit beside each other and Scott will state that Deckard is a replicant, and Villeneuve will interject and say, actually I don't necessarily think that's the case Ridley...
    And this stinks of engineered marketing for the times we live in. Let's keep the discussion going. Let's keep the kettle boiling. But does this service the viewer in any meaningful way? Does it fuck.

I'd argue that Harrison Ford's appearance in BladeRunner 2049 is a bit of a fudge, and would have worked far better if his name hadn't been on the poster, his appearance had been kept secret, and he certainly hadn't appeared in any of the trailers. Because lets be honest, once you've seen him in the trailer, what more does his character actually add to the film once you've seen it. Not terribly much sadly.

For a film about memory and the nature of being human, his appearance in the sequel adds nothing except a bankable face for box office. He's the least interesting aspect of an otherwise thoughtful piece. He is the maltese falcon, but he turns out to be an empty and largely pointless Macguffin. So much more could have been done with his character than what makes it into the film. I see it as a huge missed opportunity. Where has he been for thirty five years? Is he really Deckard? What are his memories? How long does he have left? What were his feelings for Rachael? Why does he seem somewhat ambivalent about having fathered the only replicant child in history? There are just so many interesting places they could have gone with his character. Instead he virtually refuses to answer any questions because we're engineering ambiguity into this thing. M'kay? 
    It's a bit of a shame really, because I think Villeneuve is one of a select few directors who would have been genuinely capable of doing really interesting things with his character.

And there we have it. After thirty five years of ambiguity that didn't actually exist, the filmmakers have finally engineered a scenario of genuine ambiguity into their sequel, and artistically (in my opinion) it's a mistake. Financially of course it makes perfect sense.

funny thing memory

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Whilst I don't have the same problems you have with the film, that was a cracking read G.

For me, the film works regardless of the Deckard baggage you take into the sequel, much in the same way that Atticus Finch is essentially the same person in both Lee novels. Yet, I'm willing to treat them as two different versions of the same person, alternative realities, if you wish. Finch may be the altruistic lawyer of the sequel or be shown to be the
    Spoiler:
    of the sequel. Rubbish example I guess, as he's ostensibly the same character changing over time. Yet, I can understand why some might want to distance the Finch of To Kill with the Finch in Watchman.

In a roundabout way, I can treat both BR films as part of the same story or alternative universe variations where Deckard is either human or replicant. I don't care much for what Scott or Villeneuve argue over, I'm happy to judge it on my interpretation.

• Yeah, bottom line is the sequel is a good film that's treats the original with the respect it deserves. How you view some of it's plotting and themes though is definitely going to be informed by however much baggage you've had to carry from the somewhat muddled journey of the original.
  • G, are there any other films you hold in high esteem as BR? You seem good value for recommendations. 

And as an aside, I wonder if we will ever see a film that has aged as well and been regarded as highly as BR in the general "scifi" genre. I can't think of any that touch on philosophical questions in quite the same manner. Maybe The Man from Earth but that gets a bit too fantastical towards the end (and has a sequel out this month too).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Are there more sequels planned for Bladerunner? I got the impression there would be.
  • @Vela 
    Oh, there are probably many. I was quite the cineaste in my youth. I couldn't really give you a list though, because that's just not the way my brain works.
    Always been a big fan of Sergio Leone and Stanley Kubrick, but I have very broad taste when it comes to cinema, and many of my personal favourites like Jim McBide's Breathless re-make and Walter Hill's Streets of Fire are far from universally loved.
    I don't bother with current modern cinema much now, but my mother was a film nut, and so I was raised to absorb virtually everything I came across.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Are there more sequels planned for Bladerunner? I got the impression there would be.
    I personally hope not, but if this one does well there will undoubtably be more.
  • As for BladeRunner, I don't think there is a perfect version in existence. For me, a perfect version wouldn't have the unicorn dream sequence. The final cut benefits in many ways from having the narration removed, but it's problematic because you lose so much exposition.
    If you haven't seen the theatrical version then you probably wouldn't be aware that Deckard isn't a BladeRunner, he's an ex-BladeRunner. Gaff is not his partner, and they have no previous relationship other than Deckard remembering seeing him about the police station. There's a tonne of stuff like this that you lose in the final cut, and it's now made relevant because Villeneuve kind of references both versions of BladeRunner with the plot of his sequel.
    If Deckard is a replicant and his meeting with Rachel is engineered by Tyrell, then that actually works with the information excised from the narration in the original theatrical cut. Deckard could be brand spanking new and just thinks he's an ex-BladeRunner because that's how he's programmed to think. Gaff could be in on the whole thing and working for Tyrell. That sort of thing. It's retrofitting a plot, but it's a reasonably elegant solution.

It's problematic though, because in the version of BladeRunner that theory references, Deckard is not a replicant. For that you have to move to the final cut, but that's problematic because it's had all the exposition removed from it, so if (like many people) you haven't seen the original theatrical cut, then you're going to be completely unaware of what Deckard thinks his own backstory and place in the world is.

problems problems

g.man
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've started to hear suggestions that this isn't doing fantasticly financially, which is good because it already exists and it would be cheapen both films if they turned them into a sequel factory.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah, I think this is as decent a stab at a sequel as you're ever going to get. I really don't have the appetite for any attempts to turn it into a franchise though.
  • Vela wrote:
    And as an aside, I wonder if we will ever see a film that has aged as well and been regarded as highly as BR in the general "scifi" genre. I can't think of any that touch on philosophical questions in quite the same manner. Maybe The Man from Earth but that gets a bit too fantastical towards the end (and has a sequel out this month too).

I love sci-fi in literary and movie format. I think Alphavile has aged pretty well and Children of Men is embedded with realism throughout which makes it a believable dystopian future. Same could be said for 1984 and the TV version of Handmaiden's Tale. Gattacca could hold true within the next 50 years and be interesting as to whether Annihilation can translate the tone and eerie prose of the book to the big screen.
  • Aye, Children of Men is a belter of a film.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The bit where they're trying to start the car on that hill has me literally squirming in my seat every time I watch it, even though I know the outcome.
  • I thought it was a good movie. A long movie but good.

It’s tricky to read much into it because when you think about any of it it’d clearly a badly arranged world.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just seen this. The og Blade Runner flips back and forward with Alien as my favourite film of all time so it had a hard act to follow.
    I enjoyed it, definitely, but it still seemed superfluous to me - there's no new ideas that weren't fully explored in the first film, and although it has the looks and the aurals to impress, the narrative felt... Dull. It's far too long, and K's AI girlfriend was a travesty, and what seemed like a plot contrivance for allowing him to talk, without resorting to monologues (shakes fist). There'll be lovely GIFs doing the rounds on Twitter of the visuals, and the ost is will worth a pop, but I am not rushing to see it again any time soon. The original? Probably watch that again tomorrow.
  • Been quite a while since I've seen the first film, but I've managed to find my BluRay of The Final Cut. Think I'll re-watch it tonight. Which probably means I'll waffle on some more after that.
  • Enjoyed it. A bit too long and some bits were a bit dull, but overall enjoyed it. There are holes and the whole film fels slightly pointless but I love the setting and soundtrack etc. 

Not a patch on the original though. 

And loving G's posts.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Saw this last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit, but certainly has some flaws - the length being a big one. Lovely visuals though, great sound too.

I don't think it could have been much more successful though tbh. I'm fairly surprised it didn't turn out to be a huge mistake, although I do still think it was a bit unnecessary.
  • I loved the length of it. The pace was very slow. Editing the same. Gave it time to breathe. I can't stop thinking about it. I truly loved it. It absolutely is an unnecessary sequel and at times felt a little vague and empty but the story they told was good and well told.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Would have been cool if there was another blade runner in between. The film groans under how much set up it needs for the other stuff to work.

I think all the characters and actors were really good (especially murder Rachael) but the place they were in was stupid.

It felt at times like the film was on tv and replaced real adverts with product placement at fifteen minute intevals. Also in a world where any sexual desire can be fulfilled where were the sexy blokes?

• I very much enjoyed 2049, having watched BR Final cut the day before to jog my memory, and I'm glad I did (I'd only seen BR once before and tbh it didn't leave a huge impression on me back then). I thought that visually it was fantastic, and even the run time wasn't a huge issue. 

Loved K's coat.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Final Cut of BR is unambigious. I love it but if it could have been made ambiguous it would have been better.

Something  could have been made of the scene where Deckard sits at the piano  - it could have hinted at genuine or implanted memories. That would have replaced the dream sequence.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • As soon as the unicorn was put in it seems unambiguous to me.

Or too much of a dangerous coincidence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!