Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus
  • 'we wanted to be respectful of what happened' some Cod developer in an IGN game play vid. Twats.

equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Wow this is reviewing really well.
  • I’ve put a good amount of time in. It’s the only game that’s made me laugh out loud in recent memory. The absurdity of what you are doing is seasoned with some excellent writing and voice work which makes for a sweet and savoury delight.

Mobility feels flat after D2 and it’s a one and done from top to bottom, but a really fun one.
  • three1ne wrote:
    I don't. Trading for COD

What didn't you like about it out of interest? Contemplating a purchase because of like to play a shooter that isn't Destiny. The first one didn't do much for me though...
  • The actual game play is as bland as ever. Zero set peices/scripted sequences. Absolutely none. It's just a corridor shooter. I realise that's what Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein is built on but this fucking game constantly teases you with its overlong, albeit well done, cutscenes that you may in fact have a different game play mechanic presented to you only for the cutscene to end and you start off back in a different corridor rincing and repeating the same old kill everything routine.

Best example is
    Spoiler:

The game play is slick. It runs flawlessly on ps4. Which is annoying thing to have to be happy with but it really is a welcome change. Constant 60fps.

• Right after your spoiler this set piece happens.
    Spoiler:

This was preceded by an open area with multiple routes, elaboratedly connected through broken
    -down scenery. In a swamp of ethnic-cleansing where I had to jump on the floating bodies in the river to proceed.

It’s fucked up set piece after set piece.

I do agree about the gameplay being old school. You have to be on board for that, it works for me as this is a quick bit of fun.

• Agree re: the bland corridor levels.  I find it pretty hard to figure out where to go when a level appears to be fairly open, but there's only one path through that you have to find.  Still haven't figured out which bits of rubble I can climb over and which are just camoflaged dead ends. 

I'm finding the story and setting to be engrossing though, reckon they've done a great job there again.

EDIT: That spoiler sounds great!  Can't wait.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I don't really consider that a set piece at all.

I get how people like it. It's just not clicking with me.
  • Completed this last night and enjoyed it on the whole!

Don't really have any new thoughts to express - what I liked at the start of the game I continued to like (ie: the story, the setting, the characters.), what annoyed me continued to annoy me (ie: the layout of the levels, mission objectives).

I played it on easy, and found the shoot outs to be entertaining in and of themselves, if a little repetitive.  No shoot outs in particular spring to mind as favourites as I type this.  They sort of all blend in to one another!

A lot of cut scenes etc spring to mind though.  I found them entertaining for the most part and I love that even though it's all very schlocky, it's treated seriously and there's really not to many nudge nudge wink wink laughs.  Plenty of humour but it doesn't come from trashing itself.

Agree with three1ne's criticisms and wish the colour from the cut scenes more often showed in the levels themselves.  I really liked it but don't feel the need to revisit. Maybe when the 3rd game comes out.  Great fun, not sure it's in my top 10 for the year though that's more down to how many great games there's been than a knock on Wolfenstein.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Free trial available on all platforms of the first level, and it's currently in most BF offers. Oh so very tempting! Only heard great things about the game.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    All the signs point to a significant price cut in the new year.

Releasing a game like this at this point in the year was utterly crazy.
  • I was enjoying this. And then I started playing Skyrim again.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Finished CoD so moved back onto this and it’s a riot, love the story, characters, crazy enemies and the shootouts are always intense. Love it. Got through a great section today in which:
    Spoiler:
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Finished CoD so moved back onto this and it’s a riot, love the story, characters, crazy enemies and the shootouts are always intense. Love it. Got through a great section today in which:
    Spoiler:

Wish I'd known what that spoiler was before I clicked it!

Anyways, enjoying this myself, about half way through I think. The general complaints that the gameplay isn't as good as the world/story going on are fair IMO, sometimes you need to figure out what the game wants from you in a section: Am I stealthing through? Am I holding position and picking people off? Or am I going duel wield and fucking people up?

Also, I wish the collectables were on the map at all times as I don't necessarily want to spent time wandering about and searching for stuff but if I know it's there I'll go get it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh man sorry I should change that!!

Yeah that’s my gripe really, it’s not well signposted but I took that as it came really and just turned everything into lead and laser heaven!! But in terms of the objectives etc yes, sometimes it was irritating just trying to find the navpoint on the screen.
  • Just had a whole bunch of 'what the fuck' moments in a row! Mental game
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    This is £20 on Green Man Gaming. I'm tempted.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • So Amy just bought me this on the xbox one. Does it het better after the sub?
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    So Amy just bought me this on the xbox one. Does it het better after the sub?

That's what I'm hoping.
  • Just finished it today. Bitch of a last level but absolutely loved it. Real old style FPS.
  • Playing through the 1st (it was 3.99 on psn sale a month ago) and ordered the new one for Christmas for 19.99 in the sales. Didn't think I'd enjoy these as much as I am. Well, enjoying on easy, had it on normal and was just getting frustrated. Weirdly Im into this for the story and setting rather than the shooting. It's like the nega-doom.
  • Im playing on hard
    PSN - minkymu
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    As someone who loved New Order i thought the first few levels of NC were vdull but enjoyed the rendition of Der Beatles on the sub.
  • Yeah, I've put a couple of hours into NC, and so far while it's an awesome tech showcase, as a game it's fucking rotten. Glad I got it in the sales. Hopefully it gets better as it goes on.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Also I am having a shocking experience on PC with technical issues. 50% chance it gets a crash dump error on boot.
  • Jebus! Runs like a charm on the BoneX. Just a pity it's been such a poor game so far.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Playing through new order, and I nearly deleted it about half an hour in as I was so bored. Glad I didn't, but it seems these games have a habit of really slow and crappy openings?
  • I grabbed this in the sales too.  It's a weird game, in that it's tonally all over the place, and that erratic nature seems to spill over into the gameplay.  I may just be shit, but it feels like it lurches from straight forward and thrilling, to painfully tough on a regular basis.  The main upshot of which is that I end up saving a lot "just in case", which kind of drains the momentum.

Which is a shame, because there's a lot that I've enjoyed so far too.  The social commentary is about as subtle as a Lasergewehr to the face, but I've definitely laughed out loud a few times at the game's more tongue in cheek excesses, and when the shooting's fun, it's a lot of fun.

I'm another one in the "glad I got it on sale" camp - but the "glad I got it" bit is still very much the case.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Thanks to the beautiful Stoph I'm playing this. Its cracking fun, from that opening, idiotic bit to just slaying Nazis and a batshit plot.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also the package it came in was labelled Intelligent Kebab Solutions, what a don

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!