Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus
  • It would be rude not to.

uoJrEKJ.jpg
  • Now I want to know what makes a Jo Malone candle special. Why does a candle need a name?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I needed something for scale there. The candle is wiiide.
  • Is the olive oil there for effect or is that part of the context for the original insult?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Uncle wax off to Body of Evidence and Popeye pass it on.
  • I’ve never played a Wolfenstein game but I’m enjoying this Jo Malone thread.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I needed something for scale there. The candle is wiiide.

Is that a 6l canister of oil though?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I wonder why people are relating to a nebulous others praise to counter Dino’s disgust? What is the stock of those others?

Is the visual of putting a gun in a kids hand to shoot a dog objectively thumbs up lads? I can see why it’s plausible someone would bounce off it when expecting a moon nazi game.

• raine it in long head
  • I wonder why people are relating to a nebulous others praise to counter Dino’s disgust? What is the stock of those others?

Is the visual of putting a gun in a kids hand to shoot a dog objectively thumbs up lads? I can see why it’s plausible someone would bounce off it when expecting a moon nazi game.
    I don't think anyone was saying it was a thumbs up lads moment, more that in the context of the narrative journey of the protagonist it makes sense. Of course it's horrible, but Dino was making a small judgement about an entire story based on a tiny fragment of it.

However, I have name brand candle here and some lube if you care to argue the point.
  • I recommend the eucalyptus one if you get round to it. It soothes the initial sting.
  • I haven’t seen it but from the description it feels like a thing one could easily bounce off with a hard reaction regardless of the wider story.

Also it felt like it was a few people being down on Dino in part because it’s easy to do so at the moment on here (or maybe whatever irritation is spilling) through the vehicle of standing up for a videogame.

I quite like Yankee candles. I had a pear one recently.
  • Midsummer Night is the one.
  • Crayon with some fair points.
  • I haven’t seen it but from the description it feels like a thing one could easily bounce off with a hard reaction regardless of the wider story.

Also it felt like it was a few people being down on Dino in part because it’s easy to do so at the moment on here (or maybe whatever irritation is spilling) through the vehicle of standing up for a videogame.

I quite like Yankee candles. I had a pear one recently.

I imagine that'll be initially quite easy to get up there, but increasingly difficult.
  • It's basically like watching the opening scene of American History X, watching Edward Norton curbstomp the black guy, then turning the film off and proclaying it's disgusting that anyone would make such a thing for entertainment. The scene is the opening to an entire game and builds to a key moment calling back to it. It's essentially the entire reason behind the main characters chosen path in life.

There is nothing to indicate it's 'fun' or the devs put it in for a laugh, it's presented in an extremely serious way.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yeah, the boss is a difficulty spike on that level.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    It's basically like watching the opening scene of American History X, watching Edward Norton curbstomp the black guy, then turning the film off and proclaying it's disgusting that anyone would make such a thing for entertainment. The scene is the opening to an entire game and builds to a key moment calling back to it. It's essentially the entire reason behind the main characters chosen path in life.

There is nothing to indicate it's 'fun' or the devs put it in for a laugh, it's presented in an extremely serious way.

Well yeah but I'd never tell someone they're wrong for feeling like they didn't want to continue after seeing the black guy curb stomped. I can get behind the notion that if you watch the whole film, it paints a different picture, but if you want out you want out.

I'd also hope those that want out would appreciate there may be nuance there and the whole film may speak more than they took, but still, I can't dictate how someone feels eh.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Fuck off, you.

*flounces*
  • nick_md wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    It's basically like watching the opening scene of American History X, watching Edward Norton curbstomp the black guy, then turning the film off and proclaying it's disgusting that anyone would make such a thing for entertainment. The scene is the opening to an entire game and builds to a key moment calling back to it. It's essentially the entire reason behind the main characters chosen path in life.

Well yeah but I'd never tell someone they're wrong for feeling like they didn't want to continue after seeing the black guy curb stomped. I can get behind the notion that if you watch the whole film, it paints a different picture, but if you want out you want out.

I'd also hope those that want out would appreciate there may be nuance there and the whole film may speak more than they took, but still, I can't dictate how someone feels eh.

Yeah I see what you're saying there.
  • This game just continues to deliver the goods - it's graphically stunning and the script and story are so much fun it's insane.

Been doing the assassination missions (which I didn't even realise was a thing) and have done the New Orleans level too - which is the first time in a long time that a SP game has truly thrilled me. Charging around on a Panzerhund burning Nazis alive is definitely my jam. So satisfying.

Onto Venus(!) and
    Spoiler:

I love this game. Sure, the AI is trash but it just makes it more satisfying to cut those fascists to ribbons.
  • Did you get the secret achievement...?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Did you get the secret achievement...?

No, I don't think so.

Edit: damnit, missed opportunity.
  • Fucking hell, the cutscenes in this are genius.
  • So this has been the most fun I've had in a FPS campaign for aaaages. Right up to the final battle, which is ludicrously hard and means I probably won't bother finishing it as I can't be arsed repeating the same but over and over and over.

A disappointing note to end on.
  • But it is amazing up till that point. So many brilliant cutscenes, dialogue and moments.
  • I think I dropped it right down to super easy for that boss? It’s worth seeing through.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!