Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Reading the Edge review, I can’t help but disagree with all the claims of this being too difficult and the hardest etc etc. There are some tough boss fights, but overall the game has been way easier than Soulsborne.
    The bits in between all the bosses are certainly easier, because you can control the situations much more. But because of that you get to the next difficult boss or mini-boss much quicker than you would have in a Souls game, and can then get stuck there for ages.

Even though some of the bosses in Souls are tough, you probably have a much more even difficulty overall. With Sekiro it's more stop-start and it's easier to remember the times you were stuck over the easy parts that went by in no time.
  • Also, all of the buffs are basically locked behind 1) either already being good or 2) beating a boss.

I can imagine myself beating this but only if I cared enough to put in time but I really don’t care for a game that doesn’t care that much for mine. It’s not hard in the sense that you need to be perfectly godly it’s hard in the way that it’s hard because you don’t know, but subsequently becomes noddy once you do (I imagine: based on beating a few of the mini bosses and half of LB, before I used up my one item that the game tells you is essential to best them)
  • I think the game could and should have been in development longer. The areas between bosses are quite small. You don't need to use 95% of the prosthetic addons at all.

My inventory is littered with items that I've never used or never needed to.

I also agree with the comment that someone I think it was JonB made many pages ago that the gourd and how you replenish your health seems outdated. Also not a fan of reserrection mechanic, it cheapens the game abit. The plague stuff feels underdeveloped as well.

OK I'm at the
    Spoiler:

So far it's a 8.5 out of 10 for me.
  • All games could do with being in development longer because all games have problems. No game is perfect. There aren’t any game breaking or major issues with Sekiro to warrant further prolonged development time. Just whether or not they wanted to or could have added some ‘accessibility’. 

You don’t need to use 95% of prosthetic tools but it helps if you do and certainly makes for a more enjoyable game. I used almost all of them, some more than others. And it’s less of a criticism/problem here anyway. 99% of weapons and items in the Dark Souls games were pointless.

Dunno about the gourd but I would’ve liked a different way of doing the spirit emblems. Instead of finite number in stock, just have another gourd-style reusable and refillable container thing. But then the emblems are in keeping with the game world I think.

Dragonrot was more a macguffin than an actual mechanic. So I’m not sure it needs developing. The unseen aid is what I felt was pointless. Although it did help me out one one or two occasions where I would’ve lamented losing my exp and money.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Reading the Edge review, I can’t help but disagree with all the claims of this being too difficult and the hardest etc etc. There are some tough boss fights, but overall the game has been way easier than Soulsborne.
    The bits in between all the bosses are certainly easier, because you can control the situations much more. But because of that you get to the next difficult boss or mini-boss much quicker than you would have in a Souls game, and can then get stuck there for ages. Even though some of the bosses in Souls are tough, you probably have a much more even difficulty overall. With Sekiro it's more stop-start and it's easier to remember the times you were stuck over the easy parts that went by in no time.

I probably don’t see that as much of an issue as I love boss battles and want them to be tough and a true test (redoing phases is a bit much sometimes though). Maybe it’s just me but I did spend a lot of time exploring and really scouring the areas so didn’t quite feel like that for me, I was taking it slow.
  • before I used up my one item that the game tells you is essential to best them

It's not required. It doesn't say they're essential either, from memory.

As for Sekiro not having a sense of dread... it isn't supposed to, that's not what the fiction of the world is about. The stuff about prosthetics not being required doesn't really cause me any issues either, as I wrote in my article it's all about adding flourishes to the combat to enjoy yourself. If any of them were totally necessary, they'd have to be doled out like Zelda quest items. Instead they're just there for flavour and to widen the pool of techniques at your disposal. You can always take these arguments down paths of redundancy in any game, as you can always just not use any items you are given and stick with the basic abilities, but that isn't why games are fun.

Fer example you never need to use the firecracker, flame vent, spear or umbrella against the Guardian, but doing so is fun, gives you new opportunities to explore in that fight.
  • The man who gives it to you says something like “you better not try to fight without this thing!!” So yeah probably not essential essential but essential enough that the game tells you not to bother without the thing.
  • He’s also a total jobber and you’re an immortal shinobi. I can tell you that it isn’t essential, I found out by trying without it.
  • If you're familiar with From games, you know when someone hands you a single-use item before a boss you should probably do without it. But it's a confusing way of doing things all the same.

The info you get should be more like 'if you're having trouble, this might help' and it really should give you a few of them. When you go into that fight you don't even know exactly what the guy was on about or what the illusions look like. And then you don't even encounter them until you reach the second part of the fight.

I think it's one of the many ways the game actually tries to be more accessible than previous From games, but makes a mess of it.
  • So I’m mopping stuff up before heading to NG+, found more carp scales and another prayer bead, bought lots of items and spent my money (have all carp scale items now) and went back to get some more rice...

Wondering now whether I need to hang around and try out my new found key item. 

Also I could’ve used another key item. @Tempy, no spoilers please just gentle nudge or hint but should I (re rice)
    Spoiler:
  • I still don’t know what the hearts do.
  • Tempy wrote:
    He’s also a total jobber and you’re an immortal shinobi. I can tell you that it isn’t essential, I found out by trying without it.

They should have put you in the game.

In a game of deflations it didn’t need textual discouragement. I’m sure I would have tried again if I also didn’t need to go through the palaver of the first half again just to see what I had to do.
  • I dunno i think you can work out the context that the game presents you quit easily, as ever I think the reputation of the game overtakes how it presents itself, or at least the attitude you can have to it
  • I think that can go both ways. If I had any interest in the reputation or surrounding FromSoftware stuff I might have got that the cryptic advice was merely advisory. In terms Of my own context wherever there was specific help I used it with success - the special spear counter and the helpful man before a drunkard -so there was little to dissuade me the game was was dishonest. I wasn’t really in a mind set to play around or experiment after struggling to get half way (I’m kind of glad I was informed there was a half way point, because that boss also decided to change the formula for that too).

• It will be interesting to see what FromSoftware's new game will be and whether Activision as publisher will push them down the making it more "accessible" route.

It good that the game has resonated so strongly with some folk on the forum. However it is definitely a marmite game, probably their most marmite game ever.
  • NG+ is delightful so far. A bit too easy, but NG++ will no doubt prove to be more challenging. I remember blitzing through Bloodborne on NG+ and ++ too but got stuck on +++.

It’s great reading and seeing things that make more sense now. Cos either I missed first time or forget things from the beginning by the end of the playthrough. For example the Sculptor talking about flames and other stuff and you think aaaaahhhh
  • If you go over to ++ It’s worth abandoning Kuro’s charm
  • On a whim I decided to have another go at the final boss. About 10 tries and I can pretty much do the first 2 phases every time. Sometimes I barely take a hit. And I sort of know what I want to do on phase 3, but just need to figure it out some more. It's infuriating that I can't just practice that phase without doing the others over and over. And then there's phase 4 of course. I know it's kind of similar but it's still going to take some figuring out. I could easily give up again.
  • I think I did phase 4 on second try. It’s phase 2 that took a while to learn the attacks as well then phase 3.
  • He's only got... one new attack in the last phase I think? Maybe two but they're basically the same attack.
  • Yeah that would be why! One of those new attacks you use to your advantage too!

On NG+, shoulda done CM before GApe. Being blocked now. Should be ok. Beat most bosses and mini bosses first time, but died a few on GA even this time.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Lightning reversal, the gift that keeps on giving.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • There. I fucking did it. OK? Screw you, Sekiro.
  • Yaaaaaayy!
  • Now tell me that wasn’t epic and exhilarating?!
  • It's great when you know how to do it. But I had to resort to watching a video of someone else doing it to sort out the second half of the fight. I'd love to work it all out myself, but having to do it all every time spoils that. It's hard to experiment with tactics on the 3rd phase when you know a mistake could set you back to the start.

I also have an injury now - Sekiro finger. It's the left index finger from holding and pressing the block button so much. It's actually a bit swollen.
  • I get that in some games.
  • Finished up some other bits today. Realised I'd missed a few prayer beads and could raise my health a bit more. Got some more scales, then decided I should do DoH. Watched a video of it and it only took 3 or 4 attempts after. Quite a tedious fight really - no need for it to last that long. But at least it didn't involve much use of the left shoulder buttons.
  • I’ve got 2 beads and missing 2 boss trophies... so maybe I’m on way to maxing. Not sure who the bosses are but might have to do with different endings. 

Currently in my way to CM then back to castle.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Finished up some other bits today. Realised I'd missed a few prayer beads and could raise my health a bit more. Got some more scales, then decided I should do DoH. Watched a video of it and it only took 3 or 4 attempts after. Quite a tedious fight really - no need for it to last that long. But at least it didn't involve much use of the left shoulder buttons.

Agreed; DoH feels like some leftover Souls boss. Nice bit of lore and narrative surrounding him though.

hylian_elf wrote:
    I’ve got 2 beads and missing 2 boss trophies... so maybe I’m on way to maxing. Not sure who the bosses are but might have to do with different endings.

You have the right idea.
    It's a world of truck drivers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!