The Apple Thread
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Apple aren’t particularly strict about cookies at all, they pretty much use the standard ‘accept from sites I visit’ unless you’ve been fiddling with the settings.
    This site uses Maryland Cookies tho, so I guess that might be the problem.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I used to pronounce those 'Marryland' as in Baltimore, Maryland because they're American and I'm super smart so I know how it's properly pronounced. Then I saw an advert where they said it Mary as in Mary, then I found out the company that makes them is English. Now I refuse to eat them as each bite is like having my own pretentiousness shoved down my throat.
  • monkey wrote:
    I used to pronounce those 'Marryland' as in Baltimore, Maryland because they're American and I'm super smart so I know how it's properly pronounced. Then I saw an advert where they said it Mary as in Mary, then I found out the company that makes them is English. Now I refuse to eat them as each bite is like having my own pretentiousness shoved down my throat.

You can't escape your cookie shame.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
  • My mate was showing me his iPhone 11 Pro last night. Nice bit of kit, except he can’t get wi-fi to switch on, and Bluetooth switches itself off after a few seconds, so he can’t link it to his AirPods, or his car, or pretty much anything right now.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yeah but I’m sitting on my sofa just trying stuff out and don’t really want to prop up my phone. I think I’d use a controller on the iPad once it’s updated.

Best way to play it. PS4 controller and iPad and it's a superb title. I found the controls to be way off on mobile.
  • Airplay question. There appear to be apps that say they let you use Airplay on the Play Store.

Could this be used to send stuff from an iOS device to an Android TV/Fire stick? Or are they just trash?
  • So, tried a few Apple Arcade titles. I really think Apple have knocked it out of the park with this.

Played so far:

Sayonora Wild Hearts - Works best on iPad with a controller.
    Mini Motorways - Improves on Mini Metro. Probably my fave so far. Just needs a couple of tweaks and it's perfect.
    Bleak Sword - Roguelike Dark Soulsy 8 bit thing. Works really well on iPhone because the control scheme is extremely well thought out.
    What The Golf - Funny meta-golf piss-take. Good one to show your pals.

Tried a couple of duds too, but so far so great.
  • Airplay question. There appear to be apps that say they let you use Airplay on the Play Store. Could this be used to send stuff from an iOS device to an Android TV/Fire stick? Or are they just trash?

Not 100% sure, but if it is anything like Airdrop it's Apple to Apple. Airplay may be more versatile, though, as it has wider implementations. 

That's not very helpful, sorry.
  • Airplay question. There appear to be apps that say they let you use Airplay on the Play Store.

Could this be used to send stuff from an iOS device to an Android TV/Fire stick? Or are they just trash?

I would also like to know this, and whether there’s owt on nvidia shield to make it work.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Airplay question. There appear to be apps that say they let you use Airplay on the Play Store. Could this be used to send stuff from an iOS device to an Android TV/Fire stick? Or are they just trash?

Not 100% sure, but if it is anything like Airdrop it's Apple to Apple. Airplay may be more versatile, though, as it has wider implementations. 

That's not very helpful, sorry.

They’re opening up AirPlay. I can now throw stuff from my iPhone and iPad to my Samsung TV.
  • Andy wrote:
    Airplay question. There appear to be apps that say they let you use Airplay on the Play Store. Could this be used to send stuff from an iOS device to an Android TV/Fire stick? Or are they just trash?
    Not 100% sure, but if it is anything like Airdrop it's Apple to Apple. Airplay may be more versatile, though, as it has wider implementations.  That's not very helpful, sorry.
    They’re opening up AirPlay. I can now throw stuff from my iPhone and iPad to my Samsung TV.

Ah that's cool. Wasn't 100 sure as they'd talked about opening up a few of their proprietary things over the years and never did (hello, Facetime). Airplay makes sense, though.
  • Yeah, our Samsung TV now has it, but that's official (and also built in rather than an app), was wondering if these slightly less reputable apps might work.
  • I just re-read your question. How are you going to get an app on the Play store onto an iOS device? Or am I missing something?
  • The app goes on the stick/TV. Durr.
  • I followed Andy’s advice and slung a shiny new iPhone 11 on my 0% finance card.

Regards, Temp.y

Posted from my iPhone 11
  • I have complaints to make about iOS 13.

Firstly this is the second time I’ve typed this post. The first one was lost because some stray swipe or something set something off, some other screen came up and I ended up going to page 309 of this thread. I don’t know what happened or how to stop it happening again.

Private browsing mode used to be dark and normal was white. Now they’re both white apart from private has a black address bar. Or they’re both dark in dark mode. Now I end up having to double check I’m in private mode all the time. What am I doing in private mode so much? That’s.....private.

Dark mode is piss.

Searching for a word on a web page has gone. It’s gone. You can’t do it anymore. Or if you can it’s been moved somewhere.

Mainly though the text selection is insanely fucked. It keeps going wrong. Options just not coming up, not being able to wiggle the selection lines where you want. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it just doesn’t work at all.

I experienced my first old man “why do they have to keep bloody changing things?” with this upgrade.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Find on page is found by swiping up on the options presented by the share icon.

I’m liking dark mode myself. And I haven’t found myself jumping to random pages in threads yet.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only thing that’s annoying me at the moment is the speed of a long press is too quick. I keep on opening previews of links when trying to scroll through pages. Other than that, I’m finding it decent.

Not even having particular issues with text selection. Well, nothing worse than I had on iOS 12.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Find on page is found by swiping up on the options presented by the share icon.

Ah cheers. I think that’s probably less fiddly than the original. Some of it is just that it’s different and that’s not really welcome. I genuinely think that text selection is properly buggy though and they’ll have to do a load of patches.
  • I find making all emails as read more annoying now.
  • I mean text selection has never really worked nicely anyway has it? It’s always been hit n miss.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The only thing that’s annoying me at the moment is the speed of a long press is too quick. I keep on opening previews of links when trying to scroll through pages. Other than that, I’m finding it decent.

Not even having particular issues with text selection. Well, nothing worse than I had on iOS 12.

That was annoying me too:

Under Settings > Accessibility > Touch > 3D Haptic Touch > Touch Duration, set to slow.

Things can only get better.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ooh ta!
  • They probably changed it because they want no one to have 3D Touch
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But killing it off has been generally a good move for the majority. And battery life on the 11 pro has increased by 4 hours as there’s more room for more battery.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    A bit of a random addition to this thread, but it's a really old Playboy interview with Steve Jobs.
    http://reprints.longform.org/playboy-interview-steve-jobs

It's a strange read.

As a taster:
    Steve Jobs wrote:
    The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it into a nationwide communications network. We’re just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people—as remarkable as the telephone.

That was in 1985, but still a deep answer...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • "Computers are destined to become interactive intellectual amplifiers for everyone in the world universally networked worldwide."
    - J.C.R. Licklider, 1960

We're not there yet...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Replace ‘intellectual’ with ‘id’ and maybe we are.
  • Aye and it's more than a little dystopian.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!