The Apple Thread
  • I have but I want to use it to put Zwift on to an old TV in the garage so I can use my turbo trainer. Thanks
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Praise be! There's finally a new iPhone SE coming this month!

_111804912_apple_new-iphone-se-black-camera-and-touch-id_04152020.jpg

Going to be a bargain-tastic £419 in the UK.
    Some details here.

sold!

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s a great deal. Having the same processor as the 11 Pro it’s gonna be night and day difference to apps and generally just using it if you are coming from an SE.
  • Pricing breakdown...

pPi07si.png
  • They're going to sell a shitload of these things.
  • Yeah that’s a really good deal.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They certainly know how to design a product page. This is top tier modern web design

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-se/

And 13 hrs battery life!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    It's lost its small. That was the main appeal for me.
  • Absolutely. I don't mind the size of the 8 tbh. It's probably the upper size limit for me. More annoyed about the lack of headphone jack, but hey, that's the world we live in no I guess.
  • Ugh. I was keen on that phone until the headphone revelation. I'm just hanging onto my 6s until the bitter end now.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Apple started it but all phones are going that way. It does help them sell AirPods but it also helps the waterproofing.
  • I want to grab headphones as and when, not have another bloody thing to worry about charging. I know it's a lost battle but I'll stay here on this hill, holding out with my sad old man wires poking out of my ears.
  • I'm tempted to get my wife an iphone but a 6s is the latest I can get due to headphone socket.

Simlarly, my work keep pestering me to replace my 6 with an XS (or something like that) - nope.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah I get it (owner of AirPods cough) but in my experience they do last a bloody long time and the wireless charging makes a big difference to that. I’ve got used to getting in and just dropping them onto a charge pad.
  • My headphones go in a pot near the door. But that's very different. 

Somehow.
  • I realise dongles are far from ideal, but if you have a preferred set of go-to headphones, can't you just leave the lightning-3.5mm dongle on the end of the headphone cable?
  • I don’t give a shit about headphones any more. I haven’t used any in years. I guess this is what happens when you no longer have a commute, or even a walk, to work (or at least one that isn’t long enough to want to listen to anything).

I’d rather it was smaller, but it’s very nice. I don’t need an upgrade right now but when I do, this is likely to be the one.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I realise dongles are far from ideal, but if you have a preferred set of go-to headphones, can't you just leave the lightning-3.5mm dongle on the end of the headphone cable?
    I'm sure I could adapt and it wouldn't be very painful. My current phone has a jack, that's all. I'd prefer the choioce. I've picked up enough wired headphones now to last me for the rest of my life. A couple of them are quite decent quality.

I'm also in the camp that prefers small screens. I could go back to a 3G size screen now happily.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And as this is wireless it doesn't matter if you use the charge por for headphones, just drop it on a pad at the end of the day.
  • While this threads bumped, I hadn't realised how rotten the iOS game scene had become. 

We're incentivising the sprog to behave during lockdown with iPad game time. So I've been ploughing through my old purchases and re-downloading them, having not really touched iOS gaming in years. Games I've previously bought and paid for are now crammed with ads. Not just pop ups but 30 seconds, full screen video overlays, or some interactive bollocks. 

Cut the Rope which I probably bought for £4 or something, now seems to have about 10 different spin offs, keeps hitting me up for some £10 a month subscription to all it's games, and is stuffed to the brim with ads. A 30 second one seems to come up between each level or two. Some game ad keeps coming up, and if you even touch it, it then launches into the app store to try and get you to install the full game, then that game wants access to your data to install, then starts continually nudging you for money pretty quickly after. Cut the Rope is now unplayable. 

Bear in mind this is a 6 year old girl operating this device. In the past, you could at least chuck a few quid at the game to get the full fat ad-free version and it would then leave you alone. The scene is grim.
  • The free trial and subsequent subscription to Apple Arcade has been very useful for this. No ads at all, all the games full-fat, and decent value for a large range of interesting and varied games. There are regular additions too, and the space is well-curated so it's easy to find age-appropriate content.

Subs aren't for everyone, but this one works for us.
  • Might be worth considering Apple Arcade? It is 5 a month but no in app purchases or ads at all.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep if someone plays Apple Games in your family Arcade is the way. I didn’t play it enough (too many bloody choices of machines) but if I was just on a phone/pad then Arcade is quality.
  • I had the free trial of that recently and played What the Golf. The service seems fine but the games there don't seem to have quite the same simplicity as the early iOS games. Where's my water, Cut the Rope, Plants V zombies and Fruit Ninja would be pretty much perfect for her. Well, by that I mean they would be perfect for her to be left on her own with for half an hours peace and quiet. Actually PvZ and Fruit Ninja are still ad free I think.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    PvZ and PvZ 2 are amazing. If you want quality paid for stuff then get all The Room games. Perfect iPad games that I still play every now and again. Some of them may be free now.

Edit - though actually may be too creepy/difficult depending on age of said sprog.
  • Yeah she's 6. She has to play PvZ with the sound turned down because it's too scary so that's what I'm dealing with here.
  • :)
  • Yeah I like the new SE and I’m tempted to get one and sell the S10e. Of course it makes you wonder how or why the iPhone 8 was so expensive...

Regards to headphone jacks - dongle. Sorted. It’s really not a big deal. I however have a Sony Walkman, which frees me up not to worry about such things.

x
  • Have you read the comments on Apple store about the dongle? Tells you all you need to know - and some of those of full-on indoctrinated Apple'ites.
  • Do you mean in the q&a part?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!