The Apple Thread
  • I'm referring to the reviews for the dongle in the Apple store.

Ok, just had a look. Apple, in their wisdom, seemed to have removed the reviews. There were 100s of scathing reviews about how rubbish the dongle is, that it's easy to lose, breaks all the time, with people having had to buy multiple of them over time.

My daughter's died - doesn't say a lot as she could kill a brick, but still.
  • Wife has jumped off the good ship android and ordered an SE this aft.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Easy to lose? It sits on the end of your headphone jack?!

Personally, I’ve never been impressed with the sound quality of an iPhone anyway, so I don’t want to come across as some kind of fan boy. Dongles also come with most Android phones now too and really, the world hasn’t ended.

I’m happy that I chose to separate my offline music from my phone. Saves all this hassle :)

x
  • Not all of us have functioning Walkmen though.
  • NW-A45 models that only play local music can be had for £90 off eBay and are well worth it (in my opinion)

x
  • Save a couple of millimeters of phone thickness to buy and carry around a £90 MP3 player.

We are going backwards.
  • I'm merely suggesting an alternative to those who don't like a dongle living on the end of their headphone jack.
  • A phone with a headphone jack?
  • Oh I'm sorry I thought this was the Apple thread.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Save a couple of millimeters of phone thickness to buy and carry around a £90 MP3 player.

We are going backwards.

Something to be said for not having your music interrupted by calls, texts and notifications.

SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Save a couple of millimeters of phone thickness to buy and carry around a £90 MP3 player.

We are going backwards.

Something to be said for not having your music interrupted by calls, texts and notifications.

Just put your phone in Airplane mode.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • But not full airplane mode!
  • You need the official Apple Airplane Mode dongle for that.
  • Talking about dongles, I bought a cheap iPad hdmi adapter.

The problem I have is that the picture from my iPad ( no matter which tv I connect it to) the picture is zoomed in and the sides, top and bottom are missing some of the picture but when I connect my iPhone it’s a perfect fit. Any ideas why my iPad is zoomed in ? And no, changing the aspect ratio on the tv shows no difference.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Save a couple of millimeters of phone thickness to buy and carry around a £90 MP3 player. We are going backwards.
    Just put your phone in Airplane mode.

Yeah, but then your phone is cut off. 

I'm sure there's settings and all, but I kinda like the idea of a standalone mp3 player again. No spotify stuff, just some tunes ripped from a cd.

*looks at side of laptop*

Oh, shits.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Surely music only gets interrupted for calls. Not sure why it would be interrupted for texts and other notifications which can be silent.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Talking about dongles, I bought a cheap iPad hdmi adapter. The problem I have is that the picture from my iPad ( no matter which tv I connect it to) the picture is zoomed in and the sides, top and bottom are missing some of the picture but when I connect my iPhone it’s a perfect fit. Any ideas why my iPad is zoomed in ? And no, changing the aspect ratio on the tv shows no difference.

A quick look suggests that it's down to the aspect ratio of the iPad compared to an iPhone. I haven't been able to find out why it cuts down rather than borders though. Does it do it within an app like YouTube or something where the video file isn't locked to the iPads aspect ratio?
  • Ok, you must be able to do it, because this prick says he did it, but doesn't mention at all how.

Which iPad is it that you have?
  • Judging by the youtube pic it appears to be some form of spiritual medium technique.
    "Guide me Sam"
    "I'm hearing something.... they are saying... calculator"
  • Heh, that would have been much better. It's one of those early YouTube guy does shit in one take without practicing to make sure he can do what he wants to do.

I suspect that it's jailbroken, based on the only ways I've actually found to do it, although this is from the first few weeks of release for it, and I don't know how quickly iOS gets cracked. Assuming it's too early for that business, then there is a way that our spirit walker knows, but dare not share.
  • Heh, that would have been much better. It's one of those early YouTube guy does shit in one take without practicing to make sure he can do what he wants to do.

I suspect that it's jailbroken, based on the only ways I've actually found to do it, although this is from the first few weeks of release for it, and I don't know how quickly iOS gets cracked. Assuming it's too early for that business, then there is a way that our spirit walker knows, but dare not share.

Cheers Dante, I’ve found something about tapping the screen twice with 3 fingers each time sort it out. I’ll find out later when I go on the turbo trainer.

6BsfYDx.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s an accessibility feature but should apply to your iPad too but just the connected screens. You can find out if it is on in settings > accessibility.

Easiest way to find stuff in settings it to go in pull down and search for what you want I.e. zoom.
  • Probably not zoomed then. All I’ve seen whilst googling is people moaning about boarders on the side, where as mine cuts bits off
  • I’ve since found out it overscan which you an address on Apple TV and Mac’s but I can’t find anything for iPads - typical.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought it might be overscan as I had that issue on Apple TV, but it is just a setting change.

Don’t know if this helps, but this app helps with second monitor support. I’ve been thinking of buying it to support my iPad usage, it’s £4.99. You’ll probably be best to see if you can contact the dev before spending (not sure what the App Store return policy is).

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/shiftscreen/id1498683180
  • hi, i'm planning on getting the new 12.9 ipad pro, the new keyboard, pen and also some of the in ear headphones. So i'm going to be dropping about £1700, is there anywhere where i could get a discount for buying so much?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Depending on your work there can be schemes that have a discount for Apple stuff. I think the Royal Mail has a works based discount scheme which includes Apple. Sorry if it’s a bit vague but it might be worth looking into that kind of thing if you know the kind of thing I’m talking about (it’s usually discount insurance or crap like that)
  • No third-party supplier discounts Apple stuff unless you are a company buying tonnes. 
    I got a couple of hundred off my new iMac via a work discount scheme. 
    The only other ways are self employed tax rite off or student discounts if they still do them.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    hi, i'm planning on getting the new 12.9 ipad pro, the new keyboard, pen and also some of the in ear headphones. So i'm going to be dropping about £1700, is there anywhere where i could get a discount for buying so much?

Not a discount, but get yourself a membership to BA Store. If you shop through their affiliate link to the Apple store you’ll get 7 points for every 1 you spend, so you are gonna get about 10,000 (it’s the pre-VAT price), which will get you a return flight to Europe (once Lockdown is over). If you also sign up to the BA Amex card and spend on that as well, you’ll get even more, around 7,000.

The keyboard is great btw. Yes, it’s heavy (more than the iPad) but best thing Apple have done in a while and I’m one or two apps away from not needing a MacBook Pro for the first time in years. I’ve now got a computer that does last more than all day, no fans and faster than my work machine.
  • The keyboard is very nice but is heavy enough that I think I’ll keep my previous one too for going out and about with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!