The Apple Thread
  • If only I could put into words the extent of my gf's screenshotting/storage problems. It's excruciatingly annoying.
  • One of the easiest things to do is scan through and look for black/single colour images. I found loads.

Then screenshots. You do not need any of those screenshots anymore. They served their purpose within minutes of being taken.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    It’s here. Very nice.

Impressions? You hooked up a mouse or trackpad?

I haven’t done either mate, because I’m a sucker for the pencil - and all I’ve done is used that.

I had a 2016 Pro and I have to be careful to be too over the top here, because there’s nothing really that I’ve done so far, that I wouldn’t be able to do on that.

However, it’s a lovely thing. The integration of the pencil into the Pad via the magnetic charging port is awesome and a much better solution that the old weird aerial way of charging on the older unit.

I also like the folio keyboard, but I had (or have) a Logitech one for the 2016 model and the keys on that are way better. I knew that going into the purchase though, as I wanted more of a case that was also keyboard, rather than a keyboard that doubles as a case.

No regrets at all.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cool. Glad you are enjoying it. Have to admit switching to this Pro (2018 model) vs the old the new pencil is just a perfect implementation.

The magic keyboard case on I now treat the tablet differently. I now use it as a laptop that if I want I just whip the tablet off and use it to draw or take notes on. The cursor integration is very well done. Some apps obviously have to now update to take advantage of how the cursor can change shape depending on context but it’s a great idea.

Right now, beyond my work MacBook Air I can’t see me needing to use a real laptop again.
  • I don't think you need iTunes for photos. I believe that one of the few things you can actually drag and drop.

x
  • Is there any way yet of changing the metadata of songs just in iOS? I’m still having to keep my MacBook around for that.
  • I have a wife whose good to uesless photo ratio is about 1:6. There is no point in me trying to teach her discipline and delete the crap ones at the time.

So yes, there is a load of rubbish that isn't needed. But I'm not cleaning it up.
  • I’d forgotten I’d get a year’s free Apple TV with my new iPhone so I had another look - still almost nothing appealing. The Beastie Boys film was good though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep Apple dropping Intel. Would love to see the effect on Intel’s share price. With AMD chips coming to more PC laptops Intel are getting squeezed on both platforms.
  • They didn’t announce any news Macs but during the ‘Apple silicon’ bit at the end they seemed to show loads of new chunky iMacs with holes on the back like the new Mac Pro towers?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Thats the new Cinema Display. Been out a while. Costs about £5k
  • Ah, scrap that then. My bad. Too eager for a new iMac for music making.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Next years your year mate. All those new chips. Cooler systems. Able to run iPad and iPhone apps natively on them too.
  • Bet they still don’t put touchscreens in their laptops though.
  • Would appreciate my Moog iPad apps working direct on my Mac instead of plugging my iPad in and doing the annoying audio centre switch thing.
  • Moore's law is dead so it was only a matter of time before Apple dropped them. Apple's Arm chips are overlapping/surpassing Intel's core lineup so they might as well make the switch.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • So Apple have basically dropped the idea of tightly controlled (and therefore simple) user interfaces now, right? Everything is to be customisable, widget-enabled, and messy.
  • :(
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They're copying Android, lol.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • poprock wrote:
    So Apple have basically dropped the idea of tightly controlled (and therefore simple) user interfaces now, right? Everything is to be customisable, widget-enabled, and messy.

As with Android, it’s as messy as... you want it to be?

x

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Always beneficial to have a choice.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • After recently coming back from android I hope they don't go too far down that road.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • poprock wrote:
    So Apple have basically dropped the idea of tightly controlled (and therefore simple) user interfaces now, right? Everything is to be customisable, widget-enabled, and messy.

As long as it comes through their store, it seems yes. It’s getting harder and harder to use non-App Store software in recent updates, and good services that don’t use IAP are being rejected more often.

Apple are getting real shitty. Just bought a new computer to replace my old MacBook Air and went surface pro.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Always beneficial to have a choice.

This.

The old Android vs iOS debates are becoming a bit pointless as both platforms are very close UI wise. Your choice should probably be on specific features (e.g. camera) or the ecosystem vs non-ecosystem approach you like to take.
  • Chaps some advice please. Wife wants an ipad air (latest model). Is there a newer one being released this year?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Outside the Pro the new standard iPad gets the best reviews in tech press. I haven’t kept up on the release dates for a while but Macrumors buying guide is a good place to start. I’d at least wait until September event.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Get a Surface Book 3 and thank me later.

Though the battery on my SB2 seems to have been holding less charge than I would like...
  • Just realised this is the Apple thread but they are whack nowadays so do what I said anyway. Thumbs up!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    SB3 starting from £1600?? Lol

• b0r1s wrote:
    Outside the Pro the new standard iPad gets the best reviews in tech press. I haven’t kept up on the release dates for a while but Macrumors buying guide is a good place to start. I’d at least wait until September event. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
    iPads are often announced at the the September event. 
    This is sound advice
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!