The Last Jedi & Episode 9 - Discussion and SPOILERS (that means stay out if you have not seen it)
  • I was looking for the kid with the broom but I didn't see him move it with the force.

At the end? I thought it was clear on my second viewing too. Broom moves towards his hand.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I wouldn't be surprised if Spoke was the big bad of the upcoming TV animation set between ROTJ and TFA.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I was looking for the kid with the broom but I didn't see him move it with the force.
    At the end? I thought it was clear on my second viewing too. Broom moves towards his hand.

Yep, definitely.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I was looking for the kid with the broom but I didn't see him move it with the force.

Yep, definitely.

100%. Another awful part of the film.

• Definitely moved, dunno why that's any sillier than anything else.  Didn't mind it myself.
  • Thought it was unnecessary. Treating your audience like idiots. We were already told during the film it's not a Jedi only trait to be able to use Force powers (well).
  • I just had to go and read who Darth Plagueis is, having no recollection of ever hearing about him, and I still couldn’t care less. The whole thing reeks of the nerdy need to lore the fuck out of every insignificant detail in a franchise. What a load of dull, uninteresting bullshit.

Ram, your paranoid theory is nuts. There are echoes of the past, but it’s not a remake. Out of interest, though, how do you feel they’ve changed Luke?

Rev, the broom thing is blink-and-you’ll-miss-it. The broom is resting against a wall, the boy reaches to grab it, and it comes part way to meet his hand. It moves maybe a foot at most. I don’t see it as treating the audience like idiots; it’s just following the cinematic rule of show, don’t tell.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Thought it was unnecessary. Treating your audience like idiots. We were already told during the film it's not a Jedi only trait to be able to use Force powers (well).

I took that whole sequence as an attempt to give a hopeful ending on what would otherwise have been a bit of a downer.  Luke's death wasn't in vain as it has inspired a new generation of potential resistance fighters (thanks in part as well to Finn/Rose's influence), and the jedi/light side of the force is once more in the ascendant.  

The using force on the broom struck me as being quite a nice subtle nod.  (As was the switching from one to two suns during Luke's death scene.)

That said, I was slightly irritated by the schmaltzy space orphans in general, but that's just because I'm a miserable sod.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @adkm Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise... ?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • That same music when Palpatine mentions him is always playing when Snoke is on screen.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m with Andy on the whole Snoke thing. I think it was good that they did something different to what you would expect to happen.

I also think it is pretty much the ideology that the young are killing the old as that is what needs to happen to the films for Disney to be able to move on. The Skywalker arc needs to die.
  • If Snoke is Plagueis it's fucking stupid, because how would Palpatine ever have taken his place? What scenario possibly happens where Palpy leaves him alive given that Snoke was built up and is shown to be stupidly powerful. Apart from sensing lightsabers moving right next to him I guess.

Snoke just needed to stay in the background, in charge but distant, trying to manipulate Kylo Ren into becoming his own personal jedi attack dog. He didn't even need the force, he could have just been someone who had some idea about jedi training he picked up somewhere and was trying to train up Ren. Doing a shit job of it cos he had no real idea, becoming increasingly frustrated in Kylo not meetinghis expectations and feeding back into Kylo Rens ever furthering internal conflict between his own failure to live up to his image of Vader. Eventually Ren overcomes his conflict with the help of Luke and maybe both Ren and Rey team up and take down literally errbody to get to Snoke at the end of Episode 9. Luke goes along and you can have him going out in style doing something noble.

SEE THIS SHIT WRITES ITSELF. PUT ME IN COACH STAR WARS IS NOT HARD TO WRITE HOW ARE THESE GUYS FUCKING IT UP SO BAD!?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Smoke must be really good at cunnilingus
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    That same music when Palpatine mentions him is always playing when Snoke is on screen.

ORLY?
    Interesting...
  • @Andy obviously not scene for scene remakes, but for me they feel a lot like someone re-writing the originals rather than sequels that tell a new story...and they're actually better if treated like that.

I'm not sure how you would need it explained that Luke has changed, so I assume you're teasing or trying to catch me out. Still, I'll bite.
    Yes, 30 years have passed so he would change, perhaps wiser, change of views perhaps. But there is nowhere near enough explanation or justification for the complete change in personality, ideals and ultimately compassion for those dearest to him.
    He's changed into a person that considers murdering his nephew in cold blood out of fear. He basically creates Kylo Ren, then goes into hiding. He refuses to help, even to return in person, as his sister begs him to, whilst a new evil force destroys everything he previously fought for.

Subverting things for the sake of it is not interesting narrative. Why not go the whole hog and decide that Luke is actually a kiddy-fiddler, that's what was going on in his school?  That's why Ben got evil, that's why he killed everyone to end their shame, and he's wracked with guilt and hurt. There's a new interesting narrative that subverts everything, and adds layers of social commentary and questions the idolisation of heroes into the mix.

And it's not just that this a 'pacifist' Luke rather than a gung ho hero. He's not even brave about it...he's not the protester standing in front of a tank in Tienanmen square....he stays in hiding, avoiding the problems he caused, he pretends he's standing in front of the tank for a minute, then kills himself.

Even without the baggage of Luke, what he means to me as the hero of this series. What does he achieve as a character, a major plot point in these two films? He gives Rey some half-arsed teaching, he allows some call backs to the original movies, then he tricks Kylo Ren for 2 minutes whilst the rebels sneak out the back door. How many good people died trying to find him, to keep his location from the New Order? In hindsight, the resistance would have been better off giving them the map...he's just a grumpy old man that won't help regardless, and Kylo flying all the way there would have wasted much more of his time than Luke teasing him for 2 minutes during a battle.

Everything that the 'Luke' character does in these movies would have been better, and much more believable, if he wasn't called Luke. If he was just a mysterious old Jedi Master, perhaps called Yoda, that had passed into legend and lived on some uncharted planet. Someone that our hero could seek out in the second movie of a trilogy, to get a bit of teaching and philosophy. Which brings us back to my 'rewrites disguised as sequels' theory.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Im with Ram (who has spelled it out very nicely). Luke goes from being a teacher attempting to restart the Jedi order to considering killing his nephew because he sensed the dark in him and then running off like a sulky child to hide leaving a right old mess behind.
    I do think his death was in vain tbh. He an xwing, he could have fucked off and joined up with Rey and helped the resistance out to die in a glorius battle at a later point.

It suits the new trilogy to kill off the old heores sure, I don't think it made much sense in terms of the universe.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Member when Luke thought he could talk his dad round to being good?

Y'know? His Dad? The second most evil guy in the galaxy?

Things like that are why this film is a joke. +1 for Rams sentiments. Luke should have been using the force directly and lightsabering as a last resort guy. Like Yoda taught him in Empire before they ruined Yoda in the prequ....

Oh my god...

It's like poetry? They rhyme?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The Luke stuff worked ok for me. I don’t see any discrepancy between the guy who tried to talk Vader round and him nearly killing Kylo Ren. It was a moment of weakness, he felt so bad he exiled himself and closed off from the force. He did kick Vader’s arse in rage in ROTJ.
  • Prolly saw the Dark side in himself too when he almost killed him. Got scared.
  • I don’t know which original trilogy you guys watched, but Luke has always, always, always been a whiny, petulant, arrogant, scared little know-it-all. His going into hiding is a) exactly what the Luke of ESB and RotJ would do; and b) not dissimilar to what Yoda did. Yes, he tried to convert Vader, but he also went into a red-mist-rage and tried to kill him. He’s seen what the dark side did to his dad, and nearly did to him, so of course angry, scared little Luke shat the bed when he saw the same darkness in his nephew.

He hasn’t changed at all.
  • meh I need to rewatch the og trilogy. its been you long, right you may be, remember I cannot.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • You know what I could have bought as a good reason for Luke being where he was?
    Snoke. Imagine if the power of Snoke was such that he had duped Luke and Ben.
    Luke wasn't in hiding cos he thought about killing Ben, he was in hiding cos he thought he had killed him.
    And Ben killed everyone cos Snoke made him think Luke and the other students wanted to kill him, because he was 'too weak for the family line', and that Luke then ran away from him because he was a coward.
    So Luke is going "who the fuck is Kylo Ren? he's not my problem, i've quit".
    And Kylo is going "i'm gonna be the baddest mofo, find Luke and shove it in his face"

and then Rey is like "wait..Kylo is Ben, you didn't kill him....Kylo, luke didn't try to kill you, it was a trick"

and everyone is like "OH SNAP".

and Snoke has a good chuckle.
  • No, that’s pulling in unnecessary shit that most people don’t care about.
  • The Luke stuff's fine in my opinion.  Thematically it works within the movie (it's a film about individual arrogance causing disaster, whether it's Poe, Luke, Snoke, Finn, whoever).  But it also works within the original trilogy - vast quantities of time in the first three films - especially Empire, is spent on the notion that Luke could easily flip to the dark side.  He's an accomplished Jedi by the end of RotJ, but he remains pretty impetuous, and comes perilously close to giving in to the Emperor.  It's not a huge jump to imagine him still conflicted.  He's tempted to kill his Dad in RotJ, he's tempted to kill Kylo in this - but in both cases he stops himself.  

He's then bloody scared of what he's capable of doing, and horribly ashamed, so shuts himself off from the world and the force lest he do any more damage. It's not cowardice, as far as he's concerned it's a massive sacrifice, done for the greater good.

As for the ending - he knows projecting himself onto the planet's going to kill him.  He does it anyway - because, despite it all, he's the hero you remember him being.  What's more, even though he believes Kylo can't be saved he ensures that he isn't further twisted by being able to kill him.  (And prevents himself from succumbing too.)  But he achieves a shit load more than just delaying things - he gets to re-write his legacy, and once again make the story of Luke Skywalker one that inspires hope in others.  Yet another character learning from their arrogance, and ultimately coming good.

(Also, I really don't think he could have made it there in time in an X-Wing...)

Still, for what it's worth, Mark Hamill's been on record for some time as having disagreed fundamentally with what they did with Luke...
  • Andy wrote:
    I don’t know which original trilogy you guys watched, but Luke has always, always, always been a whiny, petulant, arrogant, scared little know-it-all. His going into hiding is a) exactly what the Luke of ESB and RotJ would do; and b) not dissimilar to what Yoda did. Yes, he tried to convert Vader, but he also went into a red-mist-rage and tried to kill him. He’s seen what the dark side did to his dad, and nearly did to him, so of course angry, scared little Luke shat the bed when he saw the same darkness in his nephew. He hasn’t changed at all.

On the flipside. i don't know which original trilogy you watched, but Luke was also a hero who cared about doing right and standing against evil, who would risk his life for his friends even if it meant sacrificing his own 'force' training, who surrendered himself and suffered torture and pain to try to reach a 'lost' family member and to save the galaxy from the Emperor.
    So, completely different. ;)
  • He didn’t ‘sacrifice’ his force training, he gave up on it like a sulky, petulant kid. He does heroic things, but in a manner closer to Kevin the teenager than the picture you’re trying to paint.
  • He sacrificed his force training to save his friends.
  • Tin's explanation is about the most palatable I've seen. The idea that Luke didn't want Kylo to kill him for that reason is interesting.
    However it's really not set up or communicated in the film...it wouldn't have taken more than a line of dialogue "I can't face him - i can't kill him, i can't save him, and if I let him kill me it will just make him worse".

I still don't like it though, even if that is why he did it. It's still (in my opinion) a waste of the character, both the one i wanted from the originals, and the one that such a big deal was made of in these two films.
  • He's had 30 years to think about what happened since RotJ though, is he really going to be teetering on the knife edge of the dark side at this point?

Instead of projecting, why doesn't he just go to the planet directly if the intent in the story is to kill him off? It's like the least impactful option. They are killing the main character in the whole franchise and he dies of fatigue in a fucking cave! What a colossal waste of the story opportunity they had, it's just a total disservice to the character, the actor and people who waited since 1983 to see Luke again and this is what they got.

I think a lot of the criticism I have of the film comes down to the wasted opportunities. They're just so blatant that I question how the fuck the script got through and what a fucking mess the first draft must have been.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Instead of projecting, why doesn't he just go to the planet directly if the intent in the story is to kill him off? It's like the least impactful option.

I’ll give you that. I wanted to see him effectively give himself up to Ren the same way Kenobi did with Vader. Like, exactly the same.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!