Catherine / Katherine Returns
‹ Previous12
  • So, Catherine (the fantastic horror-puzzle-sex game from the Atlus Persona team) is getting a remake on PS4 and Vita!

It’s the first game, of course, but they’re adding a third Catherine (Quatherine?) which, fingers crossed, will solve the biggest flaw in the main game - that is basically Madonna / Whore writ large, with a side serving of women, wot r they like?.

Still, Catherine has the best representation of texting and modern communication to date, and it was a genuinely interesting game. Plus, given how good an update Golden was to Persona 4 I’m inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone else in?
  • Hmm, not sure about remake, but adding a third could make it basically a new game.

If only I don't get stuck in one of the fucking nightmare sections this time.
  • There was no way I was gonna get stuck in a dream section when there were texts I might be missing once returning to the pub bog. Power through that shit, Dante.
  • Is this a game I can squeeze out a wank to? Haven't been able to do that since masq.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I never got to finish this. Amusing that despite being early adopter of PS3 I started to love it when the were remastering PS2 stuff, and it's the same things getting me excited about PS4
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Altus can fuck right off.
  • Rejoice! Atlus so best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Quite liked it first time round, but not sure I can be arsed again. Depends how much they change.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, definitely interested, noticed this last night but was pretty sure @Cinty'd be there with a thread soon.

I remember being interested by the first when they announced it, but I think I never understood what it was supposed to be. So this is a remake of that game on ps3? Are there any more in the series?

Good to see there's still interest in the Vita too, from developers.
  • Just the one in the series, I think. I never got around to finishing it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Is this a game I can squeeze out a wank to? Haven't been able to do that since masq.

mgsv m8 that dog is one sexy fucko
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @TheDJR, saw some more info on Twitter, looks like more Catherine's, but they are all in the same game. So just 1 game, got me confused.

Also noticed something about cross saving, that does sound nice.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    On the Yes scale about a 3/5.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Negative Brooks
  • I got stuck in a nightmare section.
    Woulda loved to have seen more.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm this is ahead fairly high up the PoS. Should i stay or should i go?
  • It should deffo be played. It’s not that long and I reckon you’d get a lot from it.
  • So, Catherine: Full Body is out now / out soon depending on where you are. It’s a decent update to an already great game, it seems, and there’s a fair enough review here (albeit a little spoilery) :

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/8/30/20838344/catherine-full-body-review-ps4

Catherine as a game is seriously flawed and there’s stuff I absolutely don’t like about it, but there’s so much great stuff and there’s nothing else like it about. If anyone isn’t tried Catherine yet, get on it.

It’s not a massive game, and on replays you can actually fast forward through scenes to get quickly to the next story or dialogue choice. Plus there’s now an auto climb setting if you get stuck in a dream section (filthy casuls lul).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah I found the game got in the way of the story... I really must finish it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've had this installed on my Vita for like half a decade. Unstarted. One day...
  • What stuff did you absolutely not like? Gameplay stuff or story stuff?
  • Some of the story stuff - the 2 choices in the OG version basically come down to "do you want a reliable ball and chain? or, do you want a fun-loving nymphette?". Or, 3rd choice...weirdly named "true freedom". As i put in the OP, the game basically runs with Madonna / Whore and despite how good a lot of it is, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed in those parts. 

I think it's actually super mature and insightful with how it handles relationships and communication, I just feel that fluffed the landing. Hopefully that's been sorted - heard there's 13 endings now, which should hopefully allow for a lot more nuance. 

Also, as I said before, can't think of many games that have handled digital communication better - the texting in this game is dope. Also, it's genuinely sexy, and funny, and scary.
  • If there's an auto-climb, I may give it another go. This was a game that I wanted to breeze through for the story paths rather than spend hours grinding through. Instead, it's still on my PS3 with the surface barely scratched. Though it didn't help that I picked it up just when family stuff was seriously depleting gaming time.
    As B0r1s says, the game got in the way of the story.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I really liked the puzzle / game side but yeah...I can see why it’s marmite.
  • I had the tat edition on preorder then cancelled now Amazon don’t have it anymore. Had the tat edition on 360 but got rid of it cos it was just sitting on my Pile of Shame.

Gonna get on PS4 at some point, maybe when it’s cheaper.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I enjoyed the puzzles well enough first time round. And the story aspects were pretty well done, although definitely had some issues.

But I don't have any real desire to go back to it, even in a souped up version.

Edit: Oh, seems I already said that:
    JonB wrote:
    Quite liked it first time round, but not sure I can be arsed again. Depends how much they change.
  • I got to the, I think, last level last time and my fingers let me down. Can’t imagine they would have changed anything in that respect.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna write something for my blog this week about Catherine. It was a game I needed at the time but not necessarily something I want to cop to. Some of what cinty says above is bang on, and I'd like to come to it now from a curio point of view rather than anything stronger.

As an aside, there's still a Catherine poster up in my games room.
  • Shagger Snake strikes again
  • So, I’m playing Full Body and it’s getting a strong hmmmmm from me.

New girl is interesting enough and has led to some pretty significant story changes. Vincent and Katherine’s relationship has also been fleshed out which helps to reduce the way the game presents her as basically a nagging mare trying to tie Vincent down (which is still there, just alleviated somewhat).

They’ve also added tweaks to difficulty as well as remixed levels and mechanics for returning players (all optional, you can select classic at any time).

So that’s all good.

But, the pacing feels a bit off now, and I’m not sure if they retranslated and re-recorded everything (I assume so, given content changes) but the localisation is giving me the same slightly flat vibes as the job they did with Persona 5, which I wasn’t expecting. Maybe my memory deceived me and it was always like this...

Some of the changes are just straight up wrong though, the most egregious being the texting. If you remember texting in old Catherine, the game would write a sentence and you could choose or delete that line. Deleting led Vincent to rewrite and change his thoughts. It perfectly encapsulated the feeling of indecisively trying to write a text to a romantic partner when there’s issues. Now? Now it’s just 3 choices straight up in a box, ala most RPGs. A baffling change that fucks it hard.

So yeah...hmmmmmmm.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hmmmmmm.

I missed it first time around, and it isn't in the US Big in Japan sale. Still looking forward to picking it up at some point, but that probably will be a while.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!