Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • kestla wrote:
    The only thing I would say, is that without music etc, the n/c vacuum kinda effect would be more noticeable and maybe uncomfortable for long periods? I suppose like anything though, you could get use to that after a while.

They have a thing on the app now that takes into account atm pressure and ear type or something, for anc. Maybe a bullshit solution but it's obviously been affecting folk. What I would say is silence gets a bit freaky after a while. It's ok for an hour or two, and maybe the lockdown thing weighs a bit, but I'm finding I crave some noise from living things after a while. General background chatter or birdsong or something. Music puts me off coding because my attention wanders to the music, but silence also only works for a bit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That might also be your ears getting tired? Some people are strangely affected by noise cancelling, because it's still sending sound waves down your tubes, but your brain is registering nothing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah maybe. It's certainly a freaky thing, the anc, almost like a superpower, but isolation is also freaky. I don't miss the guitar downstairs but I miss something.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Not quite the right thread but seems about as close as I can get I guess. Has anyone any experience with av receivers and surround speakers? Looking for a bit of advice pre purchase if possible. I’m looking at actual separates and not soundbars though. Thanks.
  • Do it, I'm so happy with mine. 

What're you going for, 5.1? How big's the room? Budget?

I've got a Denon 3400 and some kef t-series speakers which wallmount flat. Probably sacrificed a bit of audio fidelity for the cleaner, tidier setup, but they work well.

I bought from Peter Tyson as a bundle package, saved quite a bit vs the seperate retail price.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The room is about 4m x 8m with 3m ceiling height.

Currently have a Sonos playbar, ones and woofer but it lacks any kind of actual oompf so now we aren’t going on holiday I might buy into a proper wired system.

Defo looking at a Denon amp - either x3600 or x4500 and then I don’t know what for speakers? Was looking at Dali Oberons as a start but will happily look at whatever.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I know I'm a fanboy but Yamaha surround receievers are always really good value. They refresh the lineup every year or so, and the previous years ones are in bargain bins all the time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It’s a pretty competitive market. Sony, Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo are all solid options, I doubt you’d go far wrong with any. I’ve been really happy with my denon, I imagine I’d have been equally happy with options from the others.

Some say the Denon can be quite flat for music vs Yamaha, personally I haven’t found that to be the case. I’ve got it hooked up to my record player and it sounds grand, although I haven’t got a Yamaha to compare to.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oh, I didn't mean it to sound in competition with your post, just that I still see them so heavily discounted that I'd always have them in the conversation
  • That’s cool, I didn’t take it that way. Was really just saying you get a lot of tech these days regardless of the brand because competition is good. Going previous year is usually a good shout.
  • I’ll have a dig into Yamaha stuff then too. Cheers for the advice.
  • Just impulse-bought some of these bad boys:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rha-t20.20745/reviews

£60. Seemed like a bargain, will see!
  • Right, talk to me about DACs (please!?).

Was gonna have a dabble on a Dragonfly black (£60 atm), but then looking around at other offers this seems to be a relative bargain (with the free case thrown in too):

https://petertyson.co.uk/chord-mojo-for-apple

It's far more than I was planning on paying, but if it's worth it then I can always dip into some reserve funds (and say nothing to the wife...).

Thoughts?
  • Been reading around, might go for a DAP instead, a shanling m0 or Fiio m5.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    For PC?

Schiit Modi 3
    https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Drop x Grace SDAC
    https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-grace-design-standard-dac

If you want a combo, lots of options. Schiit Fulla or Hel would be worth a look too.

Chord stuff is highly rated. I have a Schiit Modi Multibit which is excellent.

Fiio are a mixed bag; their DAPs are well built with good components, but the UI and firmware can be painful. A low end Astell and Kern might be worth a look.

As ever, budget, other gear in chain and intended use.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Thanks for the reply.

Basically now I've bought those wired IEMs (not arrived yet), I'm after something to drive them. I was initially looking for ways of connecting to iphone (using Vox for FLACs etc.) and thought I might as well look for a DAC that I can also plug into PC, that's what led me towards the Shanling M0 (and subsequently the fiio) since it seems to offer a best of both worlds option. I can chuck all my tunes on an SD card to avoid filling up my phone, whilst also having the option of using it to connect to phone for spotify etc. and to PC. I really should keep my budget around £100 to avoid getting carried away.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Discount, reviews, size and design have me thinking I'm getting this on pay day this week...

https://jaben.com.au/products/gov-miniusb

Also, I can just walk into the place, it's super close to work.

Jaben looks like it's gone under. Website messed up, but these govibe mini boxes are awesome. No bells or whistles or settings though. Just plug and that's it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Basically now I've bought those wired IEMs (not arrived yet), I'm after something to drive them. I was initially looking for ways of connecting to iphone (using Vox for FLACs etc.) and thought I might as well look for a DAC that I can also plug into PC, that's what led me towards the Shanling M0 (and subsequently the fiio) since it seems to offer a best of both worlds option. I can chuck all my tunes on an SD card to avoid filling up my phone, whilst also having the option of using it to connect to phone for spotify etc. and to PC. I really should keep my budget around £100 to avoid getting carried away.

My Fiio M3 is on its very last legs, have to really press the play button with the tip of a nail these days. but when it finally goes I like the look of that for a portable player.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Check the iBasso DX range, and Sony do some nice higher end DAPs
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Basically now I've bought those wired IEMs (not arrived yet), I'm after something to drive them. I was initially looking for ways of connecting to iphone (using Vox for FLACs etc.) and thought I might as well look for a DAC that I can also plug into PC, that's what led me towards the Shanling M0 (and subsequently the fiio) since it seems to offer a best of both worlds option. I can chuck all my tunes on an SD card to avoid filling up my phone, whilst also having the option of using it to connect to phone for spotify etc. and to PC. I really should keep my budget around £100 to avoid getting carried away.

What's your verdict on the T20i?
  • I'd be interested to know too. I'm afraid the absolute worst IEMs I ever bought were a pair of RHA phones.
    Needed an emergency replacement when I fucked my godlike Etymotic HF3's on a job in America, and spent about $50 on the RHAs. They were genuinely excruciating to listen to. Had to keep taking them out my ears after about 15-20mins, so bad painful the sound. Anyhoo, the ones I had were reasonably cheap, so hopefully their dearer models are better.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I actually sent the T20i's back and ordered the wireless variant as they'd come back in stock whilst I was awaiting delivery. Annoyingly I couldn't cancel the delivery before they sent them. Still a relative bargain vs rrp though, even after return postage. 

So the T20 wireless sound great. I've only tried them from spotify via iphone so far, so nothing particularly high-quality, but they sound great. They seem to be focused on the mid-range, but they come with filters to tweak the audio. I've chucked the bass filters on and everything sounds crisp but with a bit more emphasis on the lows, and even though I sometimes want a bit more bass, they're pretty well pitched for the majority of my listening. They sound as good, if not better than my Sennheiser over-ears.

I'm waiting until birthday later this month to get a player for some higher-res listening.

I think the 60% off code has expired now, I was tempted to order the wired ones again at an even lower price to save faffing with the connectors, but that's would've probably been overkill.
  • Glad to hear they weren't a washout like the ones I had.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They’ve got such a good rep, I’m surprised about how bad yours were.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I got a pair of Sennehiser IE40s the other week. I get very annoyed when I see earphones marketing themselves as IEMs, when 90% of them should never be used as a reference for anything. However I've been super impressed by the quality, the sound is very flat, and that's fine really as I listen to podcasts as much as music these days (need to fix that). Admittedly my ears aren't in the best shape recently but I wouldn't rank these above my old Shure e4, but then they were less than half the price, and a lot more than half the quality
  • I like my SoundMagic earphones, they do a good job and i listen to a mixture of podcasts and music. I just cant justify a pair that are £50+. I have a pair of bose sport earphones. Good for running and in the gym, but they let in alot of external noise which is annoying. However i got them cheap so they were worth a try.
  • I also ordered a few pairs of the T20i - 1 pair @ £60 and then 2 @ £40 - as they dropped the price while keeping the 60% discount.
    I have to return the £60 pair as they couldn't cancel the order.

Got them on Friday and have a had a few hours playing with them. For £40 I can't see anything ever getting close to the quality of these.

Bass is nice and there is sub-bass. Treble is ok. Some vocals are a tad harsh and very slightly robot like (not so impressed with that). Mids are decent but coming from SE530s (with over empasised Mids) they seem a little flat. SE530 kills them for vocals as well, and 3d-ness of the sound. To balance that, the bass and detail is better than the 530s. As a comparison the 530s cost me £210 10 years ago and the current equivalent, 535, are around £320 now - so a different price class altogether.

The changeable filters are a good idea but the treble (pass through) is a bit too harsh so I expect the bass filters will be the long term ones.

Not a fan of the tips that come with it apart from the comply foam - which are great. Comfort and fit not a patch on my 530s which I can wear all day long.

These have dynamic drivers so they will be need some burning in time - physical plus brain burning adjustment.

But, £40! Stupidly good at that price and probably nothing close to them under £100 either. But I'm no expert on cheaper phones - the last iems I coveted were the SE846 which are £800.

Cockbeard, IEM is a generic term for in ears now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I know, but having worked in live sound professionally, it still irks me a little

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!