Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • You might want to get your laptops to "forget" the headset connection in order to get them to connect to anything new.

Also, do the headphones have NFC which you can use with your phone to establish the connection?

x
  • So it links to my old acer still. But won't to the new dell now. Nor will it connect to phone via bt or NFC.

it works via usb on laptop.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Oh, just had to hold down on button again.

Instructions were clear as mud.
  • FYI, selling my senns, they work, but the Beyers are price dropped, so I get there in the end. Coming any day now.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So question to any Dolby Atmos speaker owners. Is it worth it? I’ve been eyeing up the Sonos Arc as I already own that kit and just wondering if it really does work as a height channel.

I’ll have surrounds to support it so that’s not an issue just wondering if it is a significant step up from normal 5.1.
  • I can't answer that, but I do know my beyers are coming today.
  • Oh my god. These headphones. They are so comfortable. That's apart from the sound.
  • Which is as good as I remember. And thats even coming from better phones than I was when I first heard them.

They're on ebay for $50 more than the top end Sonys. FYI. That is a bargain.
  • Anyone after some sony xm4 headphones? I've got a code from curry's that will get you £110 off. Still pretty pricy mind, but if you're in the market...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Wow, that's some discount! Very happy with the Xm3s at this point, but if they weren't still in good nick, I'd be all over this.
  • I did a speculative price match with one of those grey import sites, and they agreed.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Packed away when i finished Uni in 2001. Turned on for the first time since then today. My good old Technics stereo. Attached it all together apart from the tape deck (dont need). Blasted out some d'n'b and it worked first time. 20 years in storage not bad.

20210212-143423.jpg

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    In the right thread…

I knew this would happen. Apple announce lossless and I start down the rabbit hole.

I’m not an audiophile, I’m very much convenience over quality I guess, but I figure if I’m getting the extra audio quality, I may as well maximise listening to it. Working from home a lot still and even going forwards I sit at my desk Mac and listen to a lot of music on my single Apple HomePod mini, which is fine especially considering the size of speaker.

But last night I decided to perform a basic test by trialling 3 months of Amazon music for free to try out their HD tracks and I was comparing a mix of piano music vs Apple Music by just plugging in my QC35’s. It wasn’t always noticeable on every track, but a few had definite improvements in sound quality.

So much so that I then spent the next two hours on YouTube and audiophile websites reading up about DAC’s and quality headphones. I also read back through some of the earlier posts in this thread with Face getting into DAC/DAP’s (so much jargon) last year.

In the end I decided to go for a cheap(ish) desktop Fiio K5 Pro DAC/AMP (I don’t need portability, I’ll never carry around full headphones when I have the convenience of my AirPod Pros) and a set of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro’s. It seemed a cheap way to get into this mad rabbit hole. Now when I say cheap, it’s all relative as it cost nearly £300, but if I can get much much better sound for that price compared to spending it on an expensive pair of BT cans, then it seems worth the investment.

I’m certain in the coming years that Apple will come up with some super duper high bandwidth streaming tech just for their devices, but for now hopefully I’ve made the right decision.

I’m sure this is where people will come in and say don’t buy those headphones they are shit, but at £111, from Amazon (easy returns), it seems a safe way to test the water.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Anyone have recommendations for wireless headphones for general movie & TV watching? Looking for something with reliable connection, good surround sound and comfortable wearing for long periods. Happy to splash a bit of cash for the right set.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Am currently using a pair of Bose QC35ii and they're great. Can connect to two things at once, so if I'm listening to music while working and then get a zoom call them switch over automatically. Battery lasts all day if I turn the noise cancelling off. Wish I could change the default to off but have to remember to switch it off (two button presses on the cans themselves after turning it on) but hey ho, also they charge really quickly too, twenty minutes to 80% most times. Got them free with my phone, but they're down to 140 in some places and I'd probably spend that again for the convenience they've given me. Otherwise Nina was asking similar in the ask a badger thread so there's some recommendations there though they might be more gaming based
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I have the Bayer Dynamic Lagoon. 

Sound is A+, ease of connection and stableness of connection A+.

Comfort is very very good. The leather is suuuuuper soft. They're slightly small for Overears (in fact, maybe they're classified as on ear. But they're big for that so I dunno.)

Only structural issue is that the glue on the leather on the band across the top has come loose. So they don't look as neat as they used to, because I did a basic job with super glue putting the leather back on, but functionally, they're as rock solid as when I bought em. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193816861816?hash=item2d20629c78:g:~-cAAOSwGAhf4e4U

I got brown ones, but these are black. Seems to be the ball park price.
  • Oh yeah, battery life is very good too. I keep em well charged because lockdown, but even when I don't the worst they ever seem to get to is 60% down.
  • (Have then on NC level 2 nearly the whole time)
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I’ve read a lot of reviews recently, for comfort and noise cancelling Sony XM4 are generally considered the best. Sound quality, a few reckon they are pipped by the Sennheiser Momentum 3. I’ve got the Momentum 2 and they are quality, also got some Bowers and Wilkins PX7, but the clamping force is a bit too strong for prolonged use.
  • I had a pair of those momentum 2s. On ears. Uncomfortable and the bt connection was suss.

The overs on the momentum 3s might be better.

The beyers are streets ahead of those imo.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Not tried them, but was massively impressed by the DT 1990 Pro I bought recently.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers for the recs. I'd been looking at the XM4s so will check out the others for some comparisons. I haven't used overears before, aside from fairly standard gaming headsets, so it's a whole new world.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    for comfort and noise cancelling Sony XM4 are generally considered the best.

I've said it before and I'll say it many a time again, but I have the XM3 and they are my favourite thing in the world.  Ahead of my children.

I've had them two years now and they still make my jaw drop to the floor with the NC and sound quality.  I dread the day the battery goes on them, as I'll have no choice to stump up for the XM4 (or later).

I could never recommend a thing more.

x
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve just come in to say I’ll never buy Bose again after my QC35’s (v1) developed a known fault and Bose’s response was for me to buy a pair of v2’s.

Get the Sony’s.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That sounds shit, mine were a freebie so I'm not super fussed
    The Sony's do have cracking reviews, and this thread has made me lust for for Sony in ears as my sennheisers need a new plug soldering
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think the v2’s (which I think you have) had the issue fixed. I bought them just before the stock where I met you (2017) and was super happy with them. During lockdown I put them their case and left em in a drawer as I didn’t go anywhere. Took them out months later to use them and they would not switch off. Turns out the on off slider goes over a strip of metal that gets bent out of shape if you leave them in the case with pressure on it. This keeps them in the on position. I could possibly take em apart and try to fix it but just use them wired now.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    That sounds shit, mine were a freebie so I'm not super fussed
    The Sony's do have cracking reviews, and this thread has made me lust for for Sony in ears as my sennheisers need a new plug soldering

I recently bought the Sony WF -XM4's which are the in ear ones. They're phenomenal tbh.

The sound, comfort and size are all superb, and the noise cancelling is the best I've experienced, even better than my over the ear XM3's, which was very surprising.

They're a bit on the pricey side atm as they've only just been released, but I done the 4 month PayPal credit thing, which makes it a slightly easier pill to swallow. Just!
  • FWIW, I tried the Sony's in comp to the Bayers instore. Sony NC was indeed AMAZING. Sound quality was very good. But the Bayers were >>>>>> Sony on sound quality. IMO etc and only on an instore test.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But I used to post as Sony once upon a time, of course I'm slightly biased
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone any recs for a decent outdoor amp/speaker ? Bluetooth or audio cables...dont mind. Mains or chargable. Needs a bit of oomph for outdoors. Doesnt have to be waterproof though thats a plus.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!