Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    mmyup
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I am in need of this thread again.

99% have some exciting travel coming up, which mens duty free. Which means I need headphones. Limited to duty free shops in Melb. I guess.

@skerret.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Hey get some gaming ones.
  • Beats must have a gaming line. They’d be perfect.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Good call. Case closed.
  • Lol. I might just get some in ears from the supermarket.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If noise canceling is important look at Bose QC35, Sony's NC line or the Audio Technica ANC line. My approach lately has been to get good earplugs, then get reasonably isolating over-ears and turn up the volume. As ever, budget and style (on/over/in ear) pls
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I can vouch for the Sony NC (and they've just brought out a new model) and I won't travel anywhere without them.
  • Over ear. As cheap as possible while still getting passable quality. Seems to be a weird gap between $100 and $350 plus.
  • Not over ear, but I still reckon these are very excellent for the money. Always enjoyable to listen through, and handy to have some 'phones that don't block everything out so I can keep some situational awareness.

My first pair went through a wash and tumble dry, worked fine for a bit before one side got noticeably quieter, so I'm on my second set now.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Nuraphones  

x1C9r7v.jpg

Had these a few months now and the best way to describe them:

They’re like a concert in your head.

Involuntary smile spreads when your hear familiar tunes rendered in fresh way.

You’ve other places to be so to the skinny-

The Good
    Timing - my foot doesn’t stop tapping.
    Vocal clarity - position is bang centre inside your head.
    Bass - Taut and deep*
    Separation of instruments.
    Live performances especially immersive.
    Accurate soundstage.

*Subtle nudges up on the phone APP immersion bar can reap rewards so experiment.

The Practical
    Noise cancelling.
    Quality of materials.
    Stay cool ear pads.
    No sound leakage.
    Programmable soft touch controls.

Not So Good
    Sound better via cable.
    In ear presence.
    Proprietary cables.  
    Needs smart device to set up.
    £350.

Not for everyone because dildos in the lugs, which is probably why Nuraphone offer a 28 day return if dissatisfied.

If you're looking to spend this much definitely give them a try, cos they’ve made me love music again.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Interesting. Ta.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We hashed over the Nuraphone and alikes a few pages back I think
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Mentioned I’d just got a pair, this was just my take after a few months use :)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yah of course, was just for reference purposes
  • Nice review bhd, cheers for the update.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • WorKid wrote:
    I can vouch for the Sony NC (and they've just brought out a new model) and I won't travel anywhere without them.

If the new model is the WH1000XM3, then I got some and they are fucking wondrous. The NC is some kind of mad black magic. Total recommendation.

x
  • Just tried Shure 846s in Atlanta airport.

Want the phones.

Don’t want the price.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My Shure 840s had great sound but the build quality was lousy. The jack socket went gammy fairly quickly and the entire right ear cup broke off after a couple of years. Switched to Sony, so far so good.
  • 846 <> 840.

846s are iems. And bloody expensive. But they sound great.
  • I've got my AKG550 MKIIs back from a mate, so I'm rolling with those again at work.  The Fostex TH-00s are sitting proudly at home next to my HIFIMAN HE4XX (I think that's what they're called).  

It's a drop off from the Fostex, which I'd been using every day for 6 months or so, but pound for pound I still think they're my best purchase.  I would've be without either of my uberwobblers, but the AKGs are a [7] in almost all categories (further reading: [6] for bass, [8] for acoustic guitar stuff and [10] for comfort).   

91StmNjBRSL._SX466_.jpg

£99 they cost me.  Everyday stunners.  

I have enjoyed the headphone game immensely.  I feel like I've covered all bases with the three proper cans I own.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    ...HIFIMAN HE4XX (I think that's what they're called).
    Nah mate. Pretty sure he's a character in that new Kojima game.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It does sound like the sort of boss character MGSV was sorely lacking by all accounts.
  • Skerret!  My B&W P5s are maybe due for replacement.  I'm tempted by the B&W PX.  I do use Bluetooth so fancy something with the raw technical ability to at least make that sound ok, but it must have a wired option.  Noise cancelling is handy for flying but not essential.

Tell me what to do pls.
  • I have those Elm!  I love them but have nothing else to fairly compare them to.  I think Skerrets view is that they are fine but not top notch.  Me though?  Best headphones I’ve ever owned.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    B&W are Quite Nice I reckon; there's a premium given the consumer they are targeting that extends beyond sq but I'd think they be fine.

Wired/wireless suggests Vmoda Crossfade 2 to me, I have the M100 and it's a bass-oriented but still pretty balanced sort of presentation.

This might help: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/8/16709882/best-wireless-over-ear-headphones-to-buy

Reviews are piss but it's a good list. Haven't heard the Beyers but I rate their more recent gen of headphones (DT1990) so might be worth a go if you can handle on-ears. Get thee to a showroom and try try try cos if its Bluetooth then its portable so size, ergonomics battery and features are all gonna matter.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also yes Moot. My daily is the HD650 and they do so much right.
  • I do like the easy choices with the more expensive cans. It's HIFIMAN for country all day long, but Fostex for almost all hip hop. I like the tough choices too - which is better for a spot of classic rock? I still can't decide! Still rocking the Schiit stack too, which brings the beefy to both. Using them more now they're in the escape room too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    One day we'll ascend the mount and splash 1k+ on a serious endgame can Moot and that day cometh right soon. I reckon the Ananda might be your bag, complimented by the Fostex TH900.
  • You buy, I'll watch the endgame from way back in your slipstream with my Superman II's on.

Until one of my big three die.  Then maybe I'd go bigger.  In the meantime I'm still more than happy to pretend top end cans couldn't possibly sound better (plus I genuinely don't think they would, by much, unless every level of my audio chain was improved along with the headphones).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!