Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • Has anyone here tried Stax headphones? I'm still kicking myself for not doing so when I was in Japan last year.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've seen them in store many a time and haven't tried em yet but I oughta. SR009 m8
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • WorKid wrote:
    I can vouch for the Sony NC (and they've just brought out a new model) and I won't travel anywhere without them.

If the new model is the WH1000XM3, then I got some and they are fucking wondrous. The NC is some kind of mad black magic. Total recommendation.

x

Just tried these. Qft.

Tried some beo in ears too, less impressive. And I can't deal with the ear pressure.

Got a $500 voucher from work.

Gonna either get the Sony's or I also tried a couple of beyerdynamics which were both pretty amazing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Lagoon and aventho. For the beyers. Leaning aventho between the 3.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Do you dig on-ears?

I have the DT1350 which is the studio-intended ancestor of the Aventho and if they inherit that tuning then you've got a remarkable sounding can in a small package.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yes. I discovered pretty quick that in ears are not for me.

Lady in shop recced those out of the 3, but they were all very very good.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    I have the DT1350 which is the studio-intended ancestor of the Aventho and if they inherit that tuning then you've got a remarkable sounding can in a small package.
    How do they compare to the 770?

I was casually looking at headphones when B was looking at network plugs, tried the Sony's that Face mentioned couple posts up, but I'm not interested in noise canceling and they're on the expensive side for me. B has the 770 at work, but the 1350 might be more convenient when going around? I'm looking for something that I can easily wear the whole day while doing my thing, and the 880's we have have that stupid curled cable.

The Sony felt more comfortable than the 770 though (B will bring them this week and I can try them for a couple days). I used to have a Sony headset that was popular with dj's, forgot the actual number but I think the cans look similar to the 1350, which looks to be smaller than the 770?

Any advice Skerret? I want it for daily use, all kinds of music and also gaming (might add a microphone in the future if I use them a lot). Comfort is important as I intend to use them for a long time. I tried AKG's but couldn't fit them around my head, they were wobbly.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    1350 is exceptionally good given its a supra-aural/on ear design. Probably still among the best on ears you can buy and they don't cost that much. The problem is that kind of design is not comfortable for long periods for most people. Beyer have the T51p which is essentially the consumer version of the DT1350 with plusher pads and a slightly more V shaped sound, so if you wanted on ears they would be worth trying.

As far as the similarity with the 770, Beyer do have a pretty distinctive house sound so there are parallels but the over vs on ear means they are still pretty different on the technicalities front.

Audeze do the Sine, an on ear that is really punchy and pretty comfortable. Pricy though.

If comfort is a big factor and the mic integration is something you want, Vmoda have the M100 and the wireless/wired successor the Crossfade 2. There is an entry point on either cup for the cable and they also sell a custom mic that fits them. I have the M100 and they are pretty V shaped but easy to listen to; kind of what Beats should have been. I have the M100 and despite having better cans I have kept them as they are really well built, fold away nicely and are comfortable for long periods. They also have an on ear variant which is quite good.

Lemme know your price range and I can recommend a few to listen to. Always demo them first with your music if you can.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thank you!

I think the M100's are more or less at the high end of my budget, I don't want to push too close to 300usd. They are on amazon for $235, the mic is only $30 so not bad. Google suggested a lot of second hand options too for this one, is that something I could consider or is it a no go for headphones?

B brought his 770 home, and that cable is way too long, I can see myself trip over that. I had the 880's on last night while cooking and while the cable is heavy, it didn't get it the way. Just had it on my back and my little mp3 player clipped to my skirt.

Is it the T51p or i? I can only see a T51i on Amazon, which is around $200 here I think.

I can't tell right now if I'd prefer over or on ears, as I didn't realize those were two different things. The Sony's I used to have were on ears, I'm pretty sure about that.

We probably won't have a decent set of speakers for the foreseeable future, as apartments here are too flimsy, so that's why I'm looking at headphones again. I can't really say for how long I'd be using them at a time, but they should be comfortable enough for at least a whole album.
    And have good parts, I had a set of Yamaha's on that I thought fitted quite well, until I wanted to say something to B and I heard all the plastic moving parts creak.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    T51i was I think the inline mic version, so should be the same I think.

Second hand for headphones is usually fine; if you go through the more headfi specific classifieds like audioshark you get people who have really looked after their gear. You will probably want a pair of XL pads as well, much more plush and comfy (though the original pads are fine).

M100/Crossfade are built like tanks, steel construction. If you go down the line the Audio Technica M series are good, M70x is probably within your budget and are good and sturdy.

Sounds like removable cable is a good idea if you'll be using them around the house, likely to snag on something. Unless you want wireless but the cost goes up while quality goes down in general, has improved an awful lot though.

Beyers are also really well built. Again I'd see if there are any audio gear places near you and try to audition some things. If not, M70x, M100, Beyer T51 are all good choices and suit your aims I think. Beyers don't have removable cable however but I've never had a problem with them.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks again, I need to see if I can listen to the M100 and T51 somewhere, and see how they fit.
    Skerret wrote:
    Sounds like removable cable is a good idea if you'll be using them around the house, likely to snag on something. Unless you want wireless but the cost goes up while quality goes down in general, has improved an awful lot though.
    I don't really want to pay for wireless tbh, I had a Sony sport Bluetooth set and there was always something, either battery or connection issues. The Switch would be the only reason to go wireless, but I would probably prefer an extension cable between TV and headphone.

The mp3 player I use is a little clip on, so when the cable got caught behind a handle yesterday I just pulled the player of, no big deal really. Will need to do some more testing with the 770 but I don't think the cable will be a real issue.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Another question, I can't seem to find an audio store in LA that has both of them. They don't seem to carry those brands most of the time. Big fan of audeze though.
    Maybe because Best Buy and Guitar Center have them (but online only) 

When I look up the t51i on amazon, it says a newer version is available, the Aventho and that comes in brown which looks good and does have tesla something. Which I think the t51p had, but the i lost. Might be wrong on that though. Can I just trust Amazon when they say this is the new version? Price is still $199 for wired, they have it wireless too
  • Not often I see situation where Melbourne has better shopping options than LA.

Place around the corner from work ticks all those boxes.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Just checked but Melbourne ain't a stop on the way to Paris.

I might be looking at the wrong places, I just checked websites for the top 10-15 audio stores on yelp. There are plenty with headphones but all different brands. Thought it might have been because it's not America enough but vmoda has it's headquarters in California, lol.

Both Best Buy and Guitar Center have "pick up at store" options, so they're in a warehouse somewhere. I might have to see what the return policy is and just order them.
    I'm trying the 770's now and they make me really want to compare them to on ears, as the edge of the cans is sitting right where my jaw ends and now I can't yawn properly...

I actually just want the Aventho now as I really like that look...
  • Heh, I need to check, are they noise cancelling? I tried them and I think they are, but the look plus sound options were great.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The vmoda m100 are "noise isolating", both beyers (t51 and aventho) are not noise canceling I think. But I don't care that much about it, when I tried B's 880 I missed the timer for the rice and with his 770 now I don't hear the vacuum robot.

I'm not actively looking for noise canceling, I think it's scary tbh. I couldn't even hear my own voice with the Sony's you mentioned a couple days ago!
  • Yeah, but they all have settings, you can switch between. I'll be using noise cancelling at home a lot.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Aventho seems to be the evolution of the DT1350/T51 model. The tesla bit is just the magnetic induction uni wotsit for the wee neodymium magnets in the headphone cups that help drive the diaphragm to make the soundies. They decided to use it as part of their branding for some reason

If you don't care about the tech (Bluetooth, NC), I imagine you'd do we'll with the Aventho wired cos again the DT1350 is fantastic so if it builds on that I'm sure it will be solid.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B has been watching some video reviews for the Aventho with me (which has dropped to $179,-) and thinks they'll be fine for me too. Double cable might be a bit annoying, but I can work with that. I walked around cooking, cleaning out the dishwasher etc with the 770 that had the cable bundled up and that's fine. If the music is good that immediately elevates your mood anyway.

Even adding a modmic later will be slightly cheaper that the m100 with mic. Biggest plus of the modmic is that it's gonna need a y adapter to plug in the ps4 controller, which seems to be the best solution for the double cable. I saw vmoda do a mic too that should be universal, but it plugs in the audio jack so I imagine that being a problem with the Aventho.

Too bad I can't get them in time for the long flight tomorrow.
  • I'll still be buying new shinies, but lol.

Lost old shitty in ears. Remembered I still had the ones that came with my oppo.

They much much nicer. Win.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Sounds good Nina, share impressions once you get em.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Will do Skerret, I've ordered them this morning but won't be able to try them for two weeks. My brother checked EU stores and they're more expensive there too. I wonder why they dropped to $179,- on Amazon, they're more expensive everywhere else.

The wireless have some nice functions, B was hoping for the "personal sound configuration" where it would play some sounds and you need to tap when you hear them. He wasn't intrigued by it enough to buy them though, I'll be going wired.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
  • Skerret wrote:

Have to sign up to even see prices? Lol no.

Plus, Moots headphones look in far better condition than my Sennys. They’ve still got another 6 months of abuse before they start to look properly tatty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I need a new pair of in ears for use with my phone
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They're my work headphones, in good nick considering the use but they've started to shed their skin and leave bits of shiny material stuck to my ears.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, I'm not so sure, these have been my work headphones and shared many a desk for 10 hours a day
    Admittedly not real leather, but stood up fine, and got them free with a phone about six years back at least

kyEU7U4.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ffs. Bills, pysch sessions, physio and various other shit just eating work bonus before it even comes. Headphones on back burner again.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Sounds good Nina, share impressions once you get em.
    They are really good! Just a shame that I'm not feeling well since getting back, incl an ear infection or something similar.

Was listening to Lamb yesterday and it was like she was singing right next to you. Amazing.

Also tried to catch up with the music thread, and Tempy posted a Mastodon album, which had a song on it that has a sound going around you. Was impressed by that!

They're very comfortable, eating while having them on still feels a bit weird though. They cancel out noises well enough, but in between songs I can still hear environment noise, so I know when the laundry is done etc.
    The way they're built is silent too, no weird noise coming from any hinges when they move. I had that with some other brands that I tested.

B's impressed too, he did notice the more v shaped sound you mentioned, compared to his 770, but said it never messes up the song, if that makes sense.

The only thing I could see that would annoy people, especially when you carry them around a lot, is that the cups touch each other while folded. They come with foam in between them from the factory, but that is just a little loose piece. Reviews mentioned this most times, and it could mean there will be scratches if you have them in the pouch a lot.

Oh, it worked really well with Thumper on the Switch (handheld mode) too! Now I only need to test how it plays via the ps4 controller.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!