Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    I doubt that we'll see cross-platform play. Sony / MS will almost certainly never agree to it, and console vs PC is just no fun for those players who don't have the luxury of using a mouse.
    The janitor.
  • Cross platform is a huge nog
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • My cat made me mispell that so I thought I'd leave it there.  Anyway valve wanted to do cross platform but weren't allowed.

Also http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/23/4020824/bungie-explains-the-hand-dilemma-at-ps4-reveal
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    destiny_zps79695e86.jpg
  • In the Bungie blog post...

Hipi07  What differences will there be between current gen and next-generation versions of the game?

We’ve been planning for multiple hardware platforms from the very beginning, and while we can’t get into the minute technical details of each console, we’re fully committed to delivering our full vision for Destiny on every console we ship on. Currently, that list is PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.

No 720? (Or whatever it's called)
  • Because it hasn't been announced. PS4 wasn't on the list till after their conference.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ahh, ok, sorry..that's because the new Xbox hasn't been announced yet..as you were.

Edit: Ta Matty. I am fail.
  • Panic over :P
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • We are limited only by our imaginations.

*makes space marine game*
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This has been out for a few days now, but still an interesting snippet from the latest Bungie mailbag:
    We’ll tell you about Earth and the City and the Tower and the Guardians sworn to protect it. We’ll tell you about our new frontier and the enemies scouring the bones of our long-forgotten worlds. We’ll show you how incredible it feels to see a Fallen Captain’s ethereal soul rip from its body after you’ve dusted his crew with your Gravesend Mk. 28 Heavy Machinegun, shattered his absorption shield with a perfectly-placed pulse grenade, and delivered a final, thundering shot with your beloved hand cannon. We’ll show you how satisfying it is to tactically carve through the suppressing fire of a fortified Cabal war base with your fireteam, gouts of oil, geysers of steam, and shimmering loot punctuating your victory as you go.

Looks like they're not straying too far from the shield+flesh combo that served them so well through Halo.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Interesting move. Leaving aside the 'holy trinity' claptrap, I think in general that's not as appealing to a wider audience compared to your straight up see/shoot/kill model.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Interesting move. Leaving aside the 'holy trinity' claptrap, I think in general that's not as appealing to a wider audience compared to your straight up see/shoot/kill model.

It's certainly true that more people play COD right now, if that's what you mean?

I'm hoping/expecting that Bungie will be concentrating on making the best game they can and producing the 'next big thing' rather than trying to emulate what's currently the most popular. 

I thought is was bizarrely short-sighted of 343 to CODify H4 like they did. There's a reason that Halo is the billion $ franchise it is, and it seems crazy to me sap all the distinctive character out of it.

Halo at it's best is a million miles ahead of where COD is, and the shielding mechanic is just a little part of it. It makes it more about skill, rather than simply who saw who first.

You should probably have a word with Knight about it.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

The 'holy trinity' refers to guns, grenades and melees being always available. Certainly a popular enough mechanic for virtually every FPS to have come after to steal it.

As for the shield mechanic, there are dozens of reasons you could point out as being the reason for Halo not appealing to as many as CoD. Personally, it's one of the things that keeps me coming back to Halo.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's not just CoD, it's practically all shooters.

Saying "don't copy CoD" is just lazy, CoD's style of play was around a long time before CoD was.

But fine, it's OK to 'emulate' one game but not another. However I know I'm a lot less interested in Destiny if it's just going to be a reskinned Halo clone because they don't own the name any more.

And why would I talk to Knight? I've never know anyone so schizophrenic. He hates the game one sentence then bursts a blood vessel attacking anyone that criticises it the next.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The 'holy trinity' refers to guns, grenades and melees being always available. Certainly a popular enough mechanic for virtually every FPS to have come after to steal it.

That's ridiculous. Plenty of games let you use all three long before Halo. I always thought it refereed to the need to use all three in conjunction to get a kill. If that's not the case then 'holy trinity' really is claptrap.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Other games had all the individual weapons but you had to switch between them, usually a clumsy and cumbersome process. AFAIK, no other FPS placed all of these attacks on separate buttons to make them all always easily available.
  • I always thought they were talking about stuff like Half Life 2 etc which is considered 'old school' as melee, grenades and weapons are all on separate like Yoss says. Halo is certainly the first FPS game I can recall that let you have them all to hand without having to frantically scroll around or hit a NumKey to select them.
  • Yeah, it was about the immediacy of them and how the gameplay sort of shared those aspects equally I guess.
  • Ok we've done the whole Bungie/Halo/343 vs COD thing to death.

We really don't know anything about the stance they are taking towards combat in Destiny, the hype in the press releases is totally vague at the moment, clearly they are still working these things out.

Be prepared for a looong stream of gradual information!
  • Speculation: they seemed to be pegging it up those stairs in this clip - THERE IS NO SPRINT IN DESTINY!

bungie_destiny.jpg
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Speculation: there will be some form of vaguely malign A.I.
    The janitor.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Speculation: there will be some form of ancient mystery buried within Earth.
    The janitor.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Speculation: There will be at least one brightly-coloured weapon that fires neon projectiles.
    The janitor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Speculation: I will be pouring over anything that Bungie says between now and the release of Destiny for any mere morsel of information which I will then share here in the (quite possibly mistaken) belief that you're all as excited about Destiny as me.

Hang on, speculation's the wrong word, I meant: TRUFAX!
  • If there aren't neon weapons then I'm out.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    And why would I talk to Knight? I've never know anyone so schizophrenic. He hates the game one sentence then bursts a blood vessel attacking anyone that criticises it the next.

Gooooood....gooood.....use your aggressive feelings. Just let the HATE flow through you! I have forseen this! It's in your destiny (ba-dum..)! See my OP.

Let me just text Knight and then my OP will come true!!!!1111!
    Believe!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Very clever.
  • Let's keep it lovely. @mod: I hope you took "talk to knight" as the gentle joke that it was.

@shatteringyossesillusions: Maybe that quote confirms the return of Armor Lock.

*ducks*
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Mod74 wrote:

Fuck them, frankly.

That said, it was popular enough for every Halo fps to sell at least 6 million.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    yeah m8 but its no shadow warrior is it, that's a proper game

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!