Destiny 2 - Developed by Bungie
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not sure Bungie as they are now have got it in them to deliver. Apart from the art team, the talent seems to have left.

The basic mechanics in Destiny are still about the best FPS mechanics going, the moment to moment is still spectacular, it’s just about what they can hang around that.
  • Yup. They've proven that they're not really capable. They've fucked it up twice now. They don't learn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d counter that they’ve fucked it in two opposing ways which is evidence of learning.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He invoked moment to moment. Sick em boys
  • All I know is i'll give D3 a wide berth at launch, wait for the dust to settle. That's my moment to moment take on it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'll probably day 1 it. I still got my money's worth from D2 even if it wasn't all I'd hoped it would be.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'll probably day 1 it. I still got my money's worth from D2 even if it wasn't all I'd hoped it would be.

Ja. I'm paid up for next dlc too so will dip back into D2 then, but it definitely hasn't had the same draw as D1 circa Taken King

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I certainly don't feel it was terrible value but I put most of that down to who I was playing with VS the actual game facilitating us well.

It was fairly alarming how quick I ran out of things to do, but I never had to suffer through pre Taken King Destiny.
  • House of Wolves Destiny is best Destiny.

Taken King was the first step down the road to where we are now, with its nerfed abilities and watered down exotics. Plus the goofier writing style.
  • All I know is that the amount of content that was available by TTK is what i'd vaguely expect for the launch of a premium MMO
  • Basically Destiny was shit and they improved it slowly. What’s to say they can’t do the same again and have a much improved Destiny 2 down the line?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • digi wrote:
    Thing i miss most are the players, monster hunter took them all from me. :(

I thought you were getting on MoHan, too? What happened?

I read the thread and see everyone has finished it,
    Iv had loads of games to get thru too so i though id wait it out and catch it in a sale more than likely when a dlc drops no doubt and folks will be back on it again.

Basically though yakuza 0 happened and took over 90% of my gameplaying time.
    10% went to cod ww2 zombies and im really enjoying it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Basically Destiny was shit and they improved it slowly. What’s to say they can’t do the same again and have a much improved Destiny 2 down the line?

I found a lot of the issues with D2 to be down to quite fundamental design decisions. By wanting a more standard set of perks on weapons and armour to balance things in PvP, they removed a lot of the things that kept you chasing in PvE. By not wanting any GjallarThorn-style, slightly OP weapons, they removed those things that people talk about and make you want to keep playing. By increasing drop rates on exotics, getting one no longer felt special.

All of that was in vanilla D1 at launch, the issue with it was the early game putting people off, but if you pushed through that, you got something incredibly addictive and fun.

The updates to D1 provided a better progression system to get people to that end game, but the end game itself didn’t change much, they just made it a bit easier for people to access it (and provided some new challenges for when you reached it, ofc).

I can see how you can add a progression system into an existing game to get people up to the right level to experience what’s already there. I don’t really see how you can add an end game onto a progression system when you’ve already decided to flatten out the weapon system and showered everyone with exotics. Chasing those was a fundamental part of the end game in D1, it’s what kept people coming back. Without those, what else will you chuck in to keep people returning?
  • More clan engrams available now badgery peeps.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'm looking to ask a non troll qu here, but for those still in with destiny, can I ask two things 1) can destiny still be salvaged given the car crash of S2 2) what changes need to happen to save it?

Yes it can be salvaged. But the real question is does anyone care at this stage? Destiny launched back on September the 9th 2014 and since then we've been living on a constant diet of "It'll get better" - Bungie made some much needed improvements to Destiny 1 over the years, and in their infinite wisdom decided to ignore them for the sequel. An absolutely baffling decision.

However this is just as much a by-product of the sequel based nature of the franchise. In reality, both Destiny and The Division should be looking to establish themselves as platforms for the next 10 years instead of milestones for publishers. All of the fundamental problems with Destiny 2 can be extracted from it being a sequel instead of a continuing evolution of Destiny.

But back to your question. Bungie can fix Destiny 2. But to do so they need to place their stubborn attitude of knowing what's best on the sideline and listen to their fans. They also need to admit that some of the systems they introduced in Destiny 2 just aren't as good or as well polished as their Destiny 1 counter-parts. Case in point; the weapon load out system.

Personally speaking though a few sandbox changes aren't going to cut it at this stage. They need to go the full FFIV on it. Even still, most of the people they've lost now they have lost for good. Between their bullshit and lies a lot of Destiny players have just had enough of waiting.

It's such a shame. Because for a while there, for those moments spent out in the Cosmodrome gazing off into the expanding horizon, I thought Destiny was going to be something really special. 

Turns out it was all smoke and mirrors.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Basically Destiny was shit and they improved it slowly. What’s to say they can’t do the same again and have a much improved Destiny 2 down the line?

Because we've been through this song and dance before. Should we have to do it every time? Will we be here again in 2019 with Destiny 3 harping on about the same shit? If we are then we've no on to blame but ourselves. You condone this lackluster game development by voting with your wallet. If Bungie and Activision think they can get away with this again you better know they will try.
  • The social element, the team-working and ensuing raid experience were what kept me going in Destiny 2. But it’s so inanely repetitive and flawed that it really needs to give you new experiences and challenges to compensate for the drudgery. They’ve missed a trick with the lack of raids and the community has left in their droves. Constant promises that it will improve are becoming draining and they’re losing the goodwill of the community.

I have the season pass and haven’t bothered to download and play any of the dlc.
  • Do and I'll play with you.
  • Id join yous too.

Should be even more clan engrams for yous too.
  • Have to remember to log in after Fastlane.
  • Rasslin. Just meant I need to pick up those engrams.
  • More engrams to pick up guys
  • And more engrams to pick up for the clan guys.
  • They had me at "sandbox update"

See you on the 27th!!!!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Clan engrams await badgers as usuall
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm looking to ask a non troll qu here, but for those still in with destiny, can I ask two things 1) can destiny still be salvaged given the car crash of S2 2) what changes need to happen to save it?

I still think they can get some players back but they're probably already looking ahead to D3, PC is completely dead and beyond saving though. I don't think the upcoming PvP changes will solve things but at least it's a change.
  • JRPC wrote:
    They had me at "sandbox update"

See you on the 27th!!!!

They had me at "sand"

• TheDJR wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I still think they can get some players back but they're probably already looking ahead to D3, PC is completely dead and beyond saving though. I don't think the upcoming PvP changes will solve things but at least it's a change.

Reckon that the D2 Taken King equivalent will be the focus right now with similar soft-relaunch coming in September. That's gonna be key.

The next big problem will be the Warmind dlc though. It's going to be similar in scope to Osiris and there's no way that's going to be received well.

Having said all that, I'm excited about 6v6 Banner next week.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!