52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bangai-O HD is pretty much all I'm waiting for with the Xbox One BC additions now (Trials Evo not required now Rising is on the way).  I really struggled with it, but I should have given it more time. iirc I took so long to beat stage 3 I couldn't face playing any more.  Obviously Dubs smashed it to bits.  A bit of a shame as I loved the DC version.  Plus I couldn't handle the DS game because of the slowdown, so I have a weird relationship with the series considering one of them is is an all-timer for me.
    i've only played the DS version of Bangai-O, which was fine but lacked the kind of balance and finesse you'd expect from Treasure.
  • Gradius V was one of their best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 17. Ballz (Android) - This is the worst game in the world. However, I am now officially the best Ballz handler on the forum, and in the top 1% in the world. Don't play it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Gradius V was one of their best.

This!
  • 71. Runner3 - Switch.  Probably not quite worth £8.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    IThe dice room is great too, recently pilfered in Cuphead. 

Yes - Cuphead was the first time I'd seen that.  Surprised I haven't come across it more, it's a great idea.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's ya 51 lads.  Surely can't fuck it from here...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    That's ya 51 lads.  Surely can't fuck it from here...

*Starts Kingdoms of Amalur*
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heh. I'm actually hoping to get a series of games to 90% complete so I can get on track early in 2019 :-p
  • 72. Rive: Ultimate Edition - Switch.

Glorious.
  • 11. Hollow Knight (Switch)

[10]

‘Nuff said.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    72. Rive: Ultimate Edition - Switch. Glorious.
    I need to pick that up again... At least there will be someone in the friends leaderboard to compare myself to. Think you're also the only one that went all the way to the end on Thumper Switch. Need to pick that up again too.

Thinking Mr. Shifty first (because a level only seems to be around 10 min), then either Rive or Thumper, then give Furi another try. Couldn't get past the first boss when I tried it once, but wasn't really focussed.
  • I'll probably get Mr. Shifty at some point, I've read that the Switch performance has been tweaked since launch.  Rive, Thumper, Furi - such games.  Furi's an odd one, because it was obscenely difficult by the fourth stage (I thought so at any rate) but the final third was a cakewalk, and not because I'd got good.  

You might like Titan Souls if you haven't tried it, although I think I liked that more than most (and only gave it a [7] myself, but there's something special there).
  • Don’t think I’ll make it into 20s this year. Should be able to count the following though at least with some effort:

FH4 (few more races and showdowns to do)
    SotC remaster (got distracted after 7 or 8 colossi)
    Resi 7 (owe it to Jon to finish this)
    LiS BtStorm (usual Xmas mammoth sesh should do it)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll probably get Mr. Shifty at some point, I've read that the Switch performance has been tweaked since launch.
    It's a bit of a weird one, I played the first two levels a couple weeks ago, can't remember any problems. Wanted to show B something and look at how the levels were build up, got frame rate problems in the second level. But only once, I died a couple times, but it seemed solid after that. Definitely wait for a sale I guess. I'm enjoying what I've played but I'm not very far in. Think Face played it on pc and said it was a good one.

I've got Titan Souls buried away somewhere in the steam list, I'll see if I get round to it.

I'm finding myself playing too much at the same time right now, need to focus and actually finish things.

Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS, Mr Shifty, Thumper, Furi, Rive, Splatoon DLC, Mario Odyssey, MHGU and Isaac on Switch, Horizon Zero Dawn on ps4.

All because of that damn switch sale a while ago, added 3 games I knew I wasn't gonna play right away (Shifty, Thumper and Furi, but they all had some elements I wanted to play as they were kinda similar to something B and I are making. That is also the reason I hardly played anything this month, game jam should be over this weekend and then I can go back to afternoon sessions of Horizon and Isaac).

And for Splatoon, the DLC is different in structure and everything than the main campaign. The main campaign guides you through the weapons, had some good levels and bosses but it's pretty much a learning curve. The DLC has all the challenges and is quite some steps up from the campaign (which I enjoyed). DLC feels a bit more freestyle than the more structured campaign.

• You're making something similar?  Top secret at the mo?

73. Minit - Switch.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Not top secret, more of a hot mess. The theme for the gamejam is hybrid, and I wanted some kind of strategy game with street fighter controls (full circle motion to set up defensive barrier, half circle for a 180 degree sword slash, charge motion for a longer distance attack etc), but B quickly warned me that those controls are hard to program. It turned a bit more towards a turn based rhythm game, but after playing Crypt of the Necrodancer and not getting on with that one, that idea was tossed aside too.

We're now at the rhythm golf stage. You're this fella with a hammer, and can do a charged attack which freezes time, gives you a cursor to lock on targets and you will automatically shift towards them when you release the trigger. At each shift you'll have a chance of hitting a button and pressing a direction for the enemy to smash him in, timed on the beat.

It's very much at the starting phase still, everything is placeholder but most of the gameplay elements are there now. I guess I'll post whatever we have when the gamejam finishes end of November, see what people think of it and if it has actually potential. It has been fun but also quite draining.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds cool! I remember when I used to code :-(
  • Nex Machina

Much like with Gunstar, I've only scratched the surface, and can so far only beat it on easy mode using a dozen continues.  Gorgeous twin stick shooter and I don't feel at all qualified to talk about it.  Still, I have seen the credits so I can put it on the list without much guilt.  Not done with this one yet though.

Streets Of Rage 2.  I'm not proud of this but I only played it again because it takes an hour to win, and I won't complete 52 games unless I do this.  Well, it is my favourite of the old fashioned side scrolling beat em ups.  Awesome game.  Only problems with it are when you are bashing some guy and knock him off the side of the screen, and you have to wait for him to stop fart arsing around and come back.  Also level 6 is a bit rubbish and looks worse than everything else in the game.  Everything else is gold.  I played as Max.  Favourite sound effect: when you clock someone across the head with a lead pipe.
  • Peggle 2 and Gorogoa added. Now on to Darkest Dungeon.
  • 49: Dark Souls on Switch

It's not the ideal way to play (ie: if you're playing online, you can't put the console to sleep without disconnecting, and you really do need to play it in a darkened room for many of the levels) but it's novel!  Had a great time playing it at lunchtime in the office, on the bus, and down at Dad's.

It's a classic and a personal favourite.  Can't bring myself to say much against it - there is still a bug, where you press attack and it will sometimes not register for a second, and I'm pretty much done with this 'sprint for 30-60 seconds from your save point to the boss fight' nonsense.  It holds up so well with the connected levels, the fighting, the awesome character and monster designs etc.  Took me 38 hours so I was very rusty.  Could remember the game step for step only until the Moonlight Butterfly, after that I knew what I needed to do and who I needed to fight, but couldn't hardly remember how to get there!  Loved the mental anguish of failing time after time on a boss fight, then coming back to it the next day with a clear head and having no problems.  Can imagine coming back to this every couple of years.
  • 74. Splatoon 2. 

Much fun was had.
  • 12. GRIS (Switch)

I gave it an [8]
  • 75, Gris for me too.  Also an [8].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm nearing the end of #52, bringing it home just in time...

Next year for the hat-trick. Not sure it's very likely though, got my eye on a few longer games, but need to get plotting... I assume there'll be a 2019 thread?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So I'm nearing the end of #52, bringing it home just in time...

Next year for the hat-trick. Not sure it's very likely though, got my eye on a few longer games, but need to get plotting... I assume there'll be a 2019 thread?

Course there will be! Need to update my list massively but I’ve still not made it this year. Keep playing games that are far too long!
  • Just got to 52 last year, and this year, without having a target, I've ended up on 26.

Basically I've given up on things that I haven't enjoyed much, rather than pushing on to finish them for the sake of it, and have taken more time over others, rather than pushing on to finish them and start something new.
  • Best approach, Jon. I’m happy with my list this year in terms of not playing any random shit. Had the discipline to give up on Dead cells, but not Tomb Raider. Could’ve saved time by giving up early on it. Never mind.
  • Wife and kids will be away for a week so I’m gonna have a late flurry of activity.
  • I'll probably do it again next year. Red Dead 2 is quite a package but that nagging 'late coursework' feeling when I think about getting it done is pushing me towards more of the stuff I've been doing. Retail games are often way too big now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!