52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • 4 with Undertale.  Never again, I'm done with RPGs forever.
  • Stick to the likes of Rive, mate.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Andy wrote:
    Witch wan?

1. Super Exploding Zoo. (PS4) - As I mentioned, started this in 2015, but finally finished it tonight. Oddly, there isn't a trophy for completion, which is probably a good thing as the game crashed almost immediately as the credits came up. It's a fun puzzle game that's enjoyable without ever getting massively deep. You collect zoo animals, and direct them towards aliens who are trying to eat an egg. Obviously.

Different animals do different things and are worth a different amount of alien health. There is enough variety to keep it fresh, although some things get introduced quite late and barely used, which feels odd. I'd recommend it as something to fill in a few minutes here and there rather than one to make a session of. It's cross platform with Vita, which I haven't tried it on, but suspect it might make a good pre-bedtime game.
  • 3. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Copied from Just Completed.
    Stopharage wrote:
    Wolfenstein 2 The New Collossus completed.

Oh I really wanted to love this...the story, characters and cutscenes are some of the best I have ever seen and I fell in love with all the characters. It was so anarchic and mental and over the top yet full of character and excellent writing. In fact the game did so much right: the music is stellar, the main bad guy is gloriously evil and it has absolute moments of magic in the game - including a mid game twist that is wonderfully twisted and insane. And then you start actually playing...dull missions, dull levels, dull combat and awful difficulty spikes. I have never known a game be so good yet so frustratingly bad too.

I’ve just finished this as well and agree with most of this. Atmosphere, setting, script and characters were excellent throughout. Gameplay was mostly great. But it became quite repetitive and there were quite a few sections that appeared to be allowing you the opportunity to stealth them. Then making it almost impossible to do so; guards with x-ray vision, silencers that evidently weren’t truly silent etc. There was a cut scene where a character exposes themselves for no obvious reason. The sheer amount of collectibles was a bit much although the lore was terrific and helped to develop your appreciation for the plot and setting. Whilst some parts grated there were enough fun times within to qualify for a 8/10. There’s an awful lot of content available within the game beyond the story.

Also, one book down - The Boy on the Bridge.
  • 1. Hob. PS4.

It grew and grew on me but there’s something still a little hollow about it. It looks beautiful but runs like a dog and crashed numerous times - the most annoying of which was when I’d powered through the stupid end game fight - that was rather unlike much of the rest of the game - only for the game to crash out right as the final finishing cinematic was kicking in and thus explaining to me wtaf the whole game I’d just spent 12 hours fucking about in was actually about. Brilliant. Cheers for that.

I’m counting that as completion even though I didn’t actually get to see the ending. 51 to go.
  • Updated with Sine Mora EX, which makes 5.  Oh noes, I seem to be going for it again this year after promising myself I'd ease off.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, didn't like it that much? I might be interested if you're gonna sell it ;) even when you're review's not selling it.

Did you pay handheld or TV?
  • I’m trying to play Thumper and Resi Rev 2 handheld. Not really buying into either.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Got Thumper in pc, really should start that this year. If it's good enough it might get bought on Switch too, for holidays /plane trips
  • Nina wrote:
    Got Thumper in pc, really should start that this year. If it's good enough it might get bought on Switch too, for holidays /plane trips

Tried it in VR, it was ok but not something I’d choose to play over everything else. For a tenner I thought it’d be a good portable game but not sold yet.
  • Nina wrote:
    Hm, didn't like it that much? I might be interested if you're gonna sell it ;) even when you're review's not selling it. Did you pay handheld or TV?

All handheld, undocked performance was very good (loses a tiny bit of sharpness though, maybe).  It felt more suited to the letterbox mode that isn't default, so I played through with the borders.  I thought it was a bit odd that there's a chunk of the screen at the top and bottom you can't steer the craft into (I'm not talking about the ratio, just an invisible barrier), but I forgot about it once I got going and I'm 90% sure it's supposed to be like that on all systems.  It's going for £18 used on Amazon, would do £13 delivered to a badger?  It'd help fund Glof Story.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Give me a day to think about it. Just remembered you usually don't like to sent overseas (I can give an US or EU address, maybe my brother likes to give it a try first), so let me know if that's a problem.
  • I can do it once in a blue moon from work (to EU), post room Barry is quite reliable these days.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Thought this might be of use to anyone doing the 'one game a week' challenge. It was mentioned in this month's EDGE - Completionator. It keeps track of your backlog and allows you to set goals, etc. It can import your Steam and GOG lists automatically, but console titles will need adding by hand.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • 2. Doom (PS4) - The bulk of the work on this was done last year, but I thought a cheeky run tonight would keep me at the 1/week ratio. If you haven't played Doom, play Doom. It's probably the best FPS released this decade. A relentless lunge forwards through a seemingly never ending bunch of hell demons, it's gleefully throws all the genre's conventions out of the window to let you get to the important stuff. Which is blasting hell demons in the face of course. I cannot recommend this more highly. I suspect that during design, there was a whiteboard with "is it fun?" written on it, and whenever anyone suggested something, they were referred to the board first of all, and possibly fed to a hell demon if the answer wasn't yes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why is @bollockoff not declaring his bossing of it in here?
  • Right, well, I’ve done a list of 19 to be getting on with. Quite a lot of open world stuff in there though - how I’m going to manage half of it with PUBG and BF1 in the wings I don’t know.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Vere, can you add a link for me to the OP please? I’m on the third page.

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/2115/52-games-in-a-year-challenge-2018/p3
  • Gremill wrote:
    Vere, can you add a link for me to the OP please? I’m on the third page.

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/2115/52-games-in-a-year-challenge-2018/p3

Of course dude! Done!
  • Me too please, I'm on the same page.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Me too please, I'm on the same page.

SOWTED! Anymore that ive missed just say. Still need to get a list sorted of last years numbers. If it’s not too much of an ask, if you took part last year send me a message with your total and I’ll make a list of it and update it as we go forward.
  • 2. Zelda : Link to the Past
    Another one where I can’t remember how far I got originally. Definitely not completed properly though (I played it with my brother, he was older, I was shit and would die often so my participation got phased out the longer it went on). Not going to bother writing much. I’ve probably not got much I can add to what everyone already knows and thinks. The dungeons remain top drawer. I don’t have the patience for the overworld secret hunt though and honestly found that a bit of a chore. The game seemed bewilderingly enormous when I was young, now it’s tediously spread out. It’s not even that big really, just dense with secrets and lots of backtracking as each new item unlocks new bits all over the map. I think this post proves I have no soul now. I liked it a lot despite that.

Going to try a game I haven’t played before for the next one.
  • Is super castlevania any good in this day and age? I’ve only ever played the game boy one which isn’t.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    SOWTED! Anymore that ive missed just say. Still need to get a list sorted of last years numbers. If it’s not too much of an ask, if you took part last year send me a message with your total and I’ll make a list of it and update it as we go forward.
    I've started a post on page 2 as well, despite saying I wouldn't. Still not trying to complete loads of stuff, but nice to keep track.
  • monkey wrote:
    Is super castlevania any good in this day and age? I’ve only ever played the game boy one which isn’t.
    I loved it back in the day, was fantastic and amazing soundrack.
    Wouldn'tind opinion if you play thru, if it holds up etc.
  • monkey wrote:
    Is super castlevania any good? I’ve only ever played the game boy one which isn’t.
    Short answer is yes. I don't like as much as some of Konami's SNES output (play Contra/Probotector first), but it's well worth playing. The slow movement and some instant deaths can be annoying.
  • Finished Oxenfree, post updated.
  • I played Bloodlines and IV properly for the first time a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed both.  It's definitely enjoyable as a first time experience, with a few save states.
  • Playing Darksiders 2 now - quite enjoying it.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Hello!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!