52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
‹ Previous12345
  • ZRSnxA.jpg

A thread for badgers that fancy trying to play 52 games in a year to whatever they decide is some form of completion. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update on your progress. Just please don't fill it with pointless conversation as the posts will be quite big. Even if you're not gonna make it to 52 it's a good way to record all your completions/failures/hates.

5bCvdx.jpg

How do I take part?

Claim a post! Write down the game and your thoughts about each one in this format for your post:

1: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
    # INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

How do I know when I've completed a game?

Up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it no ending or a multiplayer game. Replays count as long as all the games are completed in 2018.

Do I have to record time?

No.

Do I have to review or comment on the games I complete?

No but it'd be nice to give a few words or maybe a quick score. Full blown reviews or mini-reviews aren't necessary and will just make it an incredibly big post,though they will be anyway.

Do episodic games count as a single game or X amount of games?

That's up to you. It's alright to count something like Life is Strange as one or five games. Your choice.

Can I finish a game I started in 1992 and count that?

Yes.

What should I do once I've completed the challenge?

Shoot me a PM! If it takes off I'm more than happy to sort out a prize system?

Is there a deadline?

End of the current year!!!!

TTxmyl.jpg

People who have completed the challenge will be posted here, please send me a PM once you’re done!

Winners and in what year:

Others results in past Years:
    Verecocha: 17-38
    Hylian Elf: 17-25

Quick Links to lists:
    Muzzy
    Birdorf
    Pea
    Elf
    Workid
    Monkey
    Digi
    Nina
    Webbins
    Andy
    Uncle
    Dante
    Redeye
    Cinty
    Stoph
    Rave
    Wario
    Grem
    Moot
    JonB
    Uncle
    Nana
  • 1: PUBG/Battlegrounds
    - 10 hours - 9/10 - No Achievements Available -
    This is gonna take so much of my time this year. Perfect for a quick hour here and there, perfect for pass the pad, it’s even turned out perfect for pass the pad with the wife and a friends wife whilst they’ve been around as it’s so easy to play, simply difficult to win. Technical issues are put to one side as the addictive and super tense nature of it is awesome.
    2578FCD8-F1EB-445B-8940-89DD38D8568A.jpg

2: Dead Rising 4
    - 10 hours - 8/10 - 240/1000 -
    What awesome fun. Pure, simple fun, little batshit story and plenty of fun. The little investigation areas are nice and easy, the cases and safe houses a nice addition, but it all boils down to crazy weapons and vehicles and mowing down tons of zombies. Very easy and straightforward but with all the serious games we play, this is such a nice time sink. Loved it and might play some of the DLC at some point.
    68D5F0A4-1FBB-49B0-AEED-B041B3C9617D.jpg

3: Dead Rising 3
    - 10 hours - 6/10 - 510/1000 -
    Thank goodness that’s over. Thought I’d go back to it after loving my time in DR4, almost wish I hadn’t. Shows it’s age visually, the controls are slow and unresponsive, the lead is a bore, the story isn’t even fun, the map is awful to traverse, the vehicles handle awfully etc etc. Just had such little fun with this, I remember why I tried it at launch and gave up. Nothing very positive to say about this game, especially after 4. 1 and 4 are great, 2 and 4 awful.
    77108E75-DA3C-4A40-BA5B-7CC648C7B06D.jpg

Currently playing : Here They Lie VR,
    Gears 4 Co-Op, LA Noire, South Park, Ass Creed Origins, Shadow of War, Forza 7

Next up: ?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Woo

2018 then:

Games

1 - Valiant Heats - scored [7] - 1/52
    2 - 10 Second Ninja X - scored [7] - 2/52
    3 - Hook - scored [7] - 3/52
    4 - LYNE
    5 - Cross Set
    6 - 

(Running total: [21])

Coming soon: Stuff from the Fiscal Prudence thread (here), DkS 3 DLC, GoW4, Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Resi 4, Pandora's Tower, Downwell, Monkey Island 1 & 2 Remastered, Grim Fandango Remastered, Day of the Tentacle Remastered,Trine 1-3, Catherine, Rogue Legacy, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, Sleeping Dogs, Binding of Isaac, Gravity Rush, Stealth Inc 2, Transistor, Valiant Hearts, Broforce, Magicka 1&2, Kentucky Route Zero, 1001 Spikes, Remember Me, Catherine, MGS V/GZ, Danganronpa, DmC, Dust, From Dust, Gears of War (1-4), God of War, Hitman (early ones), Splinter Cell, I Am Alive, Outlast,  SotC HD, Styx, Thief, The Crew, Ys, Yakuza, XCOM, Suikoden, TWD (s2), The Evil Within, The Banner Saga, Sniper Elite, Richard & Alice, Hydrophobia, Gunpoint, Else Heart.Break(), Door Kickers, Malicious, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castevania: Lord of Shadows, No Time to Explain

Books

1 - Thieves on the Fen
    2 - 

Movies / series

1 - Line of Duty (s3)
    2 - 

My 2017 link: here (73 played, 59 completed, [369]; 25 books; 33 shows/movies)
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm in.
    PSN/XBox/WiiU/Steam: Birdorf -- 3DS: 4382 3173 0928
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    1. Pacman Championship Edition DX+ - I got the achievement for 'completing' on NYE, but it didn't feel like I was done with it. Unlocked some more courses with Mrs Pea since and aside from improving our scores I feel i can count this as done. We've had loads of fun playing it together and will continue for quite some time. 9/10

2. Mario Odyssey
    I'm counting this as done because I'll never get all the moons. Will continue to chip away as its just great fun to pop on for a blast for 20 mins. Absolutely loved it, and the first Mario platform game I've enjoyed aside from Maker. 10/10

3. Golf Story
    Started to drag towards the end if I'm honest, but still incredibly enjoyable and fun. Superb sense of humour throughout, I haven't laughed at a game like that for a good while. 8/10

IN PROGRESS

Breath of the Wild (Barely started), Spintires Mudrunner (Nearly done all maps), Assassins Creed Origins (Nearing the end), PUBG, Human Fall Flat (Nearing the end), Snipperclips(One section done), Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Need to get Team Awesome back together as we are really far in).
    Hairlo?
  • So far in 2018:

1. Year Walk (iOS)

Tech bonus, buy less than 10 games in the year. Bought so far:

"But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Why not. Kicking off with SM Odyssey.
  • In. 

Games Completed 
    2016: 5
    2017: 4
    2018 Target: 52

1. Super Mario Kart
    Yes Super Mario Kart. I owned this originally, I don't know how many cups I won but I doubt I'd ever got gold in the 150cc Special Cup. Maybe I did but whatever skill I had back then had disappeared when I came to play it again. I had to re-learn how to play. Pretty unforgiving by today's standards and the last cup is what would probably be today called a difficulty spike. Anyway, after lots of trying I got it. Credits rolled. It’s still genius, and having played same room MP with a pod of mates over Xmas, it still holds up in that regard as well.

Too punishing for me to properly get good at though. Different times back then when playing courses over and over to properly nail it was just a natural part of the thing. Too little time and too many other distractions now.

Anyway, Zelda:LTTP should be finished soon too.

2. Zelda : Link to the Past
    Another one where I can’t remember how far I got originally. Definitely not completed properly though (I played it with my older brother, he was older, I was shit and would die often so got phased out the longer it went on). Not going to bother writing much. I’ve probably not got much I can add to what everyone already knows and thinks. The dungeons remain top drawer. I don’t have the patience for the overworld secret hunt though and honestly found that a bit of a chore. The game seemed bewilderingly enormous when I was young, now it’s tediously spread out. It’s not even that big really, just dense with secrets and lots of backtracking as each new item unlocks new bits all over the map. I think this post proves I have no soul now. I liked it a lot despite that.

3. Super Castlevania
    Ok in a word. I used saved states frequently. 'Of its time' is the best way to describe this. Lot of frustrating bits in here, you jump on a ledge, a bat comes out of nowhere, knocks you back into a pit of insta-death, and then you restart at some bit that you were at bloody ages ago. The enemies don't really change much or get more challenging, the difficulty comes from avoiding the bloody bats, not making careless mistakes and a trial and error, death and repeat loop. Made for a different time when that was part of the challenge rather than just being annoying. But even within that there are some cheap deaths to be had. That's the bad. 

The slowness of whichever Belmont is featured here wasn't too much of a problem. He's got limited moves but you can pull them off quickly when you need to, the special weapons help and he's pretty nimble at jumping around the place. The bosses are good (as long as you're save stating as soon as they show up). Some are on the easy side, some are on the controller-throwing, tantrum-inducing side. And there's moments when it really comes alive and must have been technically impressive at the time as well. The final run towards Dracula was a good bit. There's a few other moments but they can be a bit few and far between. Most of it is whipping bats and skeletons and plodding around a bit. The soundtrack is great. I didn't think much of it at first but it really grew on me and was a proper ear-wormer by the end.

By save stating it I think I denied myself the best bit. The anxiety of trying to do the whole level with quite precise timing and tricky bits while only taking a few hits and the relief and elation when you finally do it and move onto the next bit. Some of these older games are built around that. But it wasn't entertaining enough for me to play it that way. I'll do it with megaman but those games are fun. This was just fun sometimes. Definitely an easy [8] by early 90s standards, maybe higher. I'd give it a 6 or 7 now.
  • Il be in again but i have such a little attention span im still completing games from many moons ago.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Games with no real end point that I'll be playing in 2018:
    1 - Splatoon 2 200+ hours and counting, gotta grind that perfect ability gear
    2 - Monster Hunter Generations 100+ hours and counting, gotta grind that awesome looking gear
    3 - Monster Hunter World

Completed:
    4 - What Remains of Edith Finch
    Just Completed

Currently Playing:
    5 - NieR Automata Am at some point in the second playthrough

Played at some point and want to go back to:
    6 - Fire Emblem Awakening Think I'm at chapter 6
    7 - Mario 3D Land I just suck at platformers
    8 - Rhythm Paradise Am actually close to the end but didn't put enough time in to learn the, ehh, timings
    9 - Yoshi's and Poochy's Wooly World I even suck at Yoshi platformers

Already own these but never played:
    10 - Assassin's Creed 2
    11 - Binary Domain
    12 - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
    13 - Bioshock Infinite
    14 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    15 - Bulletstorm
    16 - Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    17 - Dear Esther
    18 - Deus EX Human Revolution
    19 - DmC: Devil May Cry
    20 - DOOM
    21 - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
    22 - Firewatch
    23 - Furi
    24 - Grim Fandango Remastered
    25 - Hollow Knight
    26 - Hyper Light Drifter
    27 - Kentucky Route Zerp
    28 - Never Alone
    29 - Night in the Woods
    30 - Ori and the Blind Forest
    31 - Papers, Please
    32 - The Stanley Parable
    33 - Steamworld Heist
    34 - Thumper
    35 - Transistor
    36 - Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    37 - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    38 - The Witcher 3
    39 - Killzone Mercenaries 
    40 - Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Vita)
    41 - Tearaway
    42 - Bravely Default
    43 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
    44 - Dragon Quest IX
    45 - Ghost Trick
    46 - Gunman Clive 1 + 2
    47 - Link's Awakening
    48 - Metroid Samus Returns
    49 - Star Fox 3D
    50 - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    51 - Killzone Shadowfall
    52 - Until Dawn
    53 - Okami HD
    54 - Bloodborne
    55 - Hotline Miami 1 & 2 (Vita)
    56 - Steamworld Dig 
    57 - Persona 4 Dancing All Night Long
  • In!

1. Back to the Future: The Game - 30th Anniversary Edition
    16th December - 6th January
    If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have started this game.  Remember the inspiring, energetic, exciting and humorous 1985 film original?  This game cannot be described the same, and I wonder why this needed the Telltale treatment.  Such an odd fit to take the BttF concept and boil it down into these five meandering, dull episodes of fetch quests and conversations.  Meant as a follow on from the trilogy, the references in the titter free script only serve to remind you of the superiority of the films.  I don't like to wail on games and always like to find some positives but I struggled with most aspects of this. 4

2. What Remains of Edith Finch
    6th January - 7th January
    The tragic tale of the Finch family, each member's fate played out in vignettes uncovered as you play as Edith, exploring the old family home after an absence.  Such a wonderfully inventive, imaginative and creative game.  The house has a starring role, the nooks and crannies, the way you work your way through the house itself, the level of detail almost overwhelming at times.  Such is your desire to take it all in, the information you don't want to miss.  Despite the tragedy, I never felt too mournful until the end, each story unfurls but is dealt with so creatively as if to distract you from the impending doom.  I almost wish the game had sought to wring more solemn emotions from me as in Gone Home or Life is Strange, but I couldn't fault the level of imagination on show, in particularly the later stories.  Great storytelling, with maybe a few issues spread across the tales that you could object to, but otherwise excellent. 9

3. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition
    20th January
    It would seem I have a thing for walking simulators, so when the OG came up for a few quid in a sale, I thought I would see how it all started.  First impressions were positive, this is a refreshed version of a relatively old game, but the look of the Hebridean island has a abandoned beauty to it.  The music was excellent too, its minimal, haunting melody adding to the derelict desolation.  Although the underlying story is not spelt out to the player, there is a visual narrative that I picked up which I invested in emotionally and the whole experience was beautiful yet poignant.  I am playing through a second time with the developer commentary on, having also missed certain 'elements' first time round, I am certainly looking out for them now. 8

To finish:
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
    Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    Homefront: The Revolution
    Mad Max
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Resident Evil
    Hand of Fate
    Layers of Fear
    Spintires: Mud Runner
    SuperHot
    The Evil Within
    The Long Dark
    The Witcher 3
    Titanfall 2

To play (Pile of Shame):
    Child of Eden
    Doom
    Gears of War 4
    Get Even
    Halo 5
    Mafia III
    Mass Effect 2
    Outlast
    Quantum Break
    Resident Evil 7
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
    Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill 3
    Silent Hill: Downpour
    Silent Hill: Homecoming
    The Banner Saga
    The Banner Saga 2
    The Turing Test
    The Walking Dead Season 1
    The Walking Dead Season 2
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    I doubt I’ll make anything like 52. Let’s see.

1.  Little InfernoSwitchThoughts.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not feeling quite so bullish this year, but i'll give it a go, and may ahem claim my excess of 7 from last year as a starter of 7 this year if i get past 45 but not as high as 52!

I've updated my post (third in) in anticipation, where you get there, vere
  • Given my abject failure last year and the fact I've moved consoles and I'm back to playing Fifa almost solely, I'll stay out of this.

Best of luck to all.
    Let's go exploring....
  • I’m in on this.  It may focus my attention.

1. Hob. PS4.
    Around 10 hours or so to completion. Quite enjoyed it. Crashed a lot. Including on the final cinematic that was gonna explain the entire thing to me. 7/10.

2. Subsurface Circular.
    About 2 hours to completion. Lovely short game from Blithell. Point and clicker with much to consider. Does struggle from the typical genre problem of sometimes just clicking through all the text options to progress the story though. Doesn’t outstay it’s welcome however and done and dusted within a couple of hours. 7/10.

3. Black The Fall. PS4.
    On with this at the mo. Feels like a less charming inside.
  • Enjoyed doing this once, and just about hit the target, but that's enough for me. Think I want to take my time on a smaller number of really good games this year.

Good luck everyone.
  • I'm in again.

1. Super Exploding Zoo. (PS4) - As I mentioned, started this in 2015, but finally finished it tonight. Oddly, there isn't a trophy for completion, which is probably a good thing as the game crashed almost immediately as the credits came up. It's a fun puzzle game that's enjoyable without ever getting massively deep. You collect zoo animals, and direct them towards aliens who are trying to eat an egg. Obviously.

Different animals do different things and are worth a different amount of alien health. There is enough variety to keep it fresh, although some things get introduced quite late and barely used, which feels odd. I'd recommend it as something to fill in a few minutes here and there rather than one to make a session of. It's cross platform with Vita, which I haven't tried it on, but suspect it might make a good pre-bedtime game.

2. Doom (PS4) - The bulk of the work on this was done last year, but I thought a cheeky run tonight would keep me at the 1/week ratio. If you haven't played Doom, play Doom. It's probably the best FPS released this decade. A relentless lunge forwards through a seemingly never ending bunch of hell demons, it's gleefully throws all the genre's conventions out of the window to let you get to the important stuff. Which is blasting hell demons in the face of course. I cannot recommend this more highly. I suspect that during design, there was a whiteboard with "is it fun?" written on it, and whenever anyone suggested something, they were referred to the board first of all, and possibly fed to a hell demon if the answer wasn't yes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm in.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm one down already!  

(But only cos I happened to have already got to the right place over the last couple of nights...)
  • In.

This is my post, all you dirty fucks keep your hands off it. Except Vere, he can touch whatever he wants.
  • Trying to get 52 last year sapped my will on occasions but I did try out stuff that people had recommended/PS Plus & Gold games that I may not have tried. 

This year, I'm not interested in whether I hit 52 games by the end of the year, but I'm going to use it to complete the backlog I've accumulated over the last few years. Not going to commit to refraining from purchasing new releases, but going to be much more reticent to splash the cash until a lot of this backlog is annihilated. 

With that in mind, these titles will be attempted this year (bold are completed):-

1. Edith Finch. Completed on New Year's Day and absolutely adored. If I manage to enjoy a game as much as this in the rest of the year I'll be really pleased. Adored it. 10/10.
    2. Wolfenstein II. The New Colossus. 8/10
    3. Nier: Automata
    4. Resident Evil 7
    5. Darksiders 2
    6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    7. Amnesia: Justine
    8. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    9. Doom
    10. Enter the Gungeon
    11. Final Fantasy XV
    12. Hitman
    13. Hotline Miami
    14. Salt and Sanctuary
    15. Steamworld Heist
    16. The Evil Within
    17. The Talos Principle
    18. Zombi
    19. Mario Odyssey
    20. Pyre
    21. Norwood Suite
    22. Night in the Woods
    23. Everything
    24. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    25. Shrouded Isle
    26. Hellblade
    27. Life is Strange 2
    28. Blackwood Crossing
    29. Hidden Folks
    30. Last Days of June
    31. Nex Machina
    32. Echo
    33. Another Lost Phone
    34. Knee Deep
    35. Let Them Come
    36. The Sexy Brutale
    37. Tacoma
    38. Observer
    39. Gorogoa
    40. Emily is Away Too
    41. West of Loathing. Stickmen graphics, genuinely amusing throughout, rpg/rts-lite, western which involves punching clowns, ghostly cows, jellybean theft and much more. Unlike anything I've ever played before. A gentle romp. 8/10.
    42. Butterfly Soup
    43. Back to the Future 
    44. Tokyo 42
    45. Cuphead
    46. Halo 4
    47. Grow Up
    48. Grow Home
    49. Kentucky Route Zero
    50. Rise of the Tomb Raider
    51. Dishonored 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you playing them in order Stoph? I'd recommend a gap between Grow Up and Home if so.

Good mix of games there though.
  • Are you playing them in order Stoph? I'd recommend a gap between Grow Up and Home if so. Good mix of games there though.

They were in the order that came to mind and were then on my PS4/XB1. Definitely will have a gap between those two then, cheers. Think I tried both but neither grasped my interest, although a fair few rave about them on here so will revisit.
  • I think I knew early doors that I wouldn't reach 52, and I don't think I will this year.  But it is interesting to document your completions and it has helped me focus.  Don't put pressure on yourselves to hit the target if it's going to affect your enjoyment, just see how you go.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • I never thought I would get near 52 in 2017 and definitely won’t in 2018, but I’m using this thread to keep track and see how many I can do. Gonna try and keep track of purchases here too.
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Webbins wrote:
    I think I knew early doors that I wouldn't reach 52, and I don't think I will this year.  But it is interesting to document your completions and it has helped me focus.  Don't put pressure on yourselves to hit the target if it's going to affect your enjoyment, just see how you go.

That’s the real win, keeping a record and documenting each game, if you hit 52 then great, but really it’s interesting seeing what you’ve played and where you’ve got year on year. If everyone pm’s me how man you’ve completed I’ll keep a tally year on year in the hall of Fame?
  • Nice list @stopharage. I look forward to hearing how you get on.
    Let's go exploring....
  • Stoph, that’s just about the dreamiest list of games I’ve seen.  I’ve done a lot of them on there and you’re gonna have a wonderful time.  Last days of June and Blackwood Crossing are standouts for me.
  • I've just made a list of 'to finish' and 'to play'.  Bone only, not even considered my 360 and I know there are many games on there I want to play.  Also just bought Get Even and Edith Finch from the sale so they are straight in.
  • I've got no chance.
  • Post it anyway. Nice to know what you are planning.
    Let's go exploring....
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!