The Good YouTubers thread
  • Facewon wrote:
    Are there actual good technical football/soccer vids on youtube?

Not sure how play diagramming works for soccer either. I know there's formations, but not sure what diagramming stuff looks like in soccer when it comes to player movement.

What I'm talking about above for basketball is awesome. Vids of different plays being run multiple times by multiple teams in combo with fastmodel which is an excellent program that let's you download/print edit the play diagram. It's golden for stealing ideas.

Dunno about youtube, but keepitonthedeck on Facebook are really good at posting vids from different professional teams from around the world, showing different training drills with diagrams and methods and whatnot. Also good single player breakdowns, but it's mostly deep-lying midfielders like Busquets, Iniesta and Alonso that get the spotlight.

A start, though.
  • Interesting. It's a cottage industry for basketball.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • ZMM wrote:
    I like Anthony Fantano's music reviews, I don't always agree with him, but he presents an interesting and in depth critique of stuff, usually.

I find him devoid of interesting stuff to say.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh I forgot about Ashens and his brown sofa. Reviews of old computers, random tech and poundland shite.

He was good until he started chumming it with other Youtubers and make it all a bit forced and shit-tier
  • Yeah not keen on all that stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I like the clips that are how-to instructional or making some kind of a/b quality testing attempt, mostly.

"How to"s are very useful.

Have changed a tumble dryer belt and also changed a very awkward brake light using youtube content. Some cooking tips too - those basic things you need to know about before tackling a recipe , the author of which makes assumptions about basic skills.

Those stick out but I'm sure I've achieved other stuff using "how to" content. They at least point you in the right direction.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I forgot about Ashens and his brown sofa. Reviews of old computers, random tech and poundland shite.
    He was good until he started chumming it with other Youtubers and make it all a bit forced and shit-tier

This.

prefer his older stuff.
  • Few more I'll pop in. Ones that I don't watch every video they make but I've enjoyed some of what they have made.

KimJustice
    Occasionally get the odd good one about British gaming companies in the 80's, or random football games from the PS1 era. Her voice can grate, but she's smart and passionate and I like that.

MarleyThirteen
    Scottish cod demon that's occasionally very funny, especially when he go's God mode on noobs. Nice guy on twitter too. Like to see a local lad make it.

Gamesack
    Like the aforementioned MetalJesusRocks (whom they parody, a lot) just a couple of guys going through their massive collection and offering thoughts. Different subject heading each video, always nice and lengthy. I find MJR to be too nicey nicey "ok guysss so hey what's up", and these guys often strike the right tone between that, actual laughs, and self-deprecation.

And I was just getting into DrDisrespect before he had all that personal stuff happen. He's ridiculously funny at times. Made me want PUBG.

Other than that, I can only really recommend mma/ufc stuff.
  • If someone else read Kim Justice's scripts, it might be ok, but her voice is just the absolute worst.

Well, second worst, WrestleLamia is the absolute worst.
  • If someone else could write them, too, that’d be grand. Christ, she’s painfully unfunny.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A few subs I keep returning to:

Gameplay and Talk - this guy is a skilled gamer no matter what the genre. Just has a nice style about him that makes him easy to listen to.

John's Arcade and TNT Amusements - covering dedicated cabs and pinball

Shooting Game Weekly in depth shmups and sometimes covers other score attack games.

Vintage Space for all things Apollo

Technology Connections - old school TV and audio

lampyman101 - non mainstream film. VHS collecting.
  • I like Vintage Space.
  • Also The Food Surgeon if fucking mental.

• Thanks for the vid recs peeps. Especially the Tempy ones, they look interesting.
  • Wife's verdict on Food Surgeon : "fucking creepy".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Wife's verdict on Food Surgeon : "fucking creepy".

Was kind of expecting a bit more accuracy with the cutting to be honest.

Shouldn't be watching it as it only gives me ideas - wanted to try that Reece / Oreo hybrid and I'm really not allowed that stuff.
  • I like that haven't already been mentioned:

AvE - A Canadian man who takes things apart in his 'shop.
    iDubzz - Content Cop say no more.
    FoamerSimpson - Trainers and decent bants.
    SteveMRE1989 - 30 minute episodes of eating old rations, I cant stop watching it, man is a don. NICE.
    FilthyFrankTV - RIP he just announced he was quitting his channel. Trigger warning - I think a lot of you will find him to be a prick, but the lore that developed over the years was amazing.
    AvoidingThePuddle - The best fightman, dark souls and whatever channel ever. Super good vibes and mainly all the best bits of his stream.
    FirstWeFeast - HOT ONES. The best spicy chicken wing eating interview format ever!!!
    BonAppetite - But specifically the 'Its Alive' series or anything else with Brad Leone in. Awesome cookery stuff, usually about fermenting things. Fascinating.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh also TokyoCooney the best Japanese vlog from 10 years ago. I wish he'd come back. Well worth a watch even though it's super old now.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    FilthyFrankTV - RIP he just announced he was quitting his channel. Trigger warning - I think a lot of you will find him to be a prick, but the lore that developed over the years was amazing.

It's amazing, I don't even need to watch a single video to know that he's a complete and utter cunt.
  • Roujin wrote:

It's amazing, I don't even need to watch a single video to know that he's a complete and utter cunt.

I know, it's a tough sell. Pink guy is certainly something though.

• I watch a lot of Youtube.  It's mostly shite to pass the time but some channels have a bit more to them that makes them easier to recommend.

For photography stuff:

Thomas Heaton.  A recurring theme among Youtube photographers is that they start of doing personal stuff that resonates with people that changes to far less relatable, sponsored (almost always be Squarespace) content once they reach a certain amount of subscribers.  This guy is no different.  Instead of wandering about the Lake District, these days he gets trips to Namibia paid for in return for a bit of plugging.  It's far less interesting to watch.  That said, he is still one of the better ones.

Matt Day.  Does a lot of stuff with film and older cameras.

Mads Peters Iverson.  Recently found this guy.  Travels about a lot and does some good stuff regarding his framing and lighting where he talks through the frame while he's filming it live, instead of talking over an edited, still image later on.  Good if you wanted to learn a bit about framing shots a bit better.

Sean Tucker.  This video here is great.  Rarely do Youtubers go into any depth when it comes to photography.  It doesn't get the views needed to get the sponsorship.  So we get unboxings and various other shite.  This guy was doing things differently and really was a level above everyone else.  Right up until he got himself sponsored by Squarespace.  Since then we've had 'how to' videos and a 'why I switched cameras' video (another guarantee of big views) but I have a small hope that one day he'll return to doing higher quality stuff.

Ted Forbes.  Same deal as the rest.  Clearly took a 'how to Youtube' class and started with clickbait titles and started hanging around with other Youtubers in NYC.  Which was all a bit tragic as he's twice their age.  That said, if you're prepared to sift through the shite ("THE ONE SECRET Lightroom feature EVERY photographer should be using"), you can find some good stuff.

That's all for the photography stuff.  Like I said, none of it ever gets too in depth because a niche show doesn't make money and most of these guys are wedding/family photographers trying to escape that life.  Until some independently wealthy person with a passion for photography comes along to give themselves something to do, we'll likely always get unchallenging stuff designed to appeal to the masses.

Other things I like:

• Blimey Matt. Enough gold there to keep me amused for months.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    SteveMRE1989 - 30 minute episodes of eating old rations, I cant stop watching it, man is a don. NICE.

Liking this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!