The D I Y Thread - Making a house a Home..
‹ Previous12345
  • We are all good with our fingers in terms of games 

Are we good with our hands??

I'm decorating the nursery and the second bedroom. 

I've someone managed to agree to wallpapering one of the walls as a feature wall.

I've wallpapered before but I would appreciate some tips from the MEN of the forum. 

Should I paste the wall, or paste the paper or paste both of them?

whaddya think?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The ONLY thing I know about wallpaper is that (depending on the paper) it changes size once you've applied the paste so you should (I think) paste each sheet five minutes before you apply it to the wall.  I just paid a man to wallpaper my spare bedroom though, because I'm not man enough to do it myself, so what do I know?
  • The ONLY thing I know about wallpaper is that (depending on the paper) it changes size once you've applied the paste so you should (I think) paste each sheet five minutes before you apply it to the wall.  I just paid a man to wallpaper my spare bedroom though, because I'm not man enough to do it myself, so what do I know?

Thank you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I thought wallpaper had evolved beyond paste and is a nice, neat, soak-it-in-water-and-pop-it-on-the-wall type deal now?
  • Perhaps, though the man that did it for me last week used paste.
  • I'm more spazz hands than jazz hands when it comes to D.I.Y. I'm afraid.

hopeless

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    I'm more spazz hands than jazz hands when it comes to D.I.Y. I'm afraid. hopeless g.man

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

another illusion shattered...
  • I will solder anything whether it likes it or no.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm happy to do anything around the house, though it wouldn't surprise me on other forums my handiwork shows up in their "cowboy" thread

However hanging paper is just an absolute bastard, can't stand it, proper does my wick in. I always just line the walls and paint them, far easier. Anything patterned in any way, get a bloke (or burd) in
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Should I paste the wall, or paste the paper or paste both of them? whaddya think?

Usually that'll depend on the paper you're using, read the instructions.

I think that dunky stuff KRS is on about is only 1 particular type of paper, but I can't stand wallpapering personally, get the mother round to do it.

Love a bit of painting though, done the bedroom and living room so far in our new place, piece of piss as long as you buy quality paint.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Giving the walls a coat of magnolia at the moment. Missus persuaded me to try one of those Tommy Walsh paint pad/bug things. I was suspicious at first but they're much easier to use and a whole heap less messy than rollers. The paint goes further and you waste loads less as well.

As for wallpapering, as adored says it depends on the paper. Some (the cheap stuff) will be actual paper so you need to be mindful of paste absorption, other will be coated or made of a type of vinyl so you don't. It probably is worth buying the dearer stuff as rips are a strong possibility with the cheap stuff if it's your first go.

The pre-pasted ones krs mentioned are OK but an expensive way of avoiding something that isn't particularly hard to do.

Probs recommend buying the pre-mixed paste as that's a pain if you get it wrong.
  • Was painting the walls last night, the missus watered the paint down a bit and it went on a lot quicker and easier. got the whole room done in 2 hours. 

Biggest pain is getting the corners right - I used masking tape and patience to get the line perfect and waited until it fully dried before taking it off. 
    The result looked amazing, 
    Have to consider papering tonight but I'm just not looking forward to it. 
    I like to be left to get on with things and I'm not very good at taking advice when I'm halfway up a ladder breaking my back with a paint brush.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    B&Q used to have guide leaflets for things like wall papering which are a good start if you've never done it before. Not sure if they still do.
  • I've done it. Its like changing a tire on a car. 

A pain in the butt, but sometimes necessary.
  • Glossing tonight .. Hell on a brush.
  • I've done it. Its like changing a tire on a car.  A pain in the butt, but sometimes necessary.
    I had to change a wheel on the hard shoulder recently in the pissing rain, but it was so welded on that I had to wait for an RAC man to turn up and attempt to remove it with a succession of increasingly hefty hammers until it finally succumbed.  He then drove off only for me to discover a few seconds later that I been sitting there so long with my lights on that my battery was too flat to start the car.  Cue another lengthy wait in the pissing rain until he returned to jump-start me.
  • I'm about to try and take over responsibility for cleaning and maintaining my pool and hot tub.  I think I just have to keep the floaty-chemical-thing topped up with chlorine tablets, wash out the filter once a week, and occasionally pour different chemicals into a little hole.

I am fully prepared to come back to an algae-ridden hell-hole after my first time away.
  • Glossing.

I fucking hate glossing.
  • My dad has some sort of undiagnosed hyperactive disorder and couldn't sit on his arse for more than 5 mins. When I lived at home, I used to curse his days off, and if it's taught me anything it's fuck DIY. Pay someone else. Time's too valuable a comodity to waste it fucking about up a ladder.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I quite agree.  I don't mind a bit of hard work, but I find DIY to be almost entirely mundane and am just about ready to kill myself after a day of it.  The fact that I promised myself I'd paint several rooms and put up some floating oak shelves in the living room when the weather improved hangs like a big dark hanging thing over my summer.
    Get schwifty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Glossing. I fucking hate glossing.

Use the water based stuff.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    adored wrote:

+1

Easier to put on.
    Easier to clean the brushes
    Dries quicker
    Doesn't smell as bad
    Looks just as good

Not sure how it compares in cost but I won't be using oil based gloss again.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    adored wrote:
    +1 Easier to put on. Easier to clean the brushes Dries quicker Doesn't smell as bad Looks just as good Not sure how it compares in cost but I won't be using oil based gloss again.

The wife bought the oil stuff so i had to use that. In all fairness I found by using as less as possible - i got little to no drip or running.

the wallpapering needs done this weekend. flip sake.
  • Wallpapering like a boss. :D
  • In this weather? Bollocks to that.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Just built a set of bunk beds.
  • Ive had the week off and had every intention of redoing the hallway and living room but its been severly curtailed by the sun!! The hallway is finished now though after 3 coats and oil bassed glossing the doors. Oh actually I still have to put some beading in the hallway, i managed to runout of nails today. I had just been basically stealing nails from B&Q as they ran out of the ones i needed so was just popping loose ones into my pocket and walking out like a pimp. But now i need to go and get more :(
  • 318291_10151003054154460_663559459_11891042_818586514_n.jpg
    Managed to get this all sorted out like - I was busy.
    And then did some of this as well
    544717_10151003054879460_663559459_11891052_1560540656_n.jpg
  • +1

LEVEL UP

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I have a REAL crafting table.
  • Doing decorating at the moment too. Painted three walls and the ceiling, and put new skirting board on. The skirting is not exactly fun to do...but I feel good for doing it! We're going to do wallpapering too, which I am pretty apprehensive about!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!