• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    The orbs stick with whoever you put them into though right? So if you chuck 4 into a mech, you can't take them away for another mech.

Yep, once they’re assigned to a mech, they can only be used by that mech.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think I have a new favourite pilot: Henry Kwan. Being able to move through enemy units is really useful, plus he’s a charmingly arrogant little prick, which appeals.

That sounds bloody useful. Hate being blocked in and one of your other mechs is webbed or in trouble.

I’m yet to take on the spider boss with him, but I can’t wait until I do. I hate that spidery bastard.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    The orbs stick with whoever you put them into though right? So if you chuck 4 into a mech, you can't take them away for another mech.
    Yep, once they’re assigned to a mech, they can only be used by that mech.

Wait, how do you get more in levels? I seem to be getting no new ones ever.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Oh wait I see a yoss spoiler on the last page
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s not really the way. It may work, but is rare.

In levels, you usually get one from the time pods, and occasionally you’ll see one as a reward for an objective, but for the most part I’m spending as much rep as I possibly can on them at the end of levels.
  • The end level rewards? Those are the 3-star costing rewards next to power grid refills?

I buy them but where do they go? The left-hand side reactor grid on the upgrade screen? They dont seem to appear there when I buy them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, those rewards. Once you buy them you apply them to a mech by clicking install at the bottom of the reactor section, you can then use them to power attributes by clicking on what you want to power.
  • Vela wrote:
    The end level rewards? Those are the 3-star costing rewards next to power grid refills? I buy them but where do they go? The left-hand side reactor grid on the upgrade screen? They dont seem to appear there when I buy them.

It's not massively clear.  On the upgrade screen you should see on the top left (I think) a little picture of an orb and a number next to it, that's the number you have available to assign.  You then have to install the orb into the reactor of the mech in question (it will then show up on the left)  You can then allocate it to the various boxes corresponding to the mech's power-ups.  Either to fuel an additional weapon, increase health, movement or whatever.
    Equally you can shuffle these around by uninstalling them, removing from the reactor, and installing on another mech.

(Hope that makes sense, doing from memory so can't remember exactly how it's laid out/referred to)

Really helpful in the late game stuff particularly.  Just don't be like me and forget about the additional skills you've equipped...

(edit: Yoss beat me to it.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    :)

Also, you can only install them in another mech by undoing as soon as you’ve installed it, once you’ve started a match with one in place, it can only be moved around in that one mech.
  • Thanks both, I actually figured it out by myself 2 minutes ago before checking, but your explanations were clearer than what I thought happened.

Collect orbs > Assign them to a robot > assign them to a skill or stat.

This game is nuts. Its a distilled example of perfection like Velocity and Geometry Wars.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I will say if you’ve played FTL the idea of power upgrades and distribution is easier to understand. And everyone should play FTL.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I will say if you’ve played FTL the idea of power upgrades and distribution is easier to understand. And everyone should play FTL.

Yeah, I havent played FTL. Heard good things though, naturally.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just totally fucked trying to do the train mission perfect on easy. Alpha was thingy and two others swamped the train. Managed to push them out of the way and take out one without damaging it then second turn another so turn up and don’t have the position or weapons to get the train through wrecking it.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sometimes you do get into impossible positions and it’s a fucker.

I’m currently doing my best to be a bit less perfectionist on my runs but mostly failing. I’ll currently reset if I fail an objective or lose any civilians on the first island, I’m doing my best to get out of the habit of doing so on the second island. FtL has made me far too restart-happy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just attempted my first proper run on normal. All was going well then the last but one mission went into to shit leaving me with 2 on the power grid. Tried to make it through the next level to get a grid unit back but got swarmed by webbers and lost the lot.

In better news I’ve unlocked two new pilots. One can fire twice if it doesn’t move and the other can move fire move. Will be trying that one out tomorrow.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, both of those are good.
  • I did a perfect island last night. The second island. Nice reward for it too.
  • I preordered hyper Light Drifter when it was announced thinking I would be bored of into the breach by now - wrong
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yeah this is one of those games that you have no expectations of and find brilliance.

Just had my first, longest-serving pilot die after I missed some nuances of the blitzkrieg class. Getting some regular perfect islands now, so hopefully if I can finish easy mode I will move up a level.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've been replacing Henry Kwans left, right and centre as he keeps getting the wrong level up bonuses. I finally have one with +1 reactor and +2 HP. Winning.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Probably about as good a first island as you can hope for here:

8tcuCQj.png
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So you don’t bother with defence grid maps Yoss?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, I’m all about building up the rep for the end of island upgrades.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s probably where I’m going wrong. I get my grid up to about 30% but guess it doesn’t matter if your mechs are shite at the end.
  • Reputation all the way. At least for the first few islands. The lightning top ups can be bougth usually for 1 rep anyway at the end so you can always stock up if things went bad.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fire bugs and freeze guys aren't my cup of tea. I've not seen anything which makes me want to switch from the starting crew.
  • They’re all a lot of fun as they bend the rules of the game, you should give them a go. I recommend the Science and the Rust team.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've tried them and found them wanting even on easy. I've got Rust and a few others unlocked, I'll keep experimenting.
  • They’re not really wanting, they’re just different. You need to play to their strengths. Some of the stuff they can do is ace, the science crew being able to shield and pull units is amazing, Rust Walkers can effectively cancel enemy attacks without fighting them - it’s almost OP.

I can see how they might feel lacking but really it’s just familiarity with the core team. One of the teams comes with a mech that starts with the lightning whip. Starts with it!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had a quick blast with the Rusting Hulks earlier. Initial impressions were how the hell would you win a round with them?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!