Darkest Dungeon: It CAN be felled, it CAN be beaten!
  • Cheers Tempy, I'll have a look.

Just barely beat crocodialian boss in the courtyard. I had 3 characters who could self heal and that was barely enough. The houndmaster died again, as on my previous attempt but he was infected with the crimson curse and I wouldn't be able to cure that back in town. It would spread to all the buildings and my entire roster. So other than him, the other three made it back, barely.
  • Must be the DLC stuff, not touched that myself.

My attempt to start a new campaign today was thwarted when the game crashed and lost all my data. Ah well.
  • I bought the edition with all the dlc included, glad I did. If it isn't obvious from my frequent posts, I love this game.

Tempy, is there anything similar with the old troupe of space marines?
  • I'm on my way!  Lost one and another suffered a heart attack on our first proper jollyboys outing, but the battle system could prove addictive enough to keep me going.  Lots of menu layers and fiddling, but I'm willing to learn.  Cannon Fodder isn't a bad comparison, I'm already pleased the new Jools & Jops survived.
  • Moot, torches are extremely important to control stress. I didn't realise that for a long while I was running with torch at 25%, I got alot more loot but I also stressed my party out.

A few tips I've learnt.
    1. If you use abomination you need jester in your team so he can use his reduce stress perk.
    2. Always have a healer either vestel or occultist.
    3. Marking an enemy and use bounty hunter's collect bounty for awesome damage.
  • Low torch runs are good with trash teams though. Careful using the occultist too, a bunch of his skills lower the darkness - you can raise it during the fight with torches.

Perhaps counter productively, removing ailments is almost pointless early on. Also if you have a bunch of moderately stressed people, it's often worth risking a medium dungeon to get the stress removal from camping. Also focus unlocking campfire skills that let you nullify afflictions and diseases.
  • I quit a mission on the way home from work.  I seem to have retained all my loot.  It mentioned throwing the towel in would demoralise the party, I take it that's quite a serious penalty (otherwise I can see myself running away loads)?  I've not really got anything to compare it to from experience, other than Steamworld Dig maybe - go deeper for richer rewards, but head back to the surface to cash them in?

Edit:  Feel free to chuck even the most glaringly obvious tips at me, I really don't know what I'm doing yet.
  • What does marking do, for instance?
  • I think every attack in the game tells you what it does. So, the Bandit's Tracking Shot says:

Damage 
    -80%
    Accuracy
    Crit
    0%
    Effect 
    +6 ACC,
    +5% CRT,
    +12% DMG
    (Buffs last 1 Battle)

Whereas Pistol Shot says 

Damage
    -25%
    Accuracy
    Critical
    10%
    Effect
    +25% DMG vs Marked

So the synergy there isn't hidden - Tracking shot buffs you for Effect 
    +6 ACC, +5% CRT, +12% DMG and for the whole battle, and pistol shot gains +25% damage on marked targets.

Abandoning runs is not really ideal. Stress damage comes thick and fast, and when it hits 100 in a battle you gain a chance to take a huge modifier, either negative or positive, that sticks for the whole dungeon, and guarantees a negative trait is added at the end of the dungeon. It's also expensive to remove stress damage and locks your heroes up whilst you do it.
  • You seen the Joseph Anderson vid on this Temps? Wondered your thoughts on it if so, as it put me off.
  • Nope, I don't really like him so haven't bothered. He analyses games in a way that runs totally counter to how I enjoy them.
  • I've just checked my Steam profile of the game (I played it on GOG for ages) and I have 14 hours, with a lvl 5 character, ooh. Back on the grind.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Nope, I don't really like him so haven't bothered. He analyses games in a way that runs totally counter to how I enjoy them.

He does take an extremely robotic approach to the analysis, I never make it to the end of his videos. 

His main gripe was the amount of randomness and grinding, they not issues for you?
  • I am not very into "optimal play" in games.  I don't have the brain for it. There is randomness in DD, and there is the potential - and perhaps the necessity - for grinding.

I haven't finished it, I always get fatigued with it or put it off for something a little breezier. It's a stressful game and things go wrong. But that's the point. The game is inspired by Lovecraft horror. Things are supposed to go wrong. It warns you it's unfair right of the bat. You can have a turn where you miss an enemy, only for them to critical hit you back which turns your character insane, which dominoes on to everyone else and then your whole party is utterly fucked and they all die wretchedly in the pit that you sent them to. So you load up 4 more grunts and send them off to their likely deaths.

It's the total opposite of Slay the Spire and Into the Breach, where you know EXACTLY what is going to happen to you. You could perhaps even see the coded transparency of Breach and Spire as a response to the proliferation of randomisation in rogulikes. 

Like XCOM, DD is about minimising risk and chance as best you can in any given turn, and planning for the worst. I am not sure about the grinding, but I've heard it ends up happening later on, but I get the idea Joseph is the kind of person that will complain about a game if it allows him to play two ways: optimally or sub-optimally. Like with the whole Destiny skill tree vs/fixed skills debate - I know why the latter is better, but I enjoyed messing around with "sub-optimal" skills.

I think DD's randomisation supports its theme. i don't even think you need to finish it to be satisfied with it. There's something alluring about the unfairness and the likelihood of failure that's fitting to this kind of Eldritch Horror. Success doesn't seem canon.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Low torch runs are good with trash teams though. Careful using the occultist too, a bunch of his skills lower the darkness - you can raise it during the fight with torches.

Perhaps counter productively, removing ailments is almost pointless early on. Also if you have a bunch of moderately stressed people, it's often worth risking a medium dungeon to get the stress removal from camping. Also focus unlocking campfire skills that let you nullify afflictions and diseases.

Cheers tempy, didn't realise that about occultist or the camping stuff.

Moot, I only abandon as a last resort I.e. If I know I'm gonna lose the team or a hero that I don't want to lose cause I've fecked up very badly.

I'm living with the quirks and diseases for now (apart from crimson curse). If a hero gets to level 3 then I'll assess it and maybe fix a quirk or disease that is particularly troublesome.

My next goal is to get the bank built (the district buildings are expensive to build), it will take awhile but 5% interest a week on your gold ain't too shabby.
  • Well said, enough to convince me to try this I reck.
  • Sounds like the Crimson Curse has things in it I don't know about, which is neat.
    Well said, enough to convince me to try this I reck.

Trust me, it's absolutely an exercise in eye-rolling and swearing and spitting frustration that I have quit more than once in frustration, but it's far more engrossing than yet another AAA power fantasy, because like XCOM, when it goes right it's fucking brilliant.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hadn't played for a while so I had a quick run through with some new characters. By pure luck I battered right through to the boss and clobbered him too. Didn't lose anyone. Just luck though. But it felt good.
  • I do want that dopamine squirt, no matter if it's earned. It's only a Cthulu on PSN at the moment (sick squid), so I think I'll lower my plague-mask and take a bite.
  • At Green level dungeons (easiest) it's alright and you tend not to lose team members too often. I think Tempy is referring to Orange level and above dungeons (which I haven't tried yet). Gulp.
  • You're never safe in this. I just finished a mission after resting and had almost 0 stress and full health. Second battle after that I came across The Collector who took 3 characters to Death's Door via unlucky crits, one of which died completely. Delightful!
  • Hmmmm the collector? Not had the pleasure yet.
  • Just to iterate how fucking stacked this game can be, I just failed across two different fights 12 attempts at applying blight to an enemy that has a resistance of only 40%. I am not sure what the maths are, but it's irritating. Said enemies also managed to crit 4 times. I am very annoyed right now.
  • That's twice today I have been presented with an almighty FUCK YOU of luck. Think I lost 6 people in 6 hours of play.
  • Got very lucky with Flesh boss. Had two guys on deaths door. Hellion rolled a 25 critical and finished him off. Lucky.

Did my first short veteran run. Its tougher.

Spoiler for crimson curse
    Spoiler:
  • I think I may start over on this. Playing on 'normal' and a lack of a proper tutorial meant I hadn't a clue I was doing. There's a easier shortened mode isn't there? May give that a go so I can at least have a chance to learn the mechanics. No problem with starting over - it's not let you get attached to your characters anyway. Everybody dies!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Radiant mode, aye. There's no tutorial, just tough it out and read the online groupthink about it, submit it to a death by inches.
  • I'm struggling with this.  My whole party just got decimated in a supposedly easy dungeon.  Jools and Jops were in recovery, so it's not all bad news, but ouch.

I had a choice of three (four?) options pre-game.  I thought it was just house allegiance perhaps, so I just selected the blue one.  Please tell me they were difficulty levels, because if not this might be too much for me.  I'm feeling hugely underpowered and tend to get overwhelmed by the fourth set of nasties each time.  I want to like it, and I am trying, but cor blimey it's death by a thousand cuts.
  • I haven't played the Switch Version so I don't know what the options are on there. if they're Radiant, Darkest and Stygian, then Radiant is the easiest and Stygian is the hardest.
  • I'm on the Vita.  I'll have a look and brace myself for the revelation that I selected Radiant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!