Darkest Dungeon: It CAN be felled, it CAN be beaten!
  • It's never easy though, I just sailed through a dungeon, camped right before the boss to get all my health and stress back, only to end up getting ambushed. Then the boss decided to target my Houndmaster with lots of attacks, and my Occultist couldn't be bothered to get a heal above 5 off for the whole fight (in fact getting two 0s) despite doing a 20 and a critical 24 earlier.

I also haven't had a plague Doctor delivered to me for about 10 weeks.

The trick in fights is generally to focus the back 2 rows that have Stress Dealers on them. Damage you can heal easily, stress you can't. Make sure you're covered through every rank. You can easily see this by looking at the characters screen:

WbtkQBb.pngThis shows she's best in the front row, and has full coverage of the enemy (hence why no red lights are bigger than the others) plus she has Iron Swan, which lets her hit the back row, where stress spewing cunts like to hide.

Other than that, use your Plague Doctors and Houndmasters to inflict stress and bleed. Plague Doctors especially are amazing in the Cove and Ruins as they can shit out Blight on the back two rows with impunity, as well as stun any of the four rows. 

Also don't spread your damage, focus enemies down.

When prepping for missions, it takes a while to learn what you need, but rule of thumb on Short Missions is 12 food, 10 Torches, 2 Shovels, 1 Key, 1 Holy Water.

If it's Ruins, take 3 bandages, Weald, 2 bandages, 2 antivenoms, Warrens, 2 bandages, 3 antivenoms, Cove, not sure, they don't come up but I imagine more bandages on higher difficulties cos of the bastard Crabs.

Use a wiki to understand how to interact with the intractable objects, because they're too punishing to fuck a round with guess work: https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio
  • Cheers Temps.

I was playing on Stygian, which explains the baptism of fire.  I'm now pleased with myself for my record of two wins, two retreats and one annihilation.  Will start from scratch later, hopefully the mistake will stand me in good stead.
  • I am pretty sure it basically tells you that you're fucked if you pick Stygian. It's definitely a game you have to read about. I don't really think using wikis and reading reddit threads etc is poor form for this game, the odds are already stacked and there is no "perfect" play state you can get into. All you can do is mitigate the inevitable. Some guy might have aced a Dungeon with a party that's "just so" but man, the chances of replicating that are low.
  • I don't remember a warning, but if there was one I probably dismissed it thinking 'all in the game, yo'.
  • I cannot stress enough how you can't take this game lightly. It makes XCOM look like a paragon of fairness.
  • Moot, stick to short dungeons for awhile. I've stuck to green (easiest) since I've had the game and only last night did I do a orange (medium) dungeon. That was a short dungeon on purpose as well. Upgrade the stagecoach, guild and blacksmith. As Tempy said, take down one enemy at a time. Team lineup and ability is vital. Gotta have a team that can attack all the positions.

There are a few YouTube vids of beginners tips which are useful.
  • I'd upgrade position one stress removal and maybe medical ward before guild and blacksmith. You only really need the blacksmith for medium/boss runs.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I cannot stress enough how you can't take this game lightly. It makes XCOM look like a paragon of fairness.

I don't doubt it, I'm just relieved that the odds currently feel harsh rather than insurmountable now I've changed to Radiant.  

Definitely gonna take things slowly Dino, short excursions for a while for sure.
  • Shame there aren't any in game stats for this. I've no idea how many missions I've done (I think I've done 30 + alot more short than medium dungeons). I've toppled 6 bosses and lost a total of 14 heroes (not including the three I released due to their curse). 4 of those 14 was down to me epically fucking up by pulling a monster out of a void. I'm playing on normal difficulty.

Just started doing veteran level dungeon missions, so the losses could go up significantly, potentially.
  • http://abload.de/img/ddcuriov5ifuo0.jpg

Really useful, all on an easy to read sheet.
  • Abandoned my boss run on veteran. Ran out of food and my healer suffered a heart attack. Not worth pushing on. Lost a level 3 healer. Damn.

Crap she was my last vestel on my roster. Level 3 runs on hold. Need to train up some vestels
  • Yeah running out of food is awful, you could technically "starve" twice in one corridor, though they may have patched that out.

I am suffering a dearth of Plague Doctors right now, which I am sore about.

Tip for the night: go to options and disable "retreats can fail" - the worst fights are ambushes and special enemies which you can't flee from anyway, don't punish yourself more.
  • Cheers for the tip. Did my first long run on green difficulty (easiest). That takes awhile.

Spoiler for crimson curse
    Spoiler:
  • This fuckin' game. 

Easy run of about 6 dungeons there, slaying stuff left and right. Number 7 is a boss. Go through it taking down really tough enemies with zero abandon. Kill the boss after a drawn out affair, minions get 2 consecutive deathblows. Fuck off!
  • That sounds harsh. I take it the minions were in the boss room and you didn't carry on exploring after killing the boss?
  • Yeah, Brigand 16 Pounder. That's one problem with stepping away from a game in progress for half a year, you have the easy vossesto try your strats on. it forget what they are for the tougher bosses. Also spent 4 turns buffing the Jester's finale attack only for it to do a measly 13 damage. The PROT deduction is real.
  • Your alot further along then I am. Looks like I have plenty of frustration to look forward to. Sigh.
  • Don't be afraid to restart and turn off Crimson Court, ive heard it's rather tough. There's no failstate in DD which can mean you get stuck grinding through failure at times. Which bosses have you fought? Some are utterly brutal with the wrong team. The Darkest Dungeon finally opened up for me and I have no idea who to take in.

Which bosses have you fought?
  • Wtf?!? One room away from the necromancer boss, camping. Use a skill so can't be ambushed at night and rest. During rest my team get pulled into a dreamstate with 3 snakes who absolutely decimate my team. Took 2 down before the dream state?!? ended and I'm back in the room I camped in but my team's health is a mess.

I'll get back to you on bosses Tempy, as soon as I get back to town so I can check.
  • So beat the necromancer, but it was so close. I had my shieldbreaker at deaths door and three times occultist did zero heals. Bastard.
    Then jester was at deaths door as well. Necromancer went down, but his remaining goons were touch and go. Everyone survived in the end.

Re: crimson court, I'm holding my own for now, but mosquitoes are no1 target over everyone else if they appear in battle.

Re: bosses, I've beaten the following:
    Apprentice necromancer
    Sonorous prophet
    Necromancer
    Wizened hag
    Swine prince
    Inchoate flesh
    Siren

That's my lot so far. I did beat a guy with glowing blue skull in a cage and golden cape in a corridor battle. He hasn't appeared again.
  • Nice work! So you've seen almost all the estates bosses, that's cool. I don't have the Sheildbreaker but it tempts me on the main screen every time a I load up. The cage guy is The Collector he has a chance of appearing if your inventory is past a certain point, because there's no comfort in DD.
  • I've been waiting for 6 weeks for a vestel in the stage coach. Or even an occultist but nothing. Which is annoying as I really need healers.

Of the new characters fallegent is hardest to use, I really should give him a decent run in the squad. Shieldbreaker is alright but his lack of PROT means he needs SPD and DODGE talismans to help control the damage he receives.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I was looking at the physical Switch release, didn't know it was already out on the store.

Might see more action on the Switch. I'm assuming it looks as lovely as the Steam version?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Am I missing out if I don't get and use Crimson Court straight away?
  • Subbax wrote:
    Am I missing out if I don't get and use Crimson Court straight away?

No.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Good, I shall get the base game now and DLC in a month or so.
  • I bought the game with all the dlc, crimson court definitely makes it harder but it also adds tension when you come across creatures that can inflict the curse on your party.

Decided to go do an "epic" dungeon (my first epic), the baron has invited me to the courtyard. Taking party with 3 members who are inflicted. This may not end well......
  • This is new. Just about to start epic quest and there is a message saying
    Spoiler:
  • I've never seen an Epic Dungeon, looks like it's a Crimson Court feature for that one dungeon. Sounds rough.
  • Layman's update, just in case anyone assumed I'd thrown the towel in.  

Some of my characters are up to Lv.2, and I've got the gist of upgrading bits 'n bobs/curing ailments/reducing stress.  My jester died on the quest before last, which is the only aforementioned spitting frustration moment I've had since lowering the difficulty and starting again.  I'm currently undecided whether or not to rename my characters, Worms style, as let's face it they're all going to die at some point.  Dismas and Reynauld are still live and kicking.  

I think I'm doing this.  Not sure how long I'll last, but I am starting to enjoy the battles.  The UI really is fiddly as fuck, especially the poor visual cue for highlighted characters on the tiny screen, and I'm constantly forgetting how to reposition my characters quickly between skirmishes, I seem to end up doing a Rubik's Cube thing every time.  Plus it hangs a bit here and there too.  

Very good though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!