Details....
  • Hmm that Crowbcat person who did the other vids also did this which I think I recall seeing some time ago. Pretty fucking sick -

• Just watching a Far Cry 5 playthrough, this pissed me off a little -

Hu8V3uf.png

That little bright ass screen is supposedly showing a map with speed and altitude overlaid. Except that it all stays static, for three minutes, while you sit there listening to whatever they are jabbering about (I couldn't focus on the topic because I was trying to work out what the deal with the screen was). The little arrow which I guess denotes the position of the helicopter blinks on and off too, so it's kinda baffling that they didn't bother to some kind of cheap in-game map scroll + fudging the numbers on screen affair.

Obviously I'm being super pedantic, and it's not like I would knock a point off out of ten for it, but I find this lack of care for immersing the player in the world pretty irritating. I get that it was probably something that would have been done given more time and budget, but it still just feels like they don't give a shit.
  • More like Far Cryght off
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Just watched the DF video earlier. I guess it's par for the course these days in games. Not only are the games getting downgraded but their technical aspirations too. I guess it makes sense in the realm of accessibility from a hardware perspective but can't help but feel some of that subtle magic is being lost.

Half Life 2's Gravity Gun comes to mind.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I genuinely don't care if in having fun tbh.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You can have fun and all the physics etc. Shirley?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You can, I don't disagree, but I'm having a blast with FC5 so I'm not going to bemoan it not having some stuff FC2 did. Both different games aiming for different things.
  • I'm quite interested in playing FC5 now, mainly to try and break it. From watching a bunch of gameplay it seems like the game gives you such a small amount of time to actually chill out and enjoy interacting with the environment with the incredible amount of nonsense it chucks at you. I suspect that if the entire map and it's inhabitants weren't trying to kill you constantly that the very pretty world would feel especially empty and static, like Ethan Carter's forests. The nonsense of it reminds me of Just Cause 3 too, though that seemed slower and with more of a tactical aspect to it somehow..

The shootybangs do look fun though, could be a good laugh just finding exploits in all the broken stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Once you make an area safe the constant confrontations die out. I've gone a good 10-15 minutes not firing a single shot or coming across any enemies. It's akin to FC2 I'm that if you stay off the roads and away from locations most of the time it's quite tranquil.
  • Was watching more of that Crowbcat's vids and came across this one -

Actually astonishing just how much thought was put into the animations and interactions is in Dead Rising 1, really puts a lot of games to shame.
  • Dead Rising was absolutely fucking glorious; a real gem of the last gen
  • This was something that I saw on the last Media Molecule stream, John Beech walks through how this very impressive pool room was made, and goes into some of the little details and techniques he used to make the whole scene seem so rich and lifelike. The 'smoke and mirrors' he utilised to optimise and vary things are quite interesting, sort of similar to various techniqes used by devs in more traditional engines.

• It's good but it's no Jimmy whites.
    SFV - reddave360
  • True.  Needs more flies.
  • Another very fine pisstake from CrowbCat -

I played the beta or whatever of Back 4 Blood and found it quite remarkable how it felt worse in basically every respect to Left 4 Dead, just seemed really half-assed and janky and lacking in charm. This really highlights the importance of attention to detail that goes into making a classic.
  • I think with a lot of these games it probably comes down to the project leads having a real clear idea of what they want in the game in terms of details and not letting scheduling our cost analysis get in the way of it. You can imagine a big boss person saying "you want to spend how many months implementing what?!" and having it cut.

But then you get Stanton on Halo Infinite and all of a sudden there's marines you can travel with. Or a Kojima project and you get something like MGS2 which has so many Easter eggs and little touches. Or a naughty Dog game like Last of Us 2 where you get the most impressive rope physics in a game ever that is totally and criminally underused.

I agree that sometimes these details don't necessarily make a game more fun but they do make them more memorable for me and it's always a shame when there's missed opportunities in a lot of big modern games
  • These days I'm often thinking about games' systems interaction in terms of tactility or perhaps tangibility. All these subtle details are critically important for building that feeling of something beyond a simple manufactured lightshow in a small window in front of you that responds to your inputs and is designed to deliver endorphins and little more. It's not just pedantry over the trimmings, this shit really matters.
  • Sorry gurt already posted it years ago but hey. It's something.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Left 4 Dead v Shit 4 Brains video is pretty damning. I wasn't the biggest fan of L4D, so I wasn't to surprised to bounce off this remake. The video highlights just how second rate the new game is, in every department. Old Crowbcat has a keen eye, and the last point about who actually worked on the originals points to B4B being a half heated attempt to cash in on the hard work of others. Shitty

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!