• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    The year 2091, all human disease has been eradicated... even... death. Everyone lives in a Roddenberrian society, everyone has enough, replicators make any food you desire. Yoss has just been given his newly grown body, 30 yr old spec. But he is unhappy. He wants a conservatory on his cube house. Nobody else has one, his neighbour, Brooks, tells him he should be happy without one. Yoss says fuck that, pimps himself out to a local builder, One Brick man, who builds for fun, because why wouldn't you? Gets a conservatory and breaks in his new body. Two days later the futuristic net curtains of his neighbour JRPC 2.0 twitch.

You... you mean I’ll have a house?

*starts sobbing*
  • It's social housing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, but actual housing?
  • Hey I think conservatories are potentially cool, you can grow things in them, for fun even.
  • But anyway in that strange parableland, social responsibility and sharing would be instinctual probably so nerrr.
  • It's 2092 and finally Brook's 15th gender reassignment has been completed by doctors who absolutely love doing that stuff. This decade he has gone 15% hermaphrodite and 75% XXY, the remaining 10% was left on the table for extravagant avant garde purposes. He is mother and father and other to 23 children and as such lives in a 23,000 square foot mansion in a quiet cul de sac near slough, mandatory space per capita requirements. Yoss stares through the smeared glass of his ramshackled conservatory. Seething.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Hey I think conservatories are potentially cool, you can grow things in them, for fun even.

Not if they've got UV protection to stop your rattan furniture fading.
  • I refuse to breed under any circumstances including absolute material comfort.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Many people in low income countries don’t have access to simple medicines like painkillers. This is a  “medical, public health and moral failing and a travesty of justice” . Sure, absolutely.  But by framing this as an issue of inequality what’s implicit is that the reason these resources are in such short supply to so many is because elsewhere rich people have loads of them. That if only the top 5% stopped hogging all the wealth and medicine it would soon find its way into the hands of the most needy.

It's not that if I have four packets of paracetamol, three people go without. It's about artificially inflating the price and therefore limiting the supply of medicine. A handy side effect is that your pharmaceutical company makes more money, increasing inequality and... what's the point?

Fucking hell, I hope somebody can talk some compassion into you, or at least parachute you somewhere where you can see how hollow your theories are in practice.
  • Brooks wrote:

Since we're here.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • trippy wrote:

Fucking hell, I hope somebody can talk some compassion into you, or at least parachute you somewhere where you can see how hollow your theories are in practice.

Lack of compassion isn't the issue, IMO.

Not sure that empathy is the word either.

God I'm too tired to find the right one.
  • Compassion feels right for me, that's what's bothering me anyway. If these are non-issues then the people they damage are non-people.
  • Supply-side Jesus is all like: "Inequality isn't the issue, poverty is! Inequality doesn't cause poverty, because the very rich have no influence whatsoever over who remains rich and who remains poor! Global wealth is not zero-sum! If someone is rich, they have created that wealth entirely for themselves and it has not come from anyone or anywhere else! It is the poor people's fault that they are poor! They should create wealth for themselves! It is not the responsibility of the rich to look after the poor, because otherwise they would never learn how to create their own wealth! BTW, we're not going to forgive any of those national debts, because otherwise those poor countries would never learn fiscal responsibility! They need to pay their vigs!"
  • Facewon wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Lack of compassion isn't the issue, IMO. Not sure that empathy is the word either. God I'm too tired to find the right one.

Life experience? Everyone lives in their own social bubble.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • JRPC wrote:
    So I read the Oxfam summary text. I think the three mechanisms they suggest may link poverty and inequality sound very plausible to me and I can easily imagine them contributing to a failure of optimal redistribution. But they leap to the wrong conclusion when they say that a reduction in relative poverty must go hand-in-hand with a reduction in inequality (like that above quote points out).  For one thing, it’s not like if the rich controlled 2% of the total wealth instead of 8% that the problem of buying political influence would suddenly go away. What’s needed is sensible legislation that targets those specific issues - electoral reform/political influence/removing barriers to economic mobility etc.

Who do you think produces such legislation?  If you accept (as you seem to) that the wealthy have undue political and legal influence, then who do you expect will introduce the legislation required to curb that influence?
  • djchump wrote:
    https://boingboing.net/2018/05/24/risking-all-for-truth.html https://www.icij.org/investigations/west-africa-leaks/ Someone should tell them that there's no link between poverty and inequality.

Surprised they've got a high enough IQ to pull that off.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    So I read the Oxfam summary text. I think the three mechanisms they suggest may link poverty and inequality sound very plausible to me and I can easily imagine them contributing to a failure of optimal redistribution. But they leap to the wrong conclusion when they say that a reduction in relative poverty must go hand-in-hand with a reduction in inequality (like that above quote points out).  For one thing, it’s not like if the rich controlled 2% of the total wealth instead of 8% that the problem of buying political influence would suddenly go away. What’s needed is sensible legislation that targets those specific issues - electoral reform/political influence/removing barriers to economic mobility etc.
    Who do you think produces such legislation?  If you accept (as you seem to) that the wealthy have undue political and legal influence, then who do you expect will introduce the legislation required to curb that influence?

Well yeah sure, that's a big problem. I'm not suggesting that it's an easy process. 

But Oxfam's 'just reduce inequality' alternative would be an order of magnitude more difficult, not least because it would necessarily include massive legislative changes subject to the same kinds of political influences. 

To be clear, I'm not saying that everything's rosy or that poor people in society should just be content with what they've got. Neither am I sayiing that allowing a handful of individuals to amass unlimited wealth is a good thing. 

I'm commenting on the moral significance of inequality - that economic equality isn't intrinsically an aspect of human wellbeing and that inequality shouldn't be confused with poverty (as it repeatedly is here).
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    ...that inequality shouldn't be confused with poverty (as it repeatedly is here).
    You just keep banging that drum and keep your head sandy then, yeah?
  • JRPC wrote:
    I'm commenting on the moral significance of inequality - that economic equality isn't intrinsically an aspect of human wellbeing and that inequality shouldn't be confused with poverty (as it repeatedly is here).
    We're all commenting on the moral significance of economic inequality. There are now numerous posts here explaining why extreme inequality is intrinsically bad, counterproductive or even immoral. To be clear.
  • JRPC wrote:

Rolling my sleeves up for this one.

Right, you have two points here. Make the distinction:

1. economic equality isn't intrinsically an aspect of human wellbeing
    2. inequality shouldn't be confused with poverty

On point 1: True. If you are a millionaire and I am on median wage (i.e not in poverty) then I am still probably quite well off as are you. It doesnt need to be wage dependant either. If I have enough to get by, I can get education and medical treatment and be safe then sure, the fact there is inequality is not relevant.

On point 2: Inequality isnt poverty. Also true. Poverty is not being able to get the basics needed for survival and to thrive. It leads to poor health, education, social outcomes, political influence, and often correlates with warzones, domestic violence, famine and whatnot.

So, that's all theoryland dealt with.

In the real world, poverty and inequality overlap. A lot. 

QED.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, guess who’s both got a hand in creating/increasing poverty, and also got the resources to actually tackle the problem?
    It’s a tricky one, it’s got JRPC stumped.
  • JRPC wrote:

This confusion keeps happening and some variation of this has been posted several times now. Again, what’s described in that Lancet article is not an issue of inequality but issue of poverty. 

Many people in low income countries don’t have access to simple medicines like painkillers. This is a  “medical, public health and moral failing and a travesty of justice” . Sure, absolutely.  But by framing this as an issue of inequality what’s implicit is that the reason these resources are in such short supply to so many is because elsewhere rich people have loads of them. That if only the top 5% stopped hogging all the wealth and medicine it would soon find its way into the hands of the most needy. 

This is nonsense. 

What would be the result if our access to these painkillers dropped by half in the west? Well firstly the degree of inequality would be decreased substantially. If you hold to the idea that inequality is a “tangible evil irrespective of what it means for economic poverty” then this would be a good thing. 

But of course it wouldn’t be a good thing. If you decrease the amount of painkillers available to the western world (therefore reducing inequality) then all that happens is that less people have access to painkillers. Nobody in India is going to benefit from our loss and wellbeing overall is decreased . 

Again, there’s nothing morally objectionable about inequality as this example illustrates. What’s objectionable is poverty. 

To backtrack a second. Apart from it being questionable that you're right that redistribution couldn't or wouldn't result from "halving our access to painkillers," which is a strange phrase for it by the way, doing a Harris with your hypotheticals here ignores the issues around pricing, patents and general supply control that goes on with medicines, in particular.

Its not a simple case of hoarding.

Your example doesn't demonstrate much.

Why did you use the term access, btw?

For well proven drugs what do you think is holding back access?

Either in the west or in poorer countries?

• You guys.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!