Ethics and Science Quarantine Zone
  • It's true.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That's a different Buzzfeed article isn't it?

Hang on...
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So is the premise of the argument that you should be able to freely discuss data and how it could be interpreted? But at the same time not be allowed to question the flaws in methodology of the production or collection of that data, or the ways in which that data will have inherent bias built in?

I'm confused as to what the issue is.
  • So is the premise of the argument that you should be able to freely discuss data and how it could be interpreted? But at the same time not be allowed to question the flaws in methodology of the production or collection of that data, or the ways in which that data will have inherent bias built in? I'm confused as to what the issue is.

I really do think much of what's happeing here is just confusion about what the issue actually is.

I've tried to clarify but obviously I'm not doing a good enough job.

I am 100% into questioning the flaws in methodolgy of production or collection AND of the ways the date may have an inherent bias built in. In fact i think that it's essential. 

I really, really mean that. 

But this isn't about that.

One last time:

Nonetheless, apparently THN view any possibility that this may be correct as inherently racist and malevolent.

They attacked Harris and Murray for promoting this genetic view and the genetic inferiority of some groups it implies. 

It is a false charge. 

This is about vilifying people who don't agree with you and actually derailing a proper discussion about the issue.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Does the possibility not exist that this is, in fact, simply bad science, and people aren’t being vilified so much as they are being told that their science is bad?
  • Face, forget that are you joking stuff. I think I see where you're coming from. 

I've read the Buzzfeed letter now a couple of times.

The issue of how we define race and how we think about group differences is absolutely an interesting and important thing to talk about.

But you seem to be implying that what those 61 experts are saying there somehow contradicts what Haier is saying in that article. 

I don't think it does at all. 

I don't think it actually has anything to do with the core of this issue here, that being that there are "bad actors" here (classic Harrisism) who are deliberately and repeatedly misrepresenting Murray's position and motives, and now are sliming Harris for daring to have a conversation with him.
  • Hang on, I thought you guys used sliming to mean jizzing?
  • Facewon wrote:
    There is not consensus on this because direct evidence from modern genetic studies of group differences is not yet available.

What do you think you are exposing there?

Murray, Harris, Haier, Reich - none of them would dispute this.
  • If we ever get beyond this, I'm reading Paul Bloom's new book Agaisnt Empathy which might be a good fit here?

Totally persuaded by it.
  • Curiosity's got the better of me, where's this podcast in question?
  • Sam Harris Waking Up Podcast is here

The relevant episodes are:

The Harris/Murray podcast that kicked all this off is episode 73 (Forbidden Knowledge)

THe Harris/Klein podcast is 123 (Identity and Honesty) and is the most recent.

Klein posted the latter on his site too, but its the same.
  •  that being that there are "bad actors" here (classic Harrisism) who are deliberately and repeatedly misrepresenting Murray's position and motives, and now are sliming Harris for daring to have a conversation with him.

Prove it. This reads like paranoia.
  • Facewon wrote:
    There is not consensus on this because direct evidence from modern genetic studies of group differences is not yet available.

Facewon wrote:
    But it's uncontroversial to say that black folk score lower on IQ?

These go together.
    JRPC wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    But it's uncontroversial to say that black folk score lower on IQ?
    Well it certainly shouldn't be by default. It depends completely on the context and yes, the intentions.
    I wonder what could give us context? Hmmmm, let me think. Maybe social science, history and a touch of philosphy of science.
    JRPC wrote:
    That's a different Buzzfeed article isn't it? Hang on...

No, it's the same one, I find posting links 3-4 times gives me around a 10% chance of you reading them.

The issue of how we define race and how we think about group differences is absolutely an interesting and important thing to talk about.

I don't think it actually has anything to do with the core of this issue here, that being that there are "bad actors" here (classic Harrisism) who are deliberately and repeatedly misrepresenting Murray's position and motives, and now are sliming Harris for daring to have a conversation with him.

So arguing that the idea of race is messy doesn't at all throw Murray's takes on things into question at all? 

If your main argument is that "dangerous ideas" or inconvenient truths need to be discussed openly and honestly, then sure, but you can't then continue to ignore folks pointing out that your (general your)ideas aren't actually dangerous, they're possibly just wrong.

And if you want to talk about intentions, then why ignore or dismiss Klien's very good points about Murray's Previous work, his title, and the excerpt they chose to run. That's context, and it puts his intentions into question. 

Further, like you in the discussion here, as I've mentioned previously, Harris and Murray both MISREPRESENT (since he's so sensitive about being misrepresented) the entirety of the Bell curve Criticism. Yes, there was some abuse, yes there's some OTT responses etc, it may even be the majority of responses, but that doesn't mean there weren't good takedowns that should have been dealt with. I linked to all manner of stuff just after a quick google.

You've done similar in here, talking about lynch mobs and being driven out, while taking forever to maybe respond to stuff. There's plenty of meat in here for you to go at and explain where you disagree, but more often than not you've not engaged, you've worried about bad faith and name calling. You've highlighted Gonzo and Chump as being impossible, when you've had legit and perfectly polite disagreement from Jon B and Monkey which you've not engaged with.

It might be useful to quote less from folks when you agree with them, and also quote less that you agree with from links from other folks, and quote the bits you disagree with and explain why.

Some questions:

Do you agree that it's possible for someone to both cop abuse, bad faith and poor arguments from some people, while at the same time copping fair and well thought out criticism from others? This is a Yes No, and I assume you'll see where I'm going if you say Yes.

What was your follow up to the question about the ideal on bias?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Sam Harris Waking Up Podcast is here The relevant episodes are: The Harris/Murray podcast that kicked all this off is episode 73 (Forbidden Knowledge) THe Harris/Klein podcast is 123 (Identity and Honesty) and is the most recent. Klein posted the latter on his site too, but its the same.

Thanks.
  • I wonder what could give us context? Hmmmm, let me think. Maybe social science, history and a touch of philosphy of science.

That's not what I mean by context there.

What I mean is better described by 'framing' then possibly. That it's possible to imagine a situation where a conversation about race and IQ could be had where nobody involved, on either side of the debate, are automatically considered racists. 

Do you agree that it's possible for someone to both cop abuse, bad faith and poor arguments from some people, while at the same time copping fair and well thought out criticism from others? This is a Yes No, and I assume you'll see where I'm going if you say Yes.

If I understand the question correctly then yeah, absolutely. 

What was your follow up to the question about the ideal on bias?

I've been trying to understand how you're coming to some of the conclusions that you are. It occurred to me that it was possible to think that going into these sort of questions that it's preferable to have a strong bias going in (when it seems to me an absolute no-brainer that the goal is no bias).

I didn't actually imagine you were thinking that way but thought it would be worth at least excluding it before moving on to make a point.

I can't actually remember what I was going to do with it now though.
  • So arguing that the idea of race is messy doesn't at all throw Murray's takes on things into question at all?

It doesn't invalidate anything that Haier says in those quotes.
  • Gamgertag: JRPC
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not sure of the value of "a conversation about race and IQ", given the questionable value of IQ as any kind of useful/unbiased measure; and the questionable value of any correlations between the two; and due to the questionable context in which all such data was gathered and studied. I just don't see how it can be a fruitful conversation.

Indeed the whole desire to have such a conversation seems a bit weird to me tbh. I'm sceptical as to the goals of people who want it. I'm guessing at least some want to "prove" themselves better than others, and to ignore individuality.

So yeah, if that's your key goal here, good luck with that.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Sooo, nobody should try and smear Harris and Murray, but you’ll happily post articles smearing Ezra Klein?

I mean, that piece right there is 100% “attack the person, rather than the claims”, whereas the Vox pieces I read were predominantly breaking down and criticising the claims Murray made.
  • JRPC wrote:
    I can't actually remember what I was going to do with it now though.
    There’s a very simple explanation for that.
  • I won't pretend to know everyone's knowledge on the history of the IQ test and intelligence study, but reading up on this, I am of the opinion that it is possible to study intelligence and that IQ measures something.

(I recommend the links suggested by some guy, as pretty neutral and interesting potted histories.)

Its possible to think this and find the whole thing with Murray wrong headed for all the reasons that have been gone through. IE the Vox folks, some of the open letter signees are surely involved in studying intelligence etc.

Not a pop at you, ace, as I'm not claiming expertise myself, and it's no one's obligation to read up on it all, but there's been a tendency for folks to go a bit "I reckon" on IQ. Anyhoo, a digression.

Meanwhile, we have another quillette article. Oh joy! Maybe I'll snear at it and ignore it's contents.

Welcome back to discussing bias. JRPC, do you think quillette is a neutral party? Objective? Not part of a tribe?

Should I treat it like you treat buzzfeed or salon or the Southern poverty law centre?

Because a quick glance at the article and its basically down party lines. And a quick google previously on the brief history of quillette gets us back to discussing bias. And that discussion isn't that some sources are unbiased, and some are, it's about how we parse sources allowing for biases on all sides, including our own.

Anyhoo.
  • djchump wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Sooo, nobody should try and smear Harris and Murray, but you’ll happily post articles smearing Ezra Klein?

I mean, that piece right there is 100% “attack the person, rather than the claims”, whereas the Vox pieces I read were predominantly breaking down and criticising the claims Murray made.

It's actually highly relevent.

It speaks to his intentions.
  • Quilette seems like a bad website.
  • Do you think Harris's behaviour in his interactions with Klein, chompers, and Ater show intentions that are pure?
  • How did we get rid of Finky eventually? What was the magic nudge?
  • Brooks wrote:
    Quilette seems like a bad website.

It's actually the best a man can get.
  • JRPC wrote:
    It's actually highly relevent.

It speaks to his intentions.
    So it’s entirely legitimate to ignore the arguments or statements someone has made and criticise them entirely according to their intentions?

Cool cool. So “Murray is a racist” is now fine and we can put all this to bed then, yeah? (Not that Vox ever made that claim, but there we go).

You’re flip-flopping all over the place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!