Infinity War Spoilers thread
  • Well now. I enjoyed that ride.

Introducing time travel/control removes all sense of peril though, doesn’t it? The time stone fucks dramatic tension into the bin. Having Strange casually check out all possible futures and then pick the one winner (and then letting him be the one making the biggest single strategic decision in the movie) just sorta renders everything a bit moot.

We know the good guys are going to win out, all that’s up for grabs is how much it costs them.

Still fun though.
  • So much squeeee!!!! Loved so many bits like Drax and Starlord flirting with Thor and the Titan fight and the dwarf and scarlet witch. Loki deaded :( Thanos was the best baddie so far. By miles. But how come Thor is suddenly so overpowered? So confirmed dead is Heimdall,Loki,Gamorah and Vision? I must say though I didn't like iron man's magic new armour.

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Gamora and Vision come back.  A version of Vision was likely uploaded to the magical Wakandan super-computer.  And Gamora may well pop back out once the soul stone is returned?  Loki and Heimdall seemed to be pretty definitively toast though.
  • poprock wrote:
    Well now. I enjoyed that ride.

Introducing time travel/control removes all sense of peril though, doesn’t it? The time stone fucks dramatic tension into the bin. Having Strange casually check out all possible futures and then pick the one winner (and then letting him be the one making the biggest single strategic decision in the movie) just sorta renders everything a bit moot.

We know the good guys are going to win out, all that’s up for grabs is how much it costs them.

Still fun though.

It was always going to be this way though - it’s Marvel. It the journey, not the destination, that interests me.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I enjoyed the cinema experience for this one. Packed screening at 4pm on Thursday. Adults, teenagers, little kids with parents, losers on their own like me. People gasped, someone actually cheered at one point. And at the end the entire auditorium sat through the credits for the post-credits scene. 

When I saw Black Panther (a week or so after release in the mid-week afternoon) it was just me a couple of others sitting there through the credits. Cinema worker came in with her dustpan and brush and said, "Eh, are you okay?" 
    "Yeah," I replied. "Just waiting for the bit at the end."
    Cue a baffled, "Oh, ok..." followed by her standing there at the bottom of the stairs waiting for us to leave.

Anyway, had lots of fun in Infinity War.
  • Haven't read the thread yet, but I will straight after this.

Saw it today in a glorious IMAX.

First off, it gives absolutely no fucks about anyone who dares go see it without being fully up to date. There are no introductions and there is very little context provided. It then throws the structure handbook out the window and provides a relentless barrage of STUFF for nearly 3 hours, with everything dialed up well past 11.

It shouldn't work, but amazingly I think it does.

Mostly.

The pre-credit sequence was glorious and left me grinning. Thor being introduced already defeated on the floor, Hulk getting taken to pieces by Thanos (loved Loki's "we have a Hulk" quip with ties back to A1), and then of course Loki's death. I thought it was done brilliantly. He's been a great character and this rounded his arc off perfectly. Coming good for his brother, and then trying to have a pop at Thanos. Loved it and gave some immediate dread and gravity.

Also loved all of the NYC stuff with Strange and Iron Man leading into the fight with those CG dudes.

When the Guardians turned up it lost me a little. Some of the banter with Thor went too far for me. Broke my sense of immersion. When Pratt was mimicking Thor accent and stuff - bit too much.

That process repeated a few times. It pulled me in for a bit, then something happened that pushed me back out.

So much there to LOVE;
    Iron Man’s new suit, Thanos, Giant Dinkledge, significant deaths (Vision and Loki gone for good, Gamorra could return but hope not), Red Skull cameo, the sheer scope of the damn thing.

Nowhere near the enough Cap in it. He barely registered for me.

Liked the ending (although have long predicted it). Obviously given who was killed off, there is now absolutely no ambiguity at all about whether this is going to be reversed or not, but that’s fine. It's still a big bold ending for a film of this type.  

And so we’re left with the old guard going into part 2. Cap, IM (with a still pending reconciliation between those two), Hulk, Window and Hawk rallying together one last time to save the universe before bowing out for good. Predicting a more intimate second half. Less universe-hoping, more feels.

I loved Infinity War. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than anything as packed as this has any right to be.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Also...

45984_original.gif

This is not in the movie!
  • And the post-credit gave me shivers.

Although he probably should have pressed that button a few times already.
  • Gremill wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Well now. I enjoyed that ride. Introducing time travel/control removes all sense of peril though, doesn’t it? The time stone fucks dramatic tension into the bin. Having Strange casually check out all possible futures and then pick the one winner (and then letting him be the one making the biggest single strategic decision in the movie) just sorta renders everything a bit moot. We know the good guys are going to win out, all that’s up for grabs is how much it costs them. Still fun though.
    It was always going to be this way though - it’s Marvel. It the journey, not the destination, that interests me.

Because I'm a bit slow, I didn't connect Strange sacrificing the stone to save Tony to him looking at the possible futures. 

That makes a lot more sense now. 

Good guys will win of course, but there's more cost to play with here than usual. (More) heroes are gonna die.
  • Warlock is going to be in Guardians 3. Don't think they want to go too deep into the cosmic abstracts, though they did introduce Mistress Death in this one. She was in the guise of young Gamora after the click of the fingers.

Wait wat?
  • I don't understand why people still go to watch superhero movies. Suckers, one and all.
  • At this point it could well be "so I understand all the memes".
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I don't understand why people still go to watch superhero movies. Suckers, one and all.

Because.....I enjoy watching them?
    You rang.....
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    At this point it could well be "so I understand all the memes".

This is it
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I don't understand why people still go to watch superhero movies. Suckers, one and all.

Because we find them...fun and entertaining? God forbid.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep, I find them all 3 1/2 out of 5 and that's better than good.
  • Sorry, but I'm Team Thanos.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Sorry, but I'm Team Thanos.

It did occur to me throughout the film that the entire film could easily be told from Thanos’ perspective, with the Avengers playing the bad guys role as they try to stop him saving the universe. He’s basically just a radical environmentalist.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Warlock is going to be in Guardians 3. Don't think they want to go too deep into the cosmic abstracts, though they did introduce Mistress Death in this one. She was in the guise of young Gamora after the click of the fingers.

Wait wat?

It's not confirmed, and it's my personal take, but the reason Thanos wants to wipe out half of all life is to "court Death", which was in one of the post credits trailers of another film. It's central to his character in the comics.

If that spirit was really Gamora, I doubt she'd be pleased at what he did.
  • Gremill wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Sorry, but I'm Team Thanos.
    It did occur to me throughout the film that the entire film could easily be told from Thanos’ perspective, with the Avengers playing the bad guys role as they try to stop him saving the universe. He’s basically just a radical environmentalist.
    He's basically incel, RoK misunderstood.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    CONFIRMED
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm in here cos lol spoilers, do I genuinely have to watch all 50 other superhero movies before this one or what
  • It's tat, DS. Utter gobshite. Save your 13 quid for tipping camhoes like me, you won't regret it
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    as if am going cinema for anything mate, just waiting for the ol' yarr
  • I'm in here cos lol spoilers, do I genuinely have to watch all 50 other superhero movies before this one or what
    Why bother though, if you know you already dislike the genre?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's the old be part of the zeitgeist I reckon.
  • So was Jeremenyremeny Remner in this or not?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    I'm in here cos lol spoilers, do I genuinely have to watch all 50 other superhero movies before this one or what
    Why bother though, if you know you already dislike the genre?

I've had some fun with the genre not gonna lie I just find the fact that pretty much all the films hit the same checklist baffling
  • Just feeding people the trash they want
  • Thanos in the HOOOOOUSE!
    Red Letter Media review is up, just watch that DS.
  • So was Jeremenyremeny Remner in this or not?

He is not.  There’s a brief throwaway line about him and Ant Man being under house arrest, or at the pub or something.  I’m guessing he’ll have a biggish role in the next one instead (and that at least some of his family will have melted courtesy of Thanos.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!