Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Seeing Curtis playing a game which tickles my fancy and popping him a few questions about it reminded me of how I first found myself skim reading the garbled nonsense of the old Edge forum and joining up in the first place.

Long ago, I'd jumped on to the new generation of consoles with an Xbox 360 as Halo 2 MP was my addiction at the time. I was happy with the console, but there was a PS3 game which caught my eye after reading Edge. Fortunately it was a Japanese only release, so the temptation to buy a new console for one game wasn't quite there. Roll on a few months and it's down for a European release. I was excited but cautious, the game was devisive and a lot of people were being put off my the difficulty and lack of hand holding, but a lot of that was music to my ears. I needed more information, so typed the name of the game into Google and started working my way through the few reviews and stumbled upon a thread on the Edge forum. I'd read Edge, saw Online/Offline etc. but online forms were not something I'd dabbled with in the past, they the domain of spotty nerds innit? Dare I dip a toe into the murky waters?

Turns out this was exactly what I needed, honest opinions of people playing the game, struggling with and overcoming the difficulties found within and being rewarded for their efforts, all the while posting (spoiler free) tales of their exploits for the benefit of the community. On the back of their discussions I felt better about weighing over £300+ to play a fucking video game, and was delighted to find out that they were true to their words and I loved the game they had been describing.

If you haven't already guessed, the game was Demon's Souls and the forumites were Curtis, Kilted Moose and a few others I'm sorry to forget. I still remember going to the hall of fame thing the first time I got to the Nexus and seeing Curtis' guy proudly holding a top three position on the EU leaderboard.

So I have those guys to thank, and the rest of you know who to blame for drawing my eye to this hidden patch of the internet, as without them I'd not be here.

So, what brought you lot here then? Was it a game, console, someone's posts? What got you reading these pages and what made you dive in, sign up, and chuck your opinions around with such wanton abandon?
  • It was 2005 and a magazine I was still reading at that point had a web forum. Nothing more.
  • I was a bit wary of the Edge forum for ages, so I lurked, but the draw of online/offline was real.  Was only an active member of one other forum before Edge (or since, if we count the B&B as the new Edge forum), so I was expecting to be annihilated by meanies within minutes of signing up because internet.  It took me years to gradually build up to the point where I was comfortable posting all the crap I do now.  Was a bit starstruck by Escape, always liked the way his nonsense made sense.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    It was 2005 and a magazine I was still reading at that point had a web forum. Nothing more.

Interesting.
  • I signed up when I was looking to work in the industry.
    I thought, given the magazine, there would be some people here with insider knowledge and advice, how wrong I was.

I stayed because the chat wasn't like any other online forum or comments section.
  • I can't remember and I walk the halls every night rattling the doors, desperately trying to leave, but they are always locked.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I was a bit wary of the Edge forum for ages, so I lurked, but the draw of online/offline was real.  Was only an active member of one other forum before Edge (or since, if we count the B&B as the new Edge forum), so I was expecting to be annihilated by meanies within minutes of signing up because internet.  It took me years to gradually build up to the point where I was comfortable posting all the crap I do now.  Was a bit starstruck by Escape, always liked the way his nonsense made sense.

I looked for a previous version of this thread, as I knew we had one, but funnily enough Escape killed it stone dead with a picture of a girl sucking her teddy bear's cock, so I thought it better to start anew.
  • I needed something to do during computing classes in high school.
  • Edge magazine brought me to the forum. Player one made me stay.

And argue.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Brooks wrote:
    It was 2005 and a magazine I was still reading at that point had a web forum. Nothing more.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You, Paul.

You brought me here. <3
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I can't remember and I walk the halls every night rattling the doors, desperately trying to leave, but they are always locked.

You’re our Temp now.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I was a bit wary of the Edge forum for ages, so I lurked, but the draw of online/offline was real.  Was only an active member of one other forum before Edge (or since, if we count the B&B as the new Edge forum), so I was expecting to be annihilated by meanies within minutes of signing up because internet.  It took me years to gradually build up to the point where I was comfortable posting all the crap I do now.  Was a bit starstruck by Escape, always liked the way his nonsense made sense.

I looked for a previous version of this thread, as I knew we had one, but funnily enough Escape killed it stone dead with a picture of a girl sucking her teddy bear's cock, so I thought it better to start anew.

That was my thread as well, the bastard!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Needed a distraction during college and was a very avid reader of Edge, seemed a natural next step. Aug/Sept '05.
  • Some people at uni were talking about the Edge forum. One of them was Weadre. I have no idea why I started posting or am still here.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Started seeing a girl and therefore going out less and decided the PS2 was a piece of shit and the Wii was the future
  • Got given an Edge subscription as a birthday present and had always been interested in joining a forum. My brother was heavily involved in another forum (long since shutdown and disbanded) but I didn’t want to join that and just be ‘Wolvieware’s brother’. Decided to try the Edge forum, was just becoming more confident with posting there when it morphed into this site here. I joined the movement and have maintained my 75% lurking 25% posting style ever since.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I wanted to be cool.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It was back in the misty days of yore, when the internet was full of promise, and we all thought it would empower us, allowing a sharing of ideas and a bright future for humanity.

Sadly, it turned out to just be a place where people call each other twats, 140 characters at a time, and where the alt-right fap to Ayn Rand quotes.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:

me too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    It was back in the misty days of yore, when the internet was full of promise, and we all thought it would empower us, allowing a sharing of ideas and a bright future for humanity.

Sadly, it turned out to just be a place where people call each other twats, 140 characters at a time, and where the alt-right fap to Ayn Rand quotes.

• krs wrote:
    I wanted to be cool.

You idiot!
  • I arrived as a by product of stalking some erudite gristle.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tempy wrote:

I did wonder.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just confirming your bias for you :p
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I wanted a place to go where everybody knew my name.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Brooks wrote:
    Basically this. I was on the Edge forum in its previous incarnation. Once that closed I didn’t get round to signing up for Rllmuk when everyone shifted there, and then the new Edge forum popped up so I thought I’d just carry on where I left off.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Long time Edge reader, lurked on the old Edge forum. Can’t recall my avatar name. Then I can’t recall how I ended up here, but guess it was due to a post from that forum. Lurked here for a while before starting to talk crap.
  • I wanted to find a friend
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It'll happen at some point, maybe.
  • Reading Edge and not knowing what a forum was I thought I'd take a look to see if anyone else shared my thoughts on the down hill slope I felt PES had been on since the first ISS Pro Evolution soccer on the ps1(were talking around 2006 when I joined).
    Nobody shared that opinion ha.

I stuck around for a good couple of years or so as I had started playing cod 2 with a young Scottish lad on the forum and his mate apostate soul. That then turned into gears of war with a larger group which was some of the best gaming I'd had online.

Life took over, first mortgage, kids etc and I wasn't seen for a good few years but just a couple of months ago I switched on my 360 for the first time in ages and saw all the forumites on my friends list and wondered where the fuck they all went as I couldn't find the edge forum anymore.

Anyway you were all bloody here so I joined up.

‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!